Is leveling a grind or is it fun?

General Discussion
All I know is they better do something about dungeons.

Waited 35 minutes to get into a dungeon as a healer.....NEVER have I wait that long on a Healer...think my max was 9 minutes (usual wait time is 1-3 m).

Then I do the dungeon and took FOREVER to get measly exp.
TBH it will be fun when you played a char for the first time. Eventually after many chars you lvled up you would find it boring and a long grind like me
MMORPGs are the ultimate grind by necessity because they are persistent worlds and other players are part of the content. The content has to be watered down like progress meters and grinds and random elements.

Anyone who doesn't like grind should just not play MMOs. Play a regular RPG or shooter game.
I'm a bit on the fence about it. The day it came out I went leveling and had a great time, way more engaging and fun in and of itself. But at the end when I log out I've gained maybe 4 levels when usually I'd have 8-10. If you're leveling for its own sake I'm sure it's paradise but if you want to get into end game content it's a barren hellscape of misery and broken dreams.
It's too slow. Playing on a pvp server is beyond dumb trying to quest. You will always be ganked and corpse camped. Brink back viable dungeons now!!
What people like you need to do is stop insisting the rest of us are doing it wrong. You have your way of playing it and that's fine, but it's no more correct than those of us who would rather get through it quickly. It's not relaxing or methodical for us; it's ridiculously boring.

And where is this nonsense about instant gratification coming from? We will have a 120 level cap soon. Even if they did revert this change, leveling still takes a lot of time. Not that you or anyone like you has the right to decide the appropriate speed for the rest of us, but like ... how was that NOT long enough as it was?

I never insisted that you were doing it wrong. I only said that it's a shame that people don't appreciate a slower grind.

Chill out.
01/20/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Nagasis
Depends on the person. Folks on these forums just project their views on the entirety of GD. Generally the folks who enjoy leveling are out there... leveling.

Exactly. What I like about the patch is that I have time to read the forums again, instead of playing the game. At least the patch buffed players ability to level up their post counts.
01/20/2018 09:54 AMPosted by Zaleith
What people like you need to do is stop insisting the rest of us are doing it wrong. You have your way of playing it and that's fine, but it's no more correct than those of us who would rather get through it quickly. It's not relaxing or methodical for us; it's ridiculously boring.

And where is this nonsense about instant gratification coming from? We will have a 120 level cap soon. Even if they did revert this change, leveling still takes a lot of time. Not that you or anyone like you has the right to decide the appropriate speed for the rest of us, but like ... how was that NOT long enough as it was?

I never insisted that you were doing it wrong. I only said that it's a shame that people don't appreciate a slower grind.

Chill out.

Most people don't want or appreciate a "slower grind" because they've already done the content multiple times.

I have done both Outlands and Northrend dozens of times. Making it slower isn't going to make me "appreciate" the hellish slog that they are. I want to be done with the quests that still used Vanilla "Get 12 Zhevra Hooves from the Hooveless Zhevra on the other side of the map" design.

I started in BC, I have done the content more than enough. I would much prefer not having it artificially slowed down to sell boosts for the next expac.
Same ole quests, same ole quests. fun the first couple of times, then its just tedium. But ya on these forums, lazy, work, easy, hard, and every other word in the dictionary has the same meaning with this crowd hahaha.
01/20/2018 09:09 AMPosted by Merzon
It's too slow. Playing on a pvp server is beyond dumb trying to quest. You will always be ganked and corpse camped. Brink back viable dungeons now!!

Great news! In 8.0 you can unflag in a Sanctuary area and you will never see a PvP player ever again.
i dunno...do you find actually play the game to be fun???

beyond that, it's less of a grind when it feels somewhat meaningful and challenging.

i found it incredibly boring and grindy before and now find it more fun
A lot depends on how much you are focused on a goal. As I mentioned originally, I am typing aiming for certain goals while leveling. Some parts are a bit boring, and I appreciate being able to speed up at those points. Now for those of you who just quest to quest and don't care how long it takes, then the implementation of scaling is fine. But some people are somewhat goal oriented and now it feels much more grindy than before.

Now classes will vary. I have played RET pally a lot later, and it usually hits hard, and I don't think it has been effected too much by scaling.

As far as feeling challenging, I am of mixed mind. Sometimes I like the occasional challenge, other times I just want to plough through to get to my next goal.
Mobs dont have abilities no more, remember those disarming pirates in tanaris?
You don´t have abilities anymore, remember getting new spells every 3 levels?

Leveling could run on a tablet and you would still be fine.
It's always been a grind. But for several years it was completely mindless. Now it's more of a fun grind.
Good post OP. It's nice to see a well-reasoned post instead of someone just taking sides as if this were a partisan debate, when this is a discussion of GAME DESIGN.

I agreed with the design goals of improving the leveling experience for new players, making it so you have to pay attention in dungeons, and not having quests go gray before you can Loremaster the zone. I just don't like how 7.3.5 went about doing so.
01/20/2018 07:59 AMPosted by Decrepid
Lots of things could have been done different, but as usual Blizzard tries a one size fits all approach that removes player choice.

Shame that an otherwise good post ends in a bit of "projection" but I guess everyone does this now.

Maybe go take a tour of Blizzard's campus and talk in depth to the department heads, devs, producers, etc. before you go and just spew stuff like this, which seems designed to just vent pettiness.
Too grindy!
I keep seeing people talk about how great it is from their 110's.

How its magically not a "mindless grind" now because you have to mash X button twice as many times.

1-60 is a relic from a game that literally no longer exists, and everything after that is somewhere in between, only from there you have 6 expansions with end game grinds that were never about leveling squeezed into 50 levels.

If some of you could stop fangirling it up for one second you might stop saying "oh yeah now that it takes longer to do this weird disjointed incoherent content magically makes it good again." Then blizzard might actually be inspired to improve their early game.
01/20/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Mauden
Most people don't want or appreciate a "slower grind" because they've already done the content multiple times.

Most? Who says? You?

Sorry, but the forums don't dictate what the community likes, nor should they. The outpouring negativity here doesn't stand for how the entirety of the community feels because:

1) The forums are a small minority of the existing subscription base.

2) The forums hate anything Blizzard does anyways. They've deluded themselves into thinking that what they like is what everyone else likes, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Sorry you don't like a slower pace. I would be a little more sympathetic but I spent 7 years having to deal with the garbage leveling system that Cataclysm had wrought. I never complained about it, though, because I understood that other people liked it. Maybe you should do the same.
They slowed it down to improve the value proposition of the boost token. This was a financial decision, nothing more, nothing less.