I don't own a cell phone

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
I'm not really surprised people are complaining. I mean, I don't agree with these complaints at all, but I totally expected them.

What I am surprised about is how no one is mentioning that expanding the backpack didn't "break" the game afterall. Everyone used to think this was set in stone, that the backpack code couldn't be tweaked without potentially irreversible cataclysmic results. I'm happy we were all wrong, but it's also kind of funny people aren't talking more about it.
01/16/2018 06:25 PMPosted by Joynal
Last few natural disasters we had here, cell service was knocked out.

Landlines still worked for getting through to emergency services and out of state contacts to let family know people were okay and dealing with crap.
Landlines will eventually be knocked out with cell service as they are moving over from the plain old telephone service to fibre optic bs. If you're in CA, you have until 2020 before that is complete statewide and they literally pull the plug on the old service. Fibre optic installations have only a 2 hour battery backup just like the cell towers. On top of that, to incentivize you to move over to their "sweet" fibre optic package deals, they'll keep raising your phone service. Our business price went up 1100% over the last 2 years because we refuse to change over due to needing to redo our ancient alarm system which is supposedly incompatible.

And y'all thought Blizzard was bad lol.

But anyway, this should have been one or the other, not both. Apparently my phone # is in use with someone else's account which was done before it became my #. Nothing can be done according to the GM until they pull it off their account which I'm sure won't happen as it's probably a dead account.
01/16/2018 06:27 PMPosted by Bracken
I have a Windows phone, so I doubt I'll ever get a free authenticator myself. Four extra bag slots, and a Battle Pet is really no big deal at all. What I find much more insidious, is that Blizzard will take all those perks away from you if you stop with the authenticator.

Classic EA.

Dunno about the slots, but dropping the authenticator and losing the pet has been a thing since they started the promo to get people to not be lazy to secure accounts afaik. That was 2008 or there abouts it started iirc.
01/16/2018 06:04 PMPosted by Thrasius
Grow up and get a phone.

btw, it's just step B. There is an authentication app for phones, totally free.

Not everyone wants to buy a cell phone. Just because you want one doesn't mean other people need to.

Furthermore, it has nothing to do with growing up. I know plenty of "grown up" adults who don't own a cell phone and have no plans on getting one. Especially smart phones.
01/16/2018 06:35 PMPosted by Symadai
I'm not really surprised people are complaining. I mean, I don't agree with these complaints at all, but I totally expected them.

What I am surprised about is how no one is mentioning that expanding the backpack didn't "break" the game afterall. Everyone used to think this was set in stone, that the backpack code couldn't be tweaked without potentially irreversible cataclysmic results. I'm happy we were all wrong, but it's also kind of funny people aren't talking more about it.

Just stahp! The Devs have already said it broke stuff when they first tried it by deleting currencies and other stuff. Just because they figured out how to get the code to behave itself, doesn't mean nothing happened previously.

Sweet jeebus, did somebody tip some extra stupid into the US water supply since last January?
01/16/2018 06:06 PMPosted by Averax
The world is living in 2018. Cellphones are more common than house phones. I don't actually know anybody that uses a landline anymore.

Get with the times or get left behind.

Not everyone likes all their movement and activity to be tracked by who knows who. Privacy is a valid concern.
A physical authenticator should be enough, especially since we had to pay for them.

Really, the backpacks should just be made bigger or unequippable for everyone.
Me nor my fiance have a cell phone. We live in area that does not get a signal.
We do not have the means to go purchase a cell phone that would be otherwise useless to us. There is simply no point in it for an extra 4 bag slots in WoW.

Also before you go saying well you pay for WoW why can you not afford a phone. It is called a budget. WoW is our hobby, basically the only game that we play together. I much rather pay for that than a cell phone that has no use.

This is my point;
WoW Cost;
$15 a month per = $30 a month

Cheapest SMS cellphone in my area cost;
$30 per phone, plus $16 a month per= $60, $32 a month for time

I see both sides of this debate. However, I do not feel that you should need a cell phone to receive the extra 4 bag slots. I think that it should require a physical authenticator OR if you have the mobile authenticator then the SMS protect should be required as well. We both purchased the physical authenticators back in 2008 before there was a mobile authenticator.

If you are not going to put it where you only need a physical authenticator at least make it to where we can remove the plus sign from our backpacks. I much rather not have it in my face that I am not able to get this cause I do not have a cell phone.
01/16/2018 06:35 PMPosted by Frostberrie
But anyway, this should have been one or the other, not both.

there's already an in-game incentive to use an authenticator.
this one piled on it.

it is fine. If someone doesn't want to use it for whatever reason, they're not missing anything major. But the four bag slots is a little carrot dangled in front of us so we use the 2 factor authentication.`
01/16/2018 06:04 PMPosted by Thrasius
Grow up and get a phone.

btw, it's just step B. There is an authentication app for phones, totally free.
Idiot
I don't have a smart phone and don't want one. I think blizzard is asking a little much. I do have an authenticator though and have for some time now. I like the idea of the extra slots but it's the pet I don't want to lose for the reason I don't want to add the phone.
I dont own a phone either, and I dont care about the extra bag slots, I just want the icon on my bag bar to go away.
01/16/2018 06:27 PMPosted by Bracken
I have a Windows phone, so I doubt I'll ever get a free authenticator myself. Four extra bag slots, and a Battle Pet is really no big deal at all. What I find much more insidious, is that Blizzard will take all those perks away from you if you stop with the authenticator.

Classic EA.

It's "Perks" that help keep your account from getting stolen by hackers, and keep them from having to handle an account hacked ticket from you once it inevitably does.

It's a win-win on either side.

And of course they remove the "perks" if you take off your authenticator. You don't get full credit for attempting something once and then immediately giving it up.
Not having a cellphone in 2018 makes you Marty McFly.
01/16/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Saturn
Not everyone likes all their movement and activity to be tracked by who knows who. Privacy is a valid concern.

Brouhaha your paranoia is also not blizzards concern, move off the grid if you're so concerned.
I don't have a smartphone. My sister said I could use her phone though, so I'll just give them my sister's smartphone #. lol I hope it's not too spammy. >.> And now my account is less secure. \o/
it's 2018 go get a phone mr Flintstone
01/16/2018 07:18 PMPosted by Blasius
It's "Perks" that help keep your account from getting stolen by hackers, and keep them from having to handle an account hacked ticket from you once it inevitably does.

SMS actually undermines the authenticator and is less secure.
Its only 4 bag slots you will survive and your account will have less protection
I don't have a smartphone. My sister said I could use her phone though, so I'll just give them my sister's smartphone #. lol I hope it's not too spammy. >.> And now my account is less secure. \o/

You can turn off the notifications without removing SMS protect and still get credit, at least. I turned the notifications off ages ago.
You can install it on an iPad or Android tablet instead then.

Otherwise... get your Parachute pants out because MC Hammer called from 1990 and wants to know where his backup dancer went...