STV fishing weekly? Is it hard to win?

General Discussion
Okay, so I've not tried doing this in what...7 years? The last time I tried winning the fishing contest was back during the twilight days of Wrath. Back then, I remember this being an absolute pain to win.

Has anything changed? Really the only reason I want to win it is for the heirloom ring to complete my collection and perhaps the fishing rod.
You can have someone help you on a low pop PvP server... Just sayin!
I tried it once and got the ring. Just don't go too far from the turn in.
Ive won it twice in the past month and half, first time for the boa ring, then again for the fishing boots it doesnt seem all that hard. If you understand where the pools spawn and u are there waiting youll probably win.
It's based a lot on luck, but the more preparation you do beforehand the better.
  • Set your hearthstone to Booty Bay.
  • Arrive about 15 minutes or so before the competition starts.
  • Have your fishing stuff equipped if you need the skill points from things like lures.
  • Scout out a favourable spot with a couple of fishing pools visible.

After that, you have to rely on your aim for casting, and frequency of pools nearby. I was hooking fish pretty fast, but I think if you had a lower Fishing skill you might be better off re-casting if you haven't hooked anything with 40% cast bar remaining.

If you do manage to win / qualify, don't piss about when you are picking your prize. There's stories on the wowhead forums about people who have been pipped at the post because they dithered while selecting their prize! Have a prize in mind and pick it right away. The Goblin is the prize giver, not the robot.
It's based a lot on luck, but the more preparation you do beforehand the better.
  • Set your hearthstone to Booty Bay.
  • Arrive about 15 minutes or so before the competition starts.
  • Have your fishing stuff equipped if you need the skill points from things like lures.
  • Scout out a favourable spot with a couple of fishing pools visible.

After that, you have to relay on your aim for casting, and frequency of pools nearby. I was hooking fish pretty fast, but I think if you had a lower Fishing skill you might be better off re-casting if you haven't hooked anything with 40% cast bar remaining.

If you do manage to win / qualify, don't piss about when you are picking your prize. There's stories on the wowhead forums about people who have been pipped at the post because they dithered while selecting their prize! Have a prize in mind and pick it right away. The Goblin is the prize giver, not the robot.

First time i won i had like 75 fishing skill with no lures, im pretty sure the no fail from pools thing applies to the tastyfish schools too.
01/15/2018 12:55 AMPosted by Isilarya
First time i won i had like 75 fishing skill with no lures, im pretty sure the no fail from pools thing applies to the tastyfish schools too.

Yep, I was just thinking more along the lines of efficient time management.