Anduin's expression upon seeing Azerite

Story Forum
01/17/2018 08:51 PMPosted by Kelisaria
whine about Horde players speculating on possible moral failings.

For this one, part of it is because certain (not all) Horde players will use it to attempt to highlight why an Alliance character is terrible and dislikable while their preferred characters on their faction are superior.

Either that or speculate why an Alliance leader should be turned into a raid boss, which obviously no Alliance player is going to get behind.
01/17/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Anyaceltica
https://imgur.com/c18R9ms

lol accurate
Why does the Alliance always have to be squeaky clean and perfect? Alliance players always ask for more moral diversity in their characters, then whine about Horde players speculating on possible moral failings.

Well, I never said they had to be squeaky clean or perfect, so already we're not off to a good start as you've fundamentally misunderstood my comment.

Well, seeing as you and other Alliance fanatics always go to the "b-b-b-but DA HORDE!" and always suspect the worst, why is it inherently "bad" speculation to use what I've seen for a basis? The look Anduin gives when holding the Azerite is not a "good" look. It looks lustful and fearful.

I don't have an issue with you speculating on moral failings, I have an issue with your speculation being terrible.

Awww, look! It can ad hominem!

Old God prophecies

Always a trustworthy source.

You may have meant it to be sarcasm, but this is actually true. The Old Gods very rarely lie. They technically can't "lie", as they and the void see everything as "true". Not to mention that what was said about the "Boy King" was said in an extremely boastful manner. Eldritch things very rarely "lie", they have no need to, as the truth is far more terrifying to puny mortals.

the cinematic trailer where he looked like a Darth Vader knock-off

Because he...wore a helmet? And displayed exactly zero greed or any lust for power?

No, it's because he was wearing a full set of armor that made him look like a conqueror, and wore a very intimidating face-concealing helmet. It wasn't just "a helmet", as it made him look ruthless, which is natural for not being able to see someone's face and read their emotions.

him likely being filled with repressed (and misplaced) hatred at the Horde over his father's death.

Which makes him greedy...how?

Greed for power to crush the Horde and avenge his father.

I'm not against character flaws, I'm against bad writing. And having Anduin develop spontaneous new character traits that contradict everything we know about him is definitely the latter.

It's even worse for him to constantly be pure and righteous without any shady or morally wrong actions. Like his entire portrayal up until BfA, which is nauseating.
01/17/2018 09:02 PMPosted by Empathetic
01/17/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Anyaceltica
https://imgur.com/c18R9ms

lol accurate

Oh, that's !@#$ing brilliant!
Well, seeing as you and other Alliance fanatics always go to the "b-b-b-but DA HORDE!" and always suspect the worst, why is it inherently "bad" speculation to use what I've seen for a basis? The look Anduin gives when holding the Azerite is not a "good" look. It looks lustful and fearful.

Do you actually have any examples in mind or are you just doing that thing where you assume everyone with a blue background is the same person?

Fearful, sure. Lustful? I honestly don't see it.

You may have meant it to be sarcasm, but this is actually true. The Old Gods very rarely lie. They technically can't "lie", as they and the void see everything as "true".

Everything being true doesn't really make that statement more trustworthy, given that if everything is true, then nothing is more accurate than another thing.

No, it's because he was wearing a full set of armor that made him look like a conqueror, and wore a very intimidating face-concealing helmet. It wasn't just "a helmet", as it made him look ruthless, which is natural for not being able to see someone's face and read their emotions.

It conceals his face because that's what helmets do? He's in the middle of a battlefield, he's not gonna forgo armor cause someone might think it looks too mean. Hell, it's probably supposed to be intimating, strike fear into the enemy and all that. That's not a lust for power, that's just smart.

01/17/2018 09:20 PMPosted by Kelisaria
It's even worse for him to constantly be pure and righteous without any shady or morally wrong actions. Like his entire portrayal up until BfA, which is nauseating.

Well, personally, I'd say a consistent simple character is better than a poorly written complex one, but that's just my opinion. And besides, I'm not saying he should be perfect and flawless. I don't know why I have to keep explaining this.
So.....

What do you think his first lie was?
01/17/2018 09:41 PMPosted by Syriyna
So.....

I've no idea. Perhaps he will lie to the people of the Alliance about the Azerite to start a war.
ITT: people desperately trying to make Anduin out to be some hidden villain-in-waiting.

I know you want it so bad, especially after Blizzard has been beating the Horde with the bad-guy bat so savagely of late, but I highly doubt prince boy scout has it in him.

If he does, I for one would love to give him a big ol' warlock-sized pat on the back. He's sickeningly sweet and he could do with some salt.

Don't worry Horde, you will always be the token 'Diet Evil' faction to me!
01/17/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Empathetic
So.....

I've no idea. Perhaps he will lie to the people of the Alliance about the Azerite to start a war.

He wouldn't have to even "know" it's a lie, just parrot it. Genn and Shaw could be feeding him false reports.
So.....

"the war is over"
So.....

He told me earlier that I was his friend and he enjoyed my company.

Did...did he not mean that...?
I think it would be interesting if Anduin is flawed, but should that really be his role in the story? Perhaps it would make him more realistic, but is that necessary? I see Anduin as comparable to Luke Skywalker and I wouldn't want what happened to Luke to happen to Anduin too. (Same with how I dislike how much they changed Superman in the DC movie universe. Some heroes should just stay heroes and not bend completely on what they stand for.)

I can perhaps agree to it as a flaw for him to overcome, and I would be all for it, but I'd be skeptical how Blizzard would handle it. They should still maintain him being likable and having us hope he pulls out of it rather than just finding him to be an unsympathetic person.
01/17/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Éamon
So.....

"the war is over"

Interesting thought. But I think he was referring to the war with the Legion, and that one is over.
01/17/2018 09:58 PMPosted by Empathetic
Interesting thought. But I think he was referring to the war with the Legion, and that one is over.

It was a meta joke. This is Warcraft. There will never not be a war.
I think it was mostly awe mixed with confusion, and then the realization of what it meant. We've all just fought and defeated the Legion which would have been considered impossible not long before.

I liked the use of expressions (Genn smiling at Anduin, filled with pride was really nice,) and it's not a bad set up.

Blizzard's going to try their best to keep us on our toes about who started the war (old gods influence through using Azerite as a catalyst,) since they're trying to avoid the "Alliance/Horde are evil!"

I may be primarily a Horde player but I'm fine with Anduin, and seeing him grow into a leader is going to be something nice. He's got big shoes to fill but he could easily be the best High King the Alliance has ever had. He cares, he was going to make the speech a personal one but instead put the people before himself. I'm glad Anduin can be used as a foil for someone learning about their role after such a loss, and this crisis in BfA will only continue to forge him into a better character.
Genn, though, like Sylvanas, has a lot of things to work out, and Genn might cause Anduin some internal strife even if unintentionally in BfA, I feel.

Sylvanas is definitely acting to what her character is, so people really shouldn't be surprised nor angry... we know she really only cares about the Forsaken but mostly herself beyond that (and a fear of dying.) We still don't know if Vol'jin was manipulated into naming her Warchief, but it'll be interesting to see what character growth she has in BfA, for good or for ill. I'd rather not see another Horde hero become a disposable raid boss, and I think honestly she's being used as a red herring by the developers. Though, I don't think she's going to be innocent of helping spark the war nor will she not do some terrible things.

I think with Vareesa possibly dying at Teldrassil (the images from Blizzcon seem to highlight this,) or direly injured, coupled with Alleria returning is going to set many things in motion. It'll be interesting to see where Sylvanas ends up and if she ever actually embraces the Horde as more than just a tool or a means to an end, or if they'll try to redeem her somehow like they're fond of. Long as it's handled well I'd be fine with it, but I'm also ok with her ending on a dark path.
01/17/2018 04:17 PMPosted by Myasol
Who is going to be the first to snort it?

Meeeeeeeeeeee
So.....

The beginning of the expansion, when he told us the Horde was necessary to defeat the Legion.

Like... you could have thrown a lvl. 1 Kobold in the Vindicaar's basement in Aethas and Liadrin's places, and the outcome would have been the same.
Alliance already loses characters through story neutralization.

Don't know why people feel there has to be some parity on who goes ev0l.
Alliance already keeps so many characters that they dominate the neutral story.

Don't know why people expect there has to be some parity on who goes ev0l.

Well, it's not so much a "need for parity" as it is an analysis of available resources. As you correctly point out, the Alliance has so many active characters that they control not just the Alliance story, but the neutral story as well. Meanwhile, the Horde still has a race that doesn't have an official leader.

So if we need to turn some NPC's evil for the sake of advancing the plot, it's better for the story over all if we take them from the side with a surplus.
Awww, look! It can ad hominem!
In what way is this an ad hominem?

I don't have an issue with you speculating on moral failings, I have an issue with your speculation being terrible.