The "time played" metric

General Discussion
01/30/2018 04:28 AMPosted by Cmmonk
Is garbage and designing the game that way has made me play less and care less about anything non raiding in the game. I log in raid a few hours then pretty much don't touch the game again until the following Tuesday aside from clearing out my world quest caches every few days. Good job on your garbage way of trying to get people to play more. I guess tedium = success.

I hate to break it to you.. but for all of your ire ,you fit into their "perfect customer" metric.

They dont care how LONG you play each month.. they care that they get their $15 or the $20 token. But thanks for keeping my game going.

D-: sorry.
01/30/2018 04:47 AMPosted by Tayseri
01/30/2018 04:40 AMPosted by Tamyndria
where do you get this played metric stuff from? i am asking cause idk much about it and want to look it up

Some time ago (actually about three years now) Blizzard's quarterly shareholder calls switched from reporting direct subscriptions to monthly active users. This change was made for a number of reasons: it's the industry standard, they had an increasing number of people funding their playtime with tokens, and it makes it much easier to cross-compare with other Blizzard games that are one-time purchases (SC2, OW) or free to play (Hearthstone).

Certain people are convinced that because of this it's to the devs' benefit to make gameplay that encourages people to grind a lot, even though it doesn't actually make any kind of difference.

01/30/2018 04:43 AMPosted by Lathander
The "RNG" ramp up isn't half as high as it was in vanilla and BC. They also allow you to get items from way more sources now which actually decreases the grind overall in the long run.

It's also a lot less binary. In BC if your trinket didn't drop you got jack. In Legion, if exactly the right trinket doesn't drop, you'll probably get one that's at least pretty good. Of course, for a lot of people on the forums, everything that isn't BiS is absolute trash, but, well, there's no helping some people.

that's the best I've heard anyone explain that. ever.

thanks for that Tay!
01/30/2018 05:26 AMPosted by Lathander
They can but it isn't useful. What is a better metric is tracking the core players. Aka non casuals. Those have always been the backbone of of WoW. Casuals are now known as locust gamers and generally only worth caring about for 2-3 months.

If I'm not mistaken, weren't the casuals the heart of the main peak of WoW during Wotlk, and isn't it the hardcore players that blow threw the content faster, thus getting bored/spending less time in-game?
01/30/2018 04:28 AMPosted by Cmmonk
Is garbage and designing the game that way has made me play less and care less about anything non raiding in the game. I log in raid a few hours then pretty much don't touch the game again until the following Tuesday aside from clearing out my world quest caches every few days. Good job on your garbage way of trying to get people to play more. I guess tedium = success.

This little bit of forum mythology arises from an ignorance of how analytic metrics like Time Played are used. Time Played is derivative. Its pretty simple; people who play more are more engaged, so its a good way to articulate how much the product resonates with players. People who don't like the game don't play it much.

This shouldn't be a hard leap if you're not trying to fish around for why you don't like the game.

But the simple reality is that Time Played is not the target of the designers. You don't make a game as as successful as wow by trying to back into metrics. You use metrics to try and understand how people are receiving the game and you combine those metrics with other types of qualitative research to validate.
Where did the term time played even come from?

The earnings call slides use monthly active user (MAU) which registers if you log in once a month.

It doesn't matter if you of in for 1 minute or 100 hours that month it's treated the same per their definition of MAU in their PowerPoint slides.

For WoW it's probably a more realistic metric then subs, considering the numbers got inflated from China where they pay per hour so if someone bought 1 hour of game time it counted as a sub in the old reporting.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Where in the game is "time played" used for ANYTHING?

I know of ZERO things in WoW where the game looks at your time played. ZERO.

How can you claim the game is "designed that way"?

Just as one example, BLP for legendaries. It may be indirect, but this is absolutely a playtime gated mechanic that the game utilizes.

You do realize that a game can be designed to achieve something without being upfront about it, right?

I mis-spoke, when I said the game never looks at your time played.

I meant that I see nothing that is "designed that way" (designed to get players to spend more hours playing), as OP claims "the whole game is now".

Certainly BLP is not designed to get players to spend MORE hours playing. It is designed to REDUCE the hours needed to get more legendaries.
Can we please not necro threads? I don't think there is any value in a necro, especially conspiracy theories. -.-