Lost the Silicon Lottery v.8700k

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Can't get stable 5.0ghz unless I go to 1.4v with high LLC.

Temps aren't an issue, 5.0 blue screens immediately unless i pump up to 1.4v....didn't even both with a stress test at that voltage.

I can do 4.9ghz @ 1.35v steadily so far, with medium LLC. Temps around 74c during load tests, 60 while gaming. VCore doesn't go past 1.344v during either tests or gaming.

Makes me sad that guys are getting 5.2ghz at 1.35v.

I suppose I should just be happy with 4.9ghz
Is your CPU delidded? Some people are able to eke out a few hundred+ more MHz after delidding
01/14/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Griefs
Is your CPU delidded? Some people are able to eke out a few hundred+ more MHz after delidding

no, but i probably won't bother with it.

4.9 @ 1.35 is probably okay, i guess.
If it makes you feel better, I blew up my 8700k that was able to get 5.0@1.275 and the new one I got struggles to maintain 4.7 at 1.2
01/14/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Aquorius
If it makes you feel better, I blew up my 8700k that was able to get 5.0@1.275 and the new one I got struggles to maintain 4.7 at 1.2

How'd you blow it up
I was that lucky one that received a bad power supply.
Took my ram, cpu, and motherboard with it.

Couldn't RMA the cpu cause well... delidded it. Got the other 3 replaced though.
Ouch. Sorry bro
I bought a 2nd 8700K cpu cause I purchased additional warranty on the main one so I can delid. I am not overclocking by much (4.2) and temps are like 44C average when playing wow. I would think that the temps would be lower, I might have a hotspot some where but the cooler is an H115I corsair so not sure what up, going to delid again cause I think I was paranoid and didn't apply enough liquid metal.
Shocking that running things out of spec can have unexpected results.
01/15/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Ziryus

iNTEL forced our hands cause they use cheap TIM on the CPU die. When I delided the first time I noticed there was hardly any TIM on there compared to some of the videos I watched.
01/15/2018 06:41 AMPosted by Tyrealle
01/15/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Ziryus

iNTEL forced our hands cause they use cheap TIM on the CPU die. When I delided the first time I noticed there was hardly any TIM on there compared to some of the videos I watched.

The entire concept of K chips is shady if for no other reason than that stock they run at a higher clock than non K chips. But that's what happens when a company has no competition for years.