Why Does 'Harder' Have To Mean 'Longer'?

General Discussion
If you just want to shove an alt to 110 in record time you are playing the wrong game.
01/17/2018 09:03 PMPosted by Lóst

You've tried this before, Blizzard. Back in the days of early Cata. And that was just dungeons. Remember how well that turned out?

Yup, and then after they started to listen to the complainers on the forums, subs started to drop. Subs were highest when the game was "hard", so it makes sense that they would try to recapture that.

Thing is, though? It was never "hard" to begin with (well, except in vanilla, but that was a different kind of hard for no good reason). You just have to...y'know... learn how to actually play the game.
Why does the forum topic list have to look like the subject line of !@#$%^ spam?
01/18/2018 06:53 AMPosted by Kennelcough
Why does the forum topic list have to look like the subject line of !@#$%^ spam?

It's trade name of a little blue pill. Why is that in the profanity filter?
If their metrics for success were laps around the world, you'd better believe they'd find a way to exploit that.

As it is, taking longer is all they are working towards.
I was one of the people that was excited for level scaling in zones etc, but then they decided it wasn’t enough and gave mobs 4x health whlist nerfing heirlooms to the ground.

There goes my leveling experience.
Title. I loved the idea of being able to level through a zone and maybe have somewhat more challenge doing so. I certainly wasn't looking for a longer grind to (soon to be) 120.

Heirloom nerfed to be worse than some quest items? What?
LFD dungeons buffed to pre nerf Cata level damage sponge hour long trashpulls? Why?
Leveling speed reduced on top of buffed mobs? Why is this fun?
WOD questing content overscaled to the point of requiring a group for a lot of solo quests? Sigh..

I know a lot of people have rose tinted goggles about the way things was back in the day. But those days are gone. MMOs have evolved, as has WoW. The idea of spending ages grinding to max to finally join your friends in relevant content is a throwback.

You've tried this before, Blizzard. Back in the days of early Cata. And that was just dungeons. Remember how well that turned out?

Seriously, I hope you let the hubris go here and just relax the scaling on a lot of stuff, buff heirlooms to their intended level of dungeon blues and make xp gains a little more generous in the old world.

Are there things that are "harder" that take the same amount of time?
01/17/2018 09:10 PMPosted by Vindurza
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯
I just don't like how they nerfed Heirloom... it's the dumbest thing ever...

We use Heirloom because we don't want to waste time leveling an alt to max time like we did on our Main, that's the whole point.

Now they nerfed it, even though the exp is still there, the fact quest item is better than them until your OVER level said quest... which moot the exp gain from Heirloom... it's dumb... -_-
. /s

This is where the problem comes from and is what people should be focusing on. To many selfish people on both sides when reverting this change would at least be middle ground. Also it just makes sense because that is exactly what looms are there for. Sad to see stupid run rampant especially from Blizz.
I'm not questing anymore on my lowbies. Ridiculous nerfs to exp. I'm not running dungeons anymore on my lowbies. Absurd time. (an hour as opposed to a M + {X})

Right now I can't run many old raids (ilvl is too low for M SoO). So, um, whose up for some RP?
01/17/2018 09:11 PMPosted by Egotasius
Because the only other way to make a game "harder" is if mobs one-shot you if you make a mistake. That's why harder has to be longer.

Longer fights, GOOD. Less XP to drag out the overall leveling process, on top of long fights, BAD. Very BAD
Leveling being harder doesn't have to mean longer. ESO has a better leveling system and it's harder and shorter. Blizzavision should take some notes.
01/18/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Edriel
Leveling being harder doesn't have to mean longer. ESO has a better leveling system and it's harder and shorter. Blizzavision should take some notes.

ESO also has a completely different combat system that allows it to do different things.
i like the leveling changes, but agree that the mobs damage needs to be buffed just a wee bit. Just to give a greater sense of danger.
Someone who did Pathfinder complaining about a long grind. Oh, the irony.
LFD dungeons buffed to pre nerf Cata level damage sponge hour long trashpulls? Why?

WOD questing content overscaled to the point of requiring a group for a lot of solo quests? Sigh..
Pretty extreme exaggerations.

I like how things are now. Everyone I have come in contact with in game likes how things are now. It's only GD that seems to complain about the changes. It's a very small amount of people. You're in the minority.
01/17/2018 09:15 PMPosted by Arlec
Moving away from one-shotting mobs is going to make the process longer no matter what. If they simply did more damage you would have to frequently stop and eat or heal yourself.

Not if experience was also buffed.
Everyone I have come in contact with in game likes how things are now. It's only GD that seems to complain about the changes. It's a very small amount of people. You're in the minority.

PREV

You speak for you, not "everyone I have come in contact with in game".

I speak for me.
01/18/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Rahmkota
Someone who did Pathfinder complaining about a long grind. Oh, the irony.

Pathfinder was not a grind. It was heavily time gated though.
The idea was always slower, not harder.