Stormwind U's Monthly Debate! (A)

Wyrmrest Accord
1 2 3 5 Next
Stormwind University is proud to announce the subsequent dates of our monthly Debate Series in 2018! (Still going strong since March 2016!)

WHAT: Citizens of Stormwind City and all throughout Azeroth! Stormwind University wants to hear YOUR opinions on some of our world’s most vexing dilemmas!

Once every month, the Alliance’s greatest scholars, philosophers, free thinkers, and - yes! - even and especially adventurers, are openly invited to get together and duke it out in the intellectual arena! Whether we’re debating the cause of conflict, solutions to a long-standing dilemma, historical and/or present day speculations or perhaps what the future may hold, we can guarantee this: You’ll leave seeing our world just a little bit differently!

All are welcome to attend! This is a community-wide event, and we’re looking for interested parties to be guests in our audience forum, as well as eager participants to fill out our debate team rosters for the scheduled dates listed below!

WHEN: The SECOND Wednesday of each month at the 7th bell of the evening ((7pm Pacific/10pm Eastern)).

WHERE: OOCly, the town hall in the Ruins of the Scarlet Enclave. ICly, this building represents one of Stormwind University's salon rooms on the main campus!

*** For courtesy and convenience, summons will be provided via Raid invitation to the Debate group, for audience members and debaters alike! Please be sure to whisper our advertised Point Of Contact on the date of the event for assistance and/or further information! ***

WHO: Any debate will consist of at least two debaters, which anyone can volunteer for. (Preferably, in advance of the event date!) As this event is conducted ICly, unique and interesting takes on the topic are expected and in fact, encouraged! Presently, there is a hard cap of six debaters total for our panels - two teams of three, who will each take one side of the debate topic at hand.

FORMAT:

After stating the session’s topic, our debate begins by each of our speakers, in order, making their opening statements — a clear and concise statement, made up of no more than three chat boxes worth of dialogue - declaring the argument they’ll defend for the duration of the event. This order will be determined by our designated proctor and will be constant throughout the entire debate. Following this, the debaters, in order, will have chances to speak over a number of rounds. Using no more than three chat boxes worth of dialogue, they may defend, rebut and, of course, debate theirs and their rivals’ claims!

There is no hard limit for the number of rounds. While we guarantee that no debate will go on for longer than two hours, time taken per round and the number of debaters is too random to establish a definitive round limit. After the speakers have made their closing remarks, the floor will be open to some input from the audience. Three or four audience members - time permitting - may be called upon to add their opinion.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

DEBATE TOPIC:

"Is there any ground for reconcilliation between the Kaldorei and the Horde?"

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Awesome! Where do I sign up?:

It’s easy! Feel free to contact me, Lestuu or Caniell via whisper or in-game letter (IC or OOC), detailing your/character’s take on an upcoming topic! We’re looking for interesting, unique opinions, and we’re excited to hear what you’ve got in store for us! We can also be contacted via social media at http://stormwinduniv.tumblr.com/

In addition, we're also glad to accept suggestions for future debate topics from throughout our wonderful community! Of course, due credit for any debate topic suggestion that we may use will be given, along with a mention & thank you upon presentation of said topic!
*** This month's Debate Series had been postponed to the following date and time, due to technical difficulties which arose on the original scheduled date of 1/10! ***

DATE: Wednesday, January 24th @ 7:00 PM ((Server Time))

TOPIC: Is the lingering threat of the Old Gods something to investigate?

Still looking for volunteer panelists for this month's debate! Please contact myself or any Stormwind University member to reserve a spot and/or express interest!
Go get 'em, Ally!
01/22/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Lanthellon
Go get 'em, Ally!

Thanks! :D Although we do a lot of advertisement for our many community events in-game, it's been a long time since we've done so here on the WrA forums! It's nice to have gotten such a supportive reception from our Hordeside academic contemporaries!

-------

Also, just a quick BUMP!!! for tonight's Debate!

Again, the information is as follows:

DATE: TONIGHT!!! Wednesday, January 24th @ 7:00 PM ((Server Time))

TOPIC: Is the lingering threat of the Old Gods something to investigate?

All other pertinent information is listed above in the OP, but please feel free to /whisper any of our University members with any further questions!

See you there!
BUMP!!!

Tonight's Debate begins in just over ONE HOUR, at 7:00 PM (Server Time)!
DATE: Wednesday, February 14th @ 6:00 PM ((Server Time))

TOPIC: Our Newest Allies - In Favor or Opposed?

Still a couple slots left for volunteer panelists for this month's debate! Please contact myself or any Stormwind University member to reserve a spot and/or express interest!
Just a quick BUMP!!! for tonight's Debate!

Again, the information is as follows:

DATE: TONIGHT!!! Wednesday, February 14th @ 6:00 PM ((Server Time))

TOPIC: Our Newest Allies - In Favor or Opposed?

All other pertinent information is listed above in the OP, but please feel free to /whisper any of our University members with any further questions!

See you there!
Dang, I’m on the wrong server!
I'm finding out that I can't attend many of these types of discussions/rps due to working the late shift. v.v

Would there happen to be a transcript available after the event? I would be interested in the discussion and any speculations/conclusions that might be reached. ^.^
02/14/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Faolana
Dang, I’m on the wrong server!

I'm pretty sure we could cross-faction invite, and you'd still be able to attend? If you wanted to and were available, of course! (Sounds like you don't have a toon here on WrA!) But we certainly appreciate the support! :D

02/14/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Caileanmor
I'm finding out that I can't attend many of these types of discussions/rps due to working the late shift. v.v

Would there happen to be a transcript available after the event? I would be interested in the discussion and any speculations/conclusions that might be reached. ^.^

Aw! Well, I'm real sorry to hear that! I totally understand how that goes, though. We'd never really done transcripts before, but that's a fine idea actually! (Particularly, as you'd pointed out, for those who might be interested in the topic but unable to attend!) Definitely something worth looking into! ;D
This was SO COOL to attend. It was a great introduction to Alliance-side RP and I can't wait to come to more! Thank you for hosting and for running everything so smoothly!
This was my first time at an SWU event. Enjoyed attending a lot. The audience was restrained enough that their emotes didn't overwhelm the debate, yet there was a very good sense of their reactions to what was going on moment by moment. The debate itself was well done, without seeming overly rehearsed.

It's a measure of how well the debate was done that it could spark thoughts about larger issues IC. i refrained from asking a question because what was uppermost in my mind ( IC ) was a bit of a tangent: how both sides would have handled a similar discussion about the forced division of Pandaren & how that might have influenced their perception of the current situation.

Definitely looking forward to future events.
We've decided to do things a little differently for this month's Debate!

For the first time ever, Stormwind University's Debate Series will be repeating an original debate topic from the previous month!

But with a TWIST!!!

Due to overwhelmingly popular demand, the highly controversial and blazingly hot topic concerning the acceptance of the Lightforged Draenei and Ren'dorei into the Alliance fold will be re-opened for our special brand of public forum discussion!

However! Unlike last month, which followed our standard rules of debate, this month we will be opening the panel up to a ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION format! Instead of our usual panel of two to six debaters, all in attendance who desire to be, will be heard! (In an orderly and peaceful fashion as always, of course! :D )

This month's Debate Series will be moderated by Professor Elvæ Windcrush, with special considerations and an enhanced "roundtable" ruleset provided by Professor Odine Rothbart.

The event information is as follows:

DATE: Wednesday, March 14th @ 6:00 PM ((Server Time))

TOPIC: Our Newest Allies - In Favor or Opposed? - Roundtable Discussion!

Just a quick BUMP!!! for tomorrow night's Debate!
BUMP!!!

Tonight's Debate begins in just under ONE HOUR, at 6:00 PM (Server Time)!
This was a lot of fun! I had to dip out pretty quick at the end but it was a great time. :)
This month's Debate Series topic has been finalized, so here goes!

DATE: Wednesday, April 11th @ 7:00 PM ((Server Time))

TOPIC: "Can our new ties within the neutral Orders survive renewed war with the Horde?"

• Still a few slots open for volunteer panelists at this month's debate! Please contact myself or any Stormwind University member to reserve a spot and/or express interest!
  • Just a quick BUMP!!! for tomorrow night's Debate!
    BUMP!!!

Tonight's Debate begins at 7:00 PM (Server Time)!

TOPIC: "Can our new ties within the neutral Orders survive renewed war with the Horde?"

WHERE: OOCly, the town hall in the Ruins of the Scarlet Enclave. ICly, this building represents one of Stormwind University's salon rooms on the main campus!

(Summons will be provided prior to start time for our audience and panelists' convenience!)
    Cool event! I work then so I won't be able to attend, but it sounds great.