Teldrassil destroyed off camera?

Story Forum
So, with the new alpha PTR information that we've seen, there has so far been nothing about the destruction of Teldrassil in either questing or scenarios. Meanwhile, we've seen a wealth of leaked information about the destruction of Undercity that indicates it will be a violent affair participated in by both the Alliance and Horde players that the Alliance wins but at a heavy cost. Or, that the Horde loses while inflicting heavy damage.

At the end of the day these two events will have the same impact on the story. A capital left uninhabitable, a people left homeless, and the factions out for revenge and pulling no punches. But displaying the Alliance victory at the forefront of the narrative, while by all accounts the Horde victory appears like it's going to handled off camera, definitely doesn't feel great.

Obviously the wheel turns and during that loss the Horde is able to salvage some pride by the way they inflicted such heavy casualties on the Alliance army. Also immediately after that loss the Horde player gets to humiliate the Alliance by infiltrating their capital and freeing our captured heroes. So it's a minor thing, but it's a minor thing that's sticking with me for now.
Welcome to what happened to Cata for the Alliance but in reverse.
I don’t like a major turning point in the war happening off screen. Seems like something they’ll use as an excuse to just shove Night Elves into a corner for the entire expansion.
It's a bit harder to portray a giant tree burning down in game.
I think it'll be the pre-event so not technically in BfA, but it's certainly possible it could be the novel only.
01/26/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Kharinak

Thing is there’s already an in-engine depiction of it in the trailer
01/26/2018 10:15 AMPosted by Valko
I don’t like a major turning point in the war happening off screen. Seems like something they’ll use as an excuse to just shove Night Elves into a corner for the entire expansion.

There is that side of it too. Not as easy for me to see but, in losing Undercity we did get a significant display of Forsaken power and cunning, even if its just to make sure feelings aren't hurt too badly. If the script were flipped and Teldrassil's destruction was to be portrayed, it's only reasonable to assume we'd get a similar display of cunning and power from the Night Elves.

Doing it off camera makes it entirely too possible that they'll ultimately be viewed as helpless, unprepared, or passive in the destruction of their capital.
01/26/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Valko
01/26/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Kharinak

Thing is there’s already an in-engine depiction of it in the trailer
Where? I don't recall that. The features trailer or something?
I just assumed it would be an animated short similar to the Harbingers shorts given the artwork we've seen of it so far.

As a Horde main I'm not terribly disappointed. The Undercity battle seems to have some strong moments for us given that even in victory, the Alliance seems like they won't be able to claim the city itself.
The very first build isn't enough to say what will or won't be added. They know its going to be datamined. So perhaps if there is some twist to it, they're delaying the public mining it.
01/26/2018 10:23 AMPosted by Shippyship
The very first build isn't enough to say what will or won't be added. They know its going to be datamined. So perhaps if there is some twist to it, they're delaying the public mining it.

Maybe, but.... both Legion and Warlords of Draenor opened with a single shared experience presented to players before their first leveling zone. Tanaan Jungle and Broken Shore. Both Warlords and Mists of Pandaria had a single shared pre-event, the assault on Blasted Lands and the destruction of Theramore, viewed from different perspectives.

So it's possible that BfA will have two different pre-expansion events, but it doesn't seem to be the way they like to transition into new expansions. What I've come to expect is a single big event and in this case it looks like that single big event will be the Siege of Undercity.
Personally, it'll probably be done off camera, yeah. More and more it seems like it happened for the sake of parity - that a city on each side is destroyed. But still no datamined scenario for that, no warfront there, etc.
01/26/2018 10:17 AMPosted by Reignac
I think it'll be the pre-event so not technically in BfA, but it's certainly possible it could be the novel only.
I'm leaning this way as well.

Besides, it's not like it's a Human capital.
01/26/2018 10:08 AMPosted by Gibbet
So, with the new alpha PTR information that we've seen, there has so far been nothing about the destruction of Teldrassil in either questing or scenarios. Meanwhile, we've seen a wealth of leaked information about the destruction of Undercity that indicates it will be a violent affair participated in by both the Alliance and Horde players that the Alliance wins but at a heavy cost. Or, that the Horde loses while inflicting heavy damage.

At the end of the day these two events will have the same impact on the story. A capital left uninhabitable, a people left homeless, and the factions out for revenge and pulling no punches. But displaying the Alliance victory at the forefront of the narrative, while by all accounts the Horde victory appears like it's going to handled off camera, definitely doesn't feel great.

Obviously the wheel turns and during that loss the Horde is able to salvage some pride by the way they inflicted such heavy casualties on the Alliance army. Also immediately after that loss the Horde player gets to humiliate the Alliance by infiltrating their capital and freeing our captured heroes. So it's a minor thing, but it's a minor thing that's sticking with me for now.

Teldrassil is going to be the climax of the book, IMO.
My biggest worry about it being book-only is that there will be some very complicated but ultimately reasonable reason behind it, but that won't be communicated in game.

Book-readers will know that the tree burned down for some very specific set of reasons, while the vast majority of the playerbase will only know "Sylvanas did it because she bad."

By which I mean - literally, exactly what happened in Cataclysm. An expansion based on a war caused by external factors that don't exist anywhere in the game.
01/26/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Gavik
My biggest worry about it being book-only is that there will be some very complicated but ultimately reasonable reason behind it, but that won't be communicated in game.

Book-readers will know that the tree burned down for some very specific set of reasons, while the vast majority of the playerbase will only know "Sylvanas did it because she bad."

By which I mean - literally, exactly what happened in Cataclysm. An expansion based on a war caused by external factors that don't exist anywhere in the game.

That's WHY it's going to be the climax of the book.
I'm gonna echo what others have said and point out that this is the very first alpha build. I think we'll still get to see what happens to Teldrassil in-game. This is all JUST starting out.

Heck, the current UC storyline is subject to change too. I'd be surprised if it actually made it to live.
Heck, the current UC storyline is subject to change too. I'd be surprised if it actually made it to live.

I am not. I mean if there was supposely a pre expansion event involving Darnassus why wouldnt Blizzard add that first/test it first. Instead of skipping and adding Undercity stuff first.
I'm hoping they're going to show it in a big cinematic and that it'll be revealed just before launch =P
01/26/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Zerde
I am not. I mean if there was supposely a pre expansion event involving Darnassus why wouldnt Blizzard add that first/test it first. Instead of skipping and adding Undercity stuff first.

Not all projects are completed in a linear fashion. And even that is assuming Darnassus would be a pre expac event and not something else.