Transfer costs. Insane!

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
01/20/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Taironn
You would make more money on transfers if they cost $5. Seriously.

You think Blizzard doesn't know that? They are a multi-million-dollar corporation, with marketing experts. OF COURSE they would make more money at $5 per.

I calculated it a while back -- I think they would make at least $1 million every month just from transfers, if they were priced at $5.

It would also ruin the game. Blizzard willingly gives up $12 million or more per year in profits, solely because they think it makes the game better.

Think about that, the next time you see a post claiming that Blizzard is a greedy money-grubber that changes game design to add profits. LOTS of games have these micro-transactions now: I tried ESO last year -- it is "free to play" but all the armors, mounts, housing and furniture cost real dollars (not game gold).

Blizzard went the opposite direction: for two years now you can "pay" for subs and for a year you can "pay" for REALM TRANFERS with game gold. In other words, TRANSFERS ARE FREE for a small amount of in-game effort.
01/20/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Jasonstatham
Give her an equal amount and tell her to go shopping.
What the hell do you buy for $25?
They are. I've got an Alliance mage that I would love to send over to my main Horde server and guild, but that would cost a total of 55 dollars.

I just have a very hard time justifying that.
01/20/2018 03:49 PMPosted by Tchalla
You would make more money on transfers if they cost $5. Seriously.

You think Blizzard doesn't know that? They are a multi-million-dollar corporation, with marketing experts. OF COURSE they would make more money at $5 per.

I calculated it a while back -- I think they would make at least $1 million every month just from transfers, if they were priced at $5.

It would also ruin the game. Blizzard willingly gives up $12 million or more per year in profits, solely because they think it makes the game better.

Think about that, the next time you see a post claiming that Blizzard is a greedy money-grubber that changes game design to add profits. LOTS of games have these micro-transactions now: I tried ESO last year -- it is "free to play" but all the armors, mounts, housing and furniture cost real dollars (not game gold).

Blizzard went the opposite direction: for two years now you can "pay" for subs and for a year you can "pay" for REALM TRANFERS with game gold. In other words, TRANSFERS ARE FREE for a small amount of in-game effort.

Not sure it's a small effort; but I did 1 free server transfer and faction change this year from gold income. If it was cheap, more people would move and change factions also (rerolling is still free).
01/20/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Demonbarbie
01/20/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Jasonstatham
Give her an equal amount and tell her to go shopping.
What the hell do you buy for $25?

Totally head to dollar store. Find all kinda of cool stuff for your house there. Come out with a decent bag full of randoms for $25 :)
Blizz actually did have a server xfer sale once, then announced the virtual realm feature immediately after! It was quite funny.
01/20/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Raiyyn
<span class="truncated">...</span>
Screams of someone that doesn't know what it's like to be poor. GTFO.

LOL... Nice try. I grew up poor. I was raised by a single mom who often couldn't afford more than a 2 room shack for us to call "home". She went without food more times than I can count so I could eat. I know what it is to be poor.

I also know people don't have to stay poor. My mom didn't, nor did I. But think what you want, I really don't care.

If you're that poor you probably should be doing something to improve your situation rather than playing a video game.

That's a lot of generalization. The situation should be looked at on a case by case basis. You have no idea what someone is going through and to just say that 32 isn't a lot of money is very presumptuous.

Definitely presumptuous of me as well to say that you don't know what it's like to be poor, but if it walks/talks like a duck...

To assume that just because people are playing a video game and they're not trying to improve their life is MASSIVELY out of touch with what's going on in this country (and the world) Some people work 2-3 jobs and still have trouble paying the bills. Some people, especially millennials playing this game, have student loans up the wazoo.

Don't get me started on the amount of people playing that have mental or physical difficulties.

Whatever is going on in a person's life. Whether it's good or bad, WoW is an escape. And ALSO, a lot of people don't pay the $15 a month. I mean, are we forgetting tokens?

Am I saying that server transfers should be less? No. Blizzard can charge whatever they want to charge. I'm just addressing the gross statement of "32 isn't a lot of money". You're not allowed to say what is or isn't a lot of money unless you walk in the person's shoes.
at one point it was to pay for the development that went into the coding for the transfers (i would assume based on how most businesses work), but at some point they must have surpassed that. i mean, sure there are ongoing maintenance costs for such programs.

its kinda hard for us know how much they spend on maintenance for these specific services.
You guys ever heard of MICRO transactions? This isn't how people do business these days. You would make more money on transfers if they cost $5. Seriously.

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure their goal isn't to simply make money on transfers... It's a convenience that has a cost in order to prevent abuse.
Seems like they could have inexpensive transfers, but only allow 1 server transfer per year. Or even per lifetime. What about 1 free (or inexpensive) transfer per lifetime? Seems like anything like this would prevent abuse.
01/20/2018 03:10 PMPosted by Cmorebuts
01/20/2018 01:07 PMPosted by Raiyyn
I mean, $32 is just not a lot of money. Dinner out costs twice (or more) that much. How do you explain the cost of a "date night" to your wife? Are you a stay at home dad and she makes all the money? Why do you need to "explain" spending a small amount of money to anyone?

If you want "micro transactions" go find a F2P MMO.

Typically when people get married they share finances.

Him justifying $32 for moving one toon to another server in a game might not be a justified cost in his house.

If you're so loaded lend him the cash.

$32 bucks for something intangible is not the same as a $32 "datenight with the mrs."

Yeah... I also love the pure nerve of people who say "it's cheaper than X, you can afford it" as if you know a persons financials. Buy it for me if it's no issue for you, clearly you can afford it.
01/20/2018 02:25 PMPosted by Aerynà
01/20/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Peeshooter

you entitled prick.

I don't think you know what "entitled" means. I'm the opposite of entitled. I don't go around expecting Blizzard to do this, that, or the other for me. I am "entitled" to what the Terms of Service allow me. And even those are subject to change at Blizzard's fancy.

People crying about how a totally optional luxury feature is overpriced? There's your "entitled prick".

so just one of the two
HOW DO I EXPLAIN THAT COST TO MY WIFE!!!!

Glad Im not married to you, cheap, cheaper than lunch or starbucks
I mean, $32 is just not a lot of money. Dinner out costs twice (or more) that much. How do you explain the cost of a "date night" to your wife? Are you a stay at home dad and she makes all the money? Why do you need to "explain" spending a small amount of money to anyone?

Obviously someone who is not married . Let me explain for you . A wife , AKA She Who Must Be Obeyed, has complete control over all things. It is fine for here to go out and spend $150 on something , especially if it has been marked down from say $300 because then she thinks that she has just saved us $150.

However it is NOT ok for us to spend 1C without permission and a 1000 word justification on why we need to spend it .

Got it now ? think I am joking ? think this will never be you ? hahahahahha got news for you mate , it will be
01/20/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Sulakin

Obviously someone who is not married . Let me explain for you . A wife , AKA She Who Must Be Obeyed, has complete control over all things. It is fine for here to go out and spend $150 on something , especially if it has been marked down from say $300 because then she thinks that she has just saved us $150.

However it is NOT ok for us to spend 1C without permission and a 1000 word justification on why we need to spend it .

Got it now ? think I am joking ? think this will never be you ? hahahahahha got news for you mate , it will be

As someone who has been happily married for 6 years, I can honestly say I'm happy the one thing that we don't fight over is money.

We both took a hard stance on this when we first got together, after all bills are paid - my money is my money and her money is her money. If either of us can't get something, then we individually save until we can.
The way money is allocated between a married couple is their business.

I'm not married, but I don't think I'd want to be in a situation where I'd have to ask permission to buy something that's small, of course I wouldn't go out and buy a car without consulting my husband. But that would be talked about before marriage and respected. However, if a couple is married and already talked about consulting each other with whatever they spend, that's fine too. It's totally their business.

We don't know what's going on in people's life and that's the main issue here! Maybe they're saving for a house, maybe the OP has a gambling problem and his wife wants the account of the money, maybe they have to buy a special medication for their kid.

Nobody knows one iota about people's life. So people should just stop assuming things... assuming that 32 isn't a lot of money... assuming that the OP isn't man enough in his household... assuming that because 32 isn't a lot of money someone isn't educated or doesn't have a job. Ffs, the things I've read in this thread...
01/20/2018 04:33 PMPosted by Creav
As someone who has been happily married for 6 years, I can honestly say I'm happy the one thing that we don't fight over is money.

We both took a hard stance on this when we first got together, after all bills are paid - my money is my money and her money is her money. If either of us can't get something, then we individually save until we can.

Just for the sake of convo ::: It's fun to see how different marriages operate. I'd never impugn the state of yours, but it's just funny how it's like to total opposite of mine. What you mention is actually a good way to do it. Mine, however, my wife has complete control over all money. I'll sometimes "sneak" and go splurge and she'll grumble, but she rules it. Having it any way otherwise would be uncomfortable for me, LOL!
I suspect many transfers are to get away from unwanted PVP, which will cease to be a reason in BfA. If this is true, Blizzard's transfer income will fall, and they may even have to increase the price to compensate.
Canadian
Deserved, next.
01/20/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Peeshooter
yep, it's extortion

So, sue them in that case?