Benched from mythic raiding team

General Discussion
01/24/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Lanasong
Now I feel depressed and lost.

You are playing the game wrong

No not your dps/hps/ tanking . Just the game
Trust me OP, when the time comes for your dog to bite the bullet, you're going to regret not spending more time with him/her. Know what's important in life. Trust me on this.
01/24/2018 03:08 PMPosted by Aehl
No, I was "on call" when was an emergency services officer. Or working for an agency.

It's exactly the same thing as a raider.

If a person isnt going to be used for a raid night, then they should be told and the raid leader should know ahead of schedule who will be needed and who wont.

There's no guarantee they won't be brought in. That's why they're on standby. Raiders have lives, and emergencies can happen that opens a spot that needs to be filled. There's no, "X won't be needed" so they don't have to be available.

it is unfair, unreasonable and quite frankly, insulting to be art the "beck and call" of others. I also dont know of any mythic team that, on our servers at least, treats their members in this manner.

People are not assets, they are not disposable,and that "respect" I see prated here so often goes both ways.

Once again, you are part of a team and have a responsibility to your teammates. People aren't assets, but if you want to be a raider you need to be willing to set aside that time to be available. You don't have to sit there doing nothing. You can be doing anything else that you can drop at a moment's notice to fill a spot if it becomes available. Hell, I could be on standby right now arguing with you about the fact raiders on standby don't just sit there wasting time.

I am sure I dont. Then again I wouldnt want to be part of a raid team that treats me as a servant to be summoned or dismissed at will.

Simple respect for others.

Yeah. Again. You have no idea what you're talking about. Raiding is a team effort, and if the team is large enough to have more than the 20 available slots, someone's going to have to sit out. But that person is available to be brought in if it's needed - or for specific fights that are on farm that they need an item drop from. The respect that raiders have for each other is something that you can see, as they trust each other and the raid leader/guild to be fair to them.

If they don't want to potentially be sat and don't want to be on standby for whatever reason, they don't have to be in a raiding team.
01/24/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Aehl
Advice about keeping yourself on a raid team, from the expert on all things WoW, the man Aehl himself!

My time is as valuable to me as yours is to you. True or false.

That's how raiding works (in hardcore progression). You have a responsibility to your guild as a raider, and even though you're not in the raid at the moment, you still have to be there for it.

Why? Why would I be expected to cool my heels in front of a computer on the offchance "I might" be asked to raid? I have to ask: how often do they do this?

Hm?

That "responsibility" you use also goes the other way, doesnt it?

Isnt the rest of the team expected to be just as "responsible" when it comes to respecting other peoples time? In the time when he or she is sitting there, they could play another game, go out, do whatever...wouldnt you agree theres a very fine line between "responsibility" and deliberately wasting others time?

"You didnt raid this week but you have to be here the same time next week and we might ask you then"

You dont see the problem here? I sure as hell do.

You don't have to be online these days. Be within a text or Discord msg or Bnet app message.

The point is to stack the group. This fight may call for more melee over ranged. Be the melee on call, come in, help the team. That's the part I feel you're missing.
01/24/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Lanasong
Yesterday I was playing without any addons at a net cafe (which had a malfunction that prevented storing local files) So I dps'ed like !@#$ and died on High Command (while I had pod duty)

Don't do this. I have like one guy on my entire raid team that can play without addons. Modern mythic raids simply aren't designed for it.

Anyway, as others have said, try and improve. Make sure you get in a good heroic clear every week, smash some M+, and start looking at the logs of the top players for your class to see where you're going wrong. It's almost never the case that you can't stand to make some major improvements.

In any case, don't freak out about getting benched. My guild benches based mostly on class viability for whatever we're progging and whoever needs loot the most for our farm. Pretty much everyone's been benched at one point or another.
Heroic is a more acceptable, fun challenge anyway.
01/24/2018 03:08 PMPosted by Aehl
No, I was "on call" when was an emergency services officer. Or working for an agency.

You are not understanding

You refuse to understand. You will never understand because you don't want to.

My point, and other's points have gone way over your head. You are way too opinionated and act like a victim in every situation. You are not the victim here.

The OP can go do whatEVER he wants. But if he wants to raid with that team, he will go in when he is asked to. Just like a job, if you want to keep that job, you go in when you are asked to.

Before you say raiding isn't a job, that's NOT the point of that comparison. The point is that the OP is not full on off the team. He has become a fill in case other people have to go, or the comp has to change. If he wants to stay on the team, he will go in when he is asked to, but he is not obligated to sit at his computer and stare at it until he is asked to go in.

The OP could play another game, play on an alt, play with his dog, whatever he wants, as long as he can drop it and go into the raid when asked, which is completely reasonable. And if he wanted to go out, he can just say that he wont be able to make it tonight, and it will be respected, as it is with any other raider.

You are ridiculous.
01/24/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Aehl
Advice about keeping yourself on a raid team, from the expert on all things WoW, the man Aehl himself!

My time is as valuable to me as yours is to you. True or false.

That's how raiding works (in hardcore progression). You have a responsibility to your guild as a raider, and even though you're not in the raid at the moment, you still have to be there for it.

Why? Why would I be expected to cool my heels in front of a computer on the offchance "I might" be asked to raid? I have to ask: how often do they do this?

Hm?

That "responsibility" you use also goes the other way, doesnt it?

Isnt the rest of the team expected to be just as "responsible" when it comes to respecting other peoples time? In the time when he or she is sitting there, they could play another game, go out, do whatever...wouldnt you agree theres a very fine line between "responsibility" and deliberately wasting others time?

"You didnt raid this week but you have to be here the same time next week and we might ask you then"

You dont see the problem here? I sure as hell do.

I hope you never join a mythic raid team lol. When you join a mythic guild you make a commitment that you will be online for raids. You may not be raiding but they expect you to be online and prepared to raid. The goal of progression minded mythic guilds is to kill bosses quickly. Sometimes you will be the best option to do that and sometimes you won't. Just ask the guilds that sat ALL of their melee dps for Coven progress this tier.

Once progress on a boss is over guilds usually rotate in people who haven't killed that boss and/or still need upgrades from it. You can't have this selfish mindset if you hope to be part of a progression guild.
How do you think being on call at a job works?

WOW. is.Not . a. job.

Right, Being on call to raid in a computer game is just the same as being on call to go help save peoples homes in a major storm.

And just as important.

Got it.

You are ridiculous.

You treat this game far too seriously.

Done here.
01/24/2018 01:41 PMPosted by Hipsterdufus
Dogs > Humans.

CATS RULE.... just ask the Egyptians.
01/24/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Aehl
WOW. is.Not . a. job.

No, but like a job and like joining a team, you have responsibilities to your teammates to be there when they need you. Just because WoW shares similarities to a job doesn't make it one, but just because it's a game doesn't mean you can treat other players like garbage, burn bridges, and not respect others. It's part of being a member of a community.

Right, Being on call to raid in a computer game is just the same as being on call to go help save peoples homes in a major storm.

And just as important.

Got it.

Raiders take the game a lot more seriously than you do, obviously. They respect each other and agree to the responsibility of being available during raid times. Also I don't care in the slightest who you are in real life, nor do I believe a word you breathe. It has no bearing on this conversation.

Done here.

Not everyone enjoys getting the bare minimum out of the game.

If you're benched on the baseball team, you're still there for the team when you're needed. Accidents happen, emergencies happen, vacations happen.

It's fine that you do not see the enjoyment out of what those Mythic players partake in. But people sign up for knowing the expectations when they joined that specific group. You don't have to understand it, what you need to do is not hate on people enjoying their game the way they want to.
How do you think being on call at a job works?

WOW. is.Not . a. job.

And just as important.

Got it.

You are ridiculous.

Done here.

You have to understand that there is a difference between people who play this game casually and people who try to be the best in the world at it.

Lets take basketball for an example since that's a game too. I play on a team once a week super casually. We don't practice, most of us are not good but we just play to have fun. We don't really care if people can't make games. The members of the Golden State Warriors are expected to be at practice and every game on time and give 100%. They might not play every game, they might not play any game, but that is what is expected to be part of one of the best basketball organizations in the world. Same thing for Mythic raiding.

Not everyone plays this game for the same reasons you do.
WOW. is.Not . a. job.

I literally addressed that comment later down. Do not pass go, do not collect your 200 dollars.

Jakkh is right, You are a joke.
Mythic raiding is in a terrible spot right now. 20 people means you're NOT going to have good attendance rates if you only have 20, so you need to instead aim at ~30, but that means 10 get benched.

This will happen regardless of the guild you're in. This time you got sort of perma-benched, though, while a better guild would be rotating people so that everyone gets to play - and loot.

However, if this guild of yours is going only by performance metrics, expect it to die shortly. They have to care more about the reliable players, not the top performers. Top performers use guilds as stepping stones to better guilds, so attendance and loyalty should be the deciding factors. Unless the player also sucks, but I'm going to assume that this is not the issue at hand.

EDIT:
Also there is nothing wrong with just admitting that mythic raiding is not for you. It's not for me, either.
You know what i want to know? why is it that warriors can just jump to their order hall and yet i have to hoof it through the sewers to get to mine. I mean seriously.
01/24/2018 04:34 PMPosted by Mullokad
You know what i want to know? why is it that warriors can just jump to their order hall and yet i have to hoof it through the sewers to get to mine. I mean seriously.

Did you die in glorious combat and get chosen by Odyn himself? No? That's why.

Just realize that Blizzard really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hates warlocks.
We're the one class where this was said:

https://youtu.be/i-4u6gn1r4U

warning: language

We have to find the glowy light though. We also have to deal with a lot of body odor, valarjar don't bathe.

01/24/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Rubedo
Just realize that Blizzard really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hates warlocks.
We're the one class where this was said:

https://youtu.be/i-4u6gn1r4U

warning: language

Yeah, this was super frustrating. Warlocks have gotten the short end of the stick for a while. They're Shaman 2.0.
WOW. is.Not . a. job.

No, it's not, but being on a raid team is a commitment to other people. If you can't make that commitment then don't, just don't expect to raid.

It's no different than committing to doing things with RL friends, if you always flake out on plans and aren't there for people they will stop inviting you.