The "time played" metric

General Discussion
Is garbage and designing the game that way has made me play less and care less about anything non raiding in the game. I log in raid a few hours then pretty much don't touch the game again until the following Tuesday aside from clearing out my world quest caches every few days. Good job on your garbage way of trying to get people to play more. I guess tedium = success.
So basically like every expansion prior and just like every other MMO.
Is garbage and designing the game that way has made me play less and care less about anything non raiding in the game. I log in raid a few hours then pretty much don't touch the game again until the flowing Tuesday aside from clearing out my world quest caches every few days. Good job on your garbage way of trying to get people to play more. I guess tedium = success.

what do you mean?
Um how does that make sense are you the type that wish to play games where u pay for something and u win It should be based around how long you play it what should someone playing the character for 10+ years or w/e be weaker and with less than someone who has played 3 months or should balance srry but that makes n sense at all time based is never trash.
01/30/2018 04:30 AMPosted by Lathander

It's true that MMO's are grindy by nature. It's also true that Blizz ramped up the RNG elements in WoW when they moved to this new metric. It's a bit scummy, imo, but at the end of the day it's all about that $$$.
you do realize that "time played" or /played has been in the game since release.... j/s

nothing new here
I should have been more clear. Their time played metric they go by now instead of designing to drive more subscriptions and be good they design content to be tedious now And it's trash and they need to find a new view point. For years they didnt design the game that way. Now they design most everything in mind for the time metric and not the fun metric. I've played this game since beta 2004. Yes stuff took longer in different inerations of the game. However it wasn't specifically designed to take forever just to keep you subbed.
01/30/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Signey
It's also true that Blizz ramped up the RNG elements in WoW when they moved to this new metric.

Except that... the "new metric" which they moved to is monthly active users, which counts the number of people who were active at least once in a given month. If you log in once a month to chat with your guildies and I spend six hours a day grinding Mythic+, we both count as 1 MAU.
01/30/2018 04:39 AMPosted by Cmmonk
I should have been more clear. Their time played metric they go by now instead of designing to drive more subscriptions and be good they design content to be tedious now And it's trash and they need to find a new view point. For years they didnt design the game that way. Now they design most everything in mind for the time metric and not the fun metric. I've played this game since beta 2004. Yes stuff took longer in different inerations of the game. However it wasn't specifically designed to take forever just to keep you subbed.

where do you get this played metric stuff from? i am asking cause idk much about it and want to look it up
01/30/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Signey
01/30/2018 04:30 AMPosted by Lathander

It's true that MMO's are grindy by nature. It's also true that Blizz ramped up the RNG elements in WoW when they moved to this new metric. It's a bit scummy, imo, but at the end of the day it's all about that $$$.

The "RNG" ramp up isn't half as high as it was in vanilla and BC. They also allow you to get items from way more sources now which actually decreases the grind overall in the long run.
01/30/2018 04:40 AMPosted by Tamyndria
01/30/2018 04:39 AMPosted by Cmmonk

where do you get this played metric stuff from? i am asking cause idk much about it and want to look it up

It was posted on mmo champion when blizzard stopped announcing subscription numbers and announced they were moving to a time played version of tracking players and measuring success of the game. Because they bled off so many subs with their trash in WoD.
01/30/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Cmmonk

It was posted on mmo champion when blizzard stopped announcing subscription numbers and announced they were moving to a time played version of tracking players. Because they bled off so many subs with their trash in WoD.

ty
01/30/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Teyflon
you do realize that "time played" or /played has been in the game since release.... j/s

nothing new here

You do realize that this isn't what's being discussed here.... j/s

Some time ago (actually about three years now) Blizzard's quarterly shareholder calls switched from reporting direct subscriptions to monthly active users. This change was made for a number of reasons: it's the industry standard, they had an increasing number of people funding their playtime with tokens, and it makes it much easier to cross-compare with other Blizzard games that are one-time purchases (SC2, OW) or free to play (Hearthstone).

Certain people are convinced that because of this it's to the devs' benefit to make gameplay that encourages people to grind a lot, even though it doesn't actually make any kind of difference.

01/30/2018 04:43 AMPosted by Lathander
The "RNG" ramp up isn't half as high as it was in vanilla and BC. They also allow you to get items from way more sources now which actually decreases the grind overall in the long run.

It's also a lot less binary. In BC if your trinket didn't drop you got jack. In Legion, if exactly the right trinket doesn't drop, you'll probably get one that's at least pretty good. Of course, for a lot of people on the forums, everything that isn't BiS is absolute trash, but, well, there's no helping some people.
01/30/2018 04:46 AMPosted by Tamyndria
It was posted on mmo champion when blizzard stopped announcing subscription numbers and announced they were moving to a time played version of tracking players. Because they bled off so many subs with their trash in WoD.

ty

You can google blizzard quarterly report and find definitions for both Monthly Active Users (MAU) and Daily Active Users (DAU) and how those numbers are calculated.
01/30/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Cmmonk
It was posted on mmo champion when blizzard stopped announcing subscription numbers and announced they were moving to a time played version of tracking players and measuring success of the game. Because they bled off so many subs with their trash in WoD.

MAUs are a little different from time played, though.

Now, it's true that the MAU metric has seems to have affected their game design in that they've been throwing down a few more obstacles (or "gates" as this forum likes to call them) in front of goals that players want to achieve: flying, Allied races, etc. But IMO that hasn't changed a lot from the grinds of older expansions, and all of that content is optional anyway. *shrug*

Edit: unlike in the past when certain grinds were required to do certain content such as raids.
Time is money, friend.
MAU's and DAU's which stand for (respectively) Monthly Active Users and Daily Active Users.

They also discussed a "time played" metric. Funny, I guess I haven't heard of the other sub-based MMOs using those terms - just acti-Blizzard.

Maybe I'm out of the loop on that stuff.
01/30/2018 04:38 AMPosted by Teyflon

nothing new here

Except it was extended by what you chose to do, not what they slowed down just to keep you doing it longer so it looked better for them.

Time played vs. time wasted.

edit- they could very easily buff XP and let us level in half the time so those that want to experience "more content" could just level twice. Difficulty would be exactly the same but progression wouldnt be throttled just to imply improved activity by time allotted.

Not to mention more $$$ for wasted hours and purchased boosts.
01/30/2018 04:40 AMPosted by Tayseri
Except that... the "new metric" which they moved to is monthly active users, which counts the number of people who were active at least once in a given month. If you log in once a month to chat with your guildies and I spend six hours a day grinding Mythic+, we both count as 1 MAU.

That's interesting. Help me understand why their investor summary lists "daily time spent" (DAU, if you will) as a key highlight?