Made a mistake

Games, Gaming and Hardware
These are two different builds I was recommended recently.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jwXY3F

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($280.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 HD3 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: *Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($75.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: *Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card ($267.89 @ B&H)
Case: *Corsair - SPEC-03 Blue ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.34 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99

and -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JW9NJV

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($99.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($75.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card ($267.89 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $908.39

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought all the parts for the Second listing, BUT I accidently bought the case from the First listing. Are the parts compatible with both cases regardless?
You should be OK. You have space for a bigger motherboard in the case you bought, but there is no harm in having a smaller form factor motherboard in a case made for a larger form factor. If you had gone the other direction, your new motherboard wouldn't fit in the Define case.
it will work but personally i'd return the case and get the size appropriate one.

for a short period of time i had a mini-itx inside a Corsair 750D and it felt weird.
There is 0 functional reason to return the case, but if you can't cope with knowing your case is a little bit bigger than it needs to be to fit your motherboard, feel free to return it.
01/13/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Griefs
There is 0 functional reason to return the case, but if you can't cope with knowing your case is a little bit bigger than it needs to be to fit your motherboard, feel free to return it.

You're not wrong

but it looks like there's a transparent side panel on that corsair?

that would bug me after a while if it was TOO unsightly.

I suppose there's a big difference between a mini itx and an atx, and not so much between a micro atx and an atx.

But functionally, of course not.

i like the look of the Fractal more than the Corsair; but again that's personal preference.
Way better that you made the mistake that way instead of the other way around. Otherwise, you'd be asking if it was okay to take a hacksaw to your motherboard to get it to fit.

That'll work, by the way, you can get it to fit if you saw off the parts that don't, but it won't actually run afterwards.*

* taken from a true hardware support story.
The fractal design case IMO is a better looking case and should also feel more premium due to the tempered glass instead of plastic side panel. As said before a mATX motherboard will fit in a ATX case, it will just look odd for the motherboard not filling up its given area.

The only 3 differences from both those builds was the CPU, case, and motherboard size. With a x370 chipset board on the non k skew CPU in the bios you should be able to enable all core boost so all cores can turbo to 4.0 GHz and that will be one sweet CPU.
01/13/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Salhezra
01/13/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Griefs

You're not wrong

but it looks like there's a transparent side panel on that corsair?

that would bug me after a while if it was TOO unsightly.

I suppose there's a big difference between a mini itx and an atx, and not so much between a micro atx and an atx.

But functionally, of course not.

i like the look of the Fractal more than the Corsair; but again that's personal preference.
Don't get me wrong; it would bother me, too, lol. Just not enough to go through the trouble of the return.