LA/Brazil Servers are a Problem!

General Discussion
01/19/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Augustoc
ITT: Racism running rampant and Blizzard not giving a damn, as usual.

This is nonsense. Disliking other languages when you selected a english server isn't racism. Its weird Americans are one of the only people that get called racist for expecting people in their region to speak the same language. But if we was to visit a country or played a game that didn't speak/support english we would be expected to learn their language. Now you tell me whos really being racist here.
01/19/2018 05:02 PMPosted by Vampiriç
When Puerto Rico got their big storm a few months back I can't be the only one that thought, "So... does this mean Ragnaros is down too?"

lol, ragnaros's server is in chicago, so no pretty sure they wouldn't be affected by a storm in Puerto Rico.
01/19/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Netharious

This is nonsense. Disliking other languages when you selected a english server isn't racism. Its weird Americans are one of the only people that get called racist for expecting people in their region to speak the same language. But if we was to visit a country or played a game that didn't speak/support english we would be expected to learn their language. Now you tell me whos really being racist here.

The only real solution to the problem is to make any queued content easy enough to do without communication. Blizzard isn't going to separate them because they can't support their own queues.
01/19/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Netharious

Servers are not grouped by language.
Look at Europe.

English is not the only language spoken in the Americas.
OP is correct in saying that roughly ~3% of Brazilians speak English fluently, however that only applies to the country as a whole. I guarantee the percentage goes up a fair amount when you only look at individuals who have an internet connection and play WoW.

That said, its still very low, and many who DO speak English refuse to communicate with anyone but other LA players, so I understand the frustration.

However, there is little reason to split them from the rest of the NA queues, as ALL queued content has a very high completion rate regardless of communication or lack thereof.

The real problems arise in Normal+ raiding, where people actually DO need to coordinate for some fights. However in this case there is, again, no point in Blizzard restricting LA players from showing up in the same listings, as individual group leaders can choose who they invite.

If that means they refuse to invite from a particular realm, that's fine. Personally, if I'm about to invite from an LA realm, I'll ask a question in English that demands something other than a Yes/No answer, to check understanding.

------------------------------------------------------

My response to those who shout "Racism! Xenophobia!" when people talk negatively about LA realms:

Calm down.

No, 'NA Realms' does not translate to 'English Realms'. I think most everyone knows this. However, unlike EU, there is a VERY clear majority on NA realms who speak English. It's uncommon to find someone who doesn't at least speak English as a second language fluently. Therefore, its more jarring when people run into a situation where communication is not possible.

People don't enjoy ramming their heads against a boss repeatedly without being able to properly fix problems.

Typically, LA players are the only ones on NA Realms who are likely to not speak English fluently, and their population is rather small compared to other areas due to not getting their own version of WoW until mid 2011.

Any reasonable person does not take issue with someone because they are from LA, but it's -entirely- reasonable to take issue with a communication wall preventing progress. Some people take that far enough as to blacklist LA realms due to the high liklihood of communication issues.

It's crappy, but it's reasonable behavior for those wanting to form clean and quick runs. You can't call that bigotry, or racism, or xenophobia, that's just efficiency.

Additionally, communication issues aside, there is a bit of culture clash between most NA players and LA players. While it's not an absolute statement, it's definitely more common for LA players to take the game a whole lot less seriously than most NA players - Which again is totally fine for 100% of queued content, but presents problems when we get to Normal+ raiding or Higher Mythic+ Dungeons where the expectation from Blizzard is that you take it more seriously.

Picture a bunch of bros crashing on the couch drinking beer and laughing, but trying to raid in a Heroic pug. Doesn't generally pan out well unless its farm content that everyone knows like the backs of their hands. I think that's generally how many LA players take WoW, even in "serious" content. Again I can't claim this as an absolute statement, but I remember reading something similar on the forums from a Brazilian player [who obviously did speak English] trying to explain why there was so much butting of heads between LA players and US players. If that's wrong, say so.

(FWIW: While I won't invite if someone can't prove to me they can speak English, When I -join- groups that are heavily speaking Portuguese, I will try to simplify my statements and run it through google translate. Better than nothing at least.)
I went into a violet hold heroic for my essences a day or so ago.

The tank was from some realm and when he zoned in my fps dropped from 60+ to 10 - 15 fps and ping went to at best 500 / 500

he ended up typing something I couldn't read / understand, and quit the group about the second fight.

FPS jumped back up, and went to 30 / 30

Not sure why or what happened, wish I had noticed the realm he was from.

don't care where someone is from if they can do what needs done, and I can understand them and them me.
01/19/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Ravens
Now both the PvE and PvP Latin American servers can be CRZ together and those players on those realms can simply hop back and both between PvP and PvE. Which will remove the reason for them to need to be CRZd with North American realms as the merger between PvE and PvP should be enough to make their world seem more populated without the need to CRZ with english-speaking realms.

I dont think you understand what the "problem" is, CRZ and world content have nothing to do with it. Why would that be a problem? there is no difference if a random player is from rangaros or illidan out in the wold.
Mm. Went ahead and added a big ol' chunk to the bottom of my post after seeing some of the responses in here. Scroll up 3 posts.

It's not racism. If anything, Blizzard should punish YOU for throwing that word around lightly.
Keep seeing people saying the reason why we're grouped with the BR/LA realms is to keep queue times down. They have, what, 5-6 servers? We have well over 100. Whose queue time is being kept down? Ours or theirs? Seems more like a QoL thing for them to keep their queues short while we get stuck with people who don't know English. Losing the BR/LA servers from the NA queues won't change our times much but it will drastically change theirs.

But then why can't Blizzard just merge them with the EU servers instead? Latency? They already suffer that as it is and the Oceanic servers have it worse than the BR/LA ones so it's not beyond Blizzard to not care for latency when grouping realms. Meanwhile, if we end up grouped with BR/LA people, we could very well suffer lag so again we're the ones to suffer just so they have some QoL improvements.

Blizzard's not likely to change anything regarding us being stuck with the BR/LA realms. Just hope Blizzard doesn't decided to connect our realms to theirs via their "server mergers". If that happens, I can see a massive surge in complaints. For now, just be glad they're only grouped with us in fairly easy to understand content. And if you're doing something with LFG, you can just avoid joining their groups or inviting them.
01/19/2018 05:16 PMPosted by Moussa
Maybe because they can speak English they just don't want to talk to you

hue hue hue??

Las personas de LA y Brasilia no entiendes las mecanicas o ingles.

I can barely understand what you're saying...

Brazilians don't speak spanish either.

Despite your source, in games, most brazilians speak english. It's the language of gaming.

Also, language is not the criteria for queues, or Europe would have god-knows how many segregated queues.

Language is the criteria for realms.

The tank was from some realm and when he zoned in my fps dropped from 60+ to 10 - 15 fps and ping went to at best 500 / 500

...LA/BR REALMS ARE LOCATED IN CHICAGO.

Stop talking like you suddently connected to a clandestine realm in Indonesia.

Bull!@#$ story.
01/19/2018 06:46 PMPosted by Dyra
Meanwhile, if we end up grouped with BR/LA people, we could very well suffer lag so again we're the ones to suffer just so they have some QoL improvements.

Again LA servers are in Chicago, you dont experience lag when playing with them.

Keep seeing people saying the reason why we're grouped with the BR/LA realms is to keep queue times down. They have, what, 5-6 servers? We have well over 100. Whose queue time is being kept down? Ours or theirs? Seems more like a QoL thing for them to keep their queues short while we get stuck with people who don't know English. Losing the BR/LA servers from the NA queues won't change our times much but it will drastically change theirs.

You say this like blizzard is hiding that fact, everyone knows is to help LA servers have normal queue times.
Not sure why no one hasn't created a addon that will give basic commands and say them in serval languages for basic group/pvp communication. I would love this addon.

However I suppose I could make some macro's if I had the will to think it over with a translator on hand.
01/19/2018 06:08 PMPosted by Bertane
lol, ragnaros's server is in chicago, so no pretty sure they wouldn't be affected by a storm in Puerto Rico.

Well, the Latin Americans that are always 70 yards away from me are certainly not in Chicago.
I actually have not run into a problem Latin America player in a VERY long time. Heck most of the time I have no idea where anyone is from anyway. They either play decently or they don't. If the content is getting done who cares.

Also this horse has been pounded to atoms by now.
But then why can't Blizzard just merge them with the EU servers instead?

The game would be unplayable. We have 2 submarine cables conecting our country to Portugal, and the conections aren't direct. The route wold probably be BR -> USA -> EU. Sometimes we can't play the game with the server at USA because some route is down, and the others get too many connections. Now add the route to EU, and we can quit the game.
It should be optional, I'd gladly wait a few more minutes to avoid playing with people from Ragnaros.

How do you know what race they are?
I wasn't aware of a skin color indicator in game.
01/19/2018 07:21 PMPosted by Chucknorris
It should be optional, I'd gladly wait a few more minutes to avoid playing with people from Ragnaros.

Can't do this either because it would became very popular to block Ragnaros/other realms and would noticeably hurt LA queue times while not really affecting the rest of NA queue times.
01/19/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Anareiel
If you use the Internet and don't understand English, you're crippling yourself. By mutual custom and usage, English is the 'common tongue' of online.

Live with it.

It's the common tounge of the planet at this point.