So excited that shadowBolt comes back in BFA

Warlock
1 2 3 5 Next
I just read the patch notes related to the affliction changes in BFA. Man I am so excited that they are bringing back shadow bolt to affliction playstyle like the old glorious days where locks were fun to play.

Such an iconic spell deserved to be in a better place. I dont care if affliction get less better at pvp because of it.

Thank you blizzard. Keep the good work :)
amen
And i'll expect to see the hype die out in a few weeks after the first raid, and then the familiar old complaints on how Shadow Embrace is 'idiotic' comes back, and then the same crying on 'ramp taking too long' repeats yet again.

Seriously, i'm having a dejavu moment right now.

As it seems this whole 'new' direction is actually going back to Burning Crusade.

Spec-bound to pets? was there in BC, now back again and still going.
Shadow bolt, Shadow Embrace, and Nightfall? Same as BC too.
Soulfire? Definitely the signature move for Destro in BC.

What - we're going back in time for Burning Crusade 2.0 now? Didn't we just defeat the Legion?

ps: Don't get me wrong. I'm fine with Shadowbolt back, but i prefer if we can choose between Shadowbolt or Drain Soul. No reason this can't be done.
Might be my rose colored glasses, but BC lock was far more fun than current lock. Better yet would be the MoP playstyle.

The ability to choose one would be fine, but one would always be better than the other...and we all know what happens when that happens.
I'm glad you're happy, but I will be leaving this toon on the shelf if Shadow Bolt is the new filler. I hated it before and I won't play it in BfA. One less toon to maintain I guess...
01/26/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Ichimaru
Might be my rose colored glasses, but BC lock was far more fun than current lock. Better yet would be the MoP playstyle.

The ability to choose one would be fine, but one would always be better than the other...and we all know what happens when that happens.

An entire play style built around spamming shadow bolt and the occasional life tap was far more fun than an actual rotation? That was the premier build as a lock in PvE in TBC. SL/SL was only useful, albeit completely overpowered, in PvP.

Fun is subjective and all, but it seems as if the class designer forgot that they purposefully killed off demosac/shadowbolt builds for a reason.
Shadowbolt is going to be terrible, The information description for our class reads "Master of drains and damage over time effects" Yet they're removing all of our drains in favour for a shadowbolt?

Very questionable.

Going to be interesting when we're forced to move after 3/4 of the way through a shadowbolt as opposed to clipping a drain.
01/26/2018 10:31 AMPosted by Razamuhkin
01/26/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Ichimaru

An entire play style built around spamming shadow bolt and the occasional life tap was far more fun than an actual rotation? That was the premier build as a lock in PvE in TBC. SL/SL was only useful, albeit completely overpowered, in PvP.

Fun is subjective and all, but it seems as if the class designer forgot that they purposefully killed off demosac/shadowbolt builds for a reason.

All we do now is spam UA, from then to current we aren’t all that different, just spamming a different spell. At least shadow bolt looked cool.
Funny how the people who complain about a spec not being fun are often the same ones who say "If you're not having fun, quit" and at the same time try to change the spec back to something atrocious only they enjoyed because of their rose tinted nostalgia glasses. I love the current affliction, it's beautiful, and it's FUN. But now they're gonna ruin it by removing our drain soul, or taking it out of our rotation (which amounts to the same thing, pretty much) and making us spam that retarded skill. If I wanted Shadow Bolt I'd go Demo.
01/26/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Ichimaru

All we do now is spam UA, from then to current we aren’t all that different, just spamming a different spell. At least shadow bolt looked cool.

You clearly have no idea how to play this spec. In multi target fights, like Dogs, Coven and Eonar, UA isn't even our most important spell. We don't even use it at all in Eonar (or very rarely if the burst DPS can't kill the Obfuscators and require our help).
I dont understand you guys.

First you were crying because Drain soul is our filler and then you are crying because they will be removing it.

It is clear that the warlock forum is among the toxiest forum I have ever seen. You cant be happy
01/26/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Augustoc

You clearly have no idea how to play this spec. In multi target fights, like Dogs, Coven and Eonar, UA isn't even our most important spell. We don't even use it at all in Eonar (or very rarely if the burst DPS can't kill the Obfuscators and require our help).

If you want to flex your epeen, based on parses I know the spec better than you. That said, it doesn’t make it more or less fun, which is indeed subjective. Eonar is a joke fight anyway. I never asked to be a pseudo shadow priest, nor do I have any say in what or how they change my class. You’re a funny one.
01/26/2018 10:43 AMPosted by Dotlady
I dont understand you guys.

First you were crying because Drain soul is our filler and then you are crying because they will be removing it.

It is clear that the warlock forum is among the toxiest forum I have ever seen. You cant be happy

Some people complained about it, and were quite vocal. Those who were never bothered by it, and may actually enjoy it never really bothered to comment as it didn't matter anyway.

You're now hearing the complaints from the people who are the latter.
01/26/2018 10:47 AMPosted by Ichimaru
I never asked to be a pseudo shadow priest, nor do I have any say in what or how they change my class. You’re a funny one.

He is right, Drain spells are originally from shadow priest. I DONT WANT to be a Pseudo shadow priest.

I am happy that the old lock style is coming back. Thats why I leveled one in first place.

Nevertheless It would be nice if blizzard add drain soul as option so we would have more variety to choose.
01/26/2018 10:31 AMPosted by Razamuhkin

In TBC you did not cast Agony, you did not cast Corruption(as you would NEVER take any points in affliction). You would sacrifice your demon, cast shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt... Life tap... Shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, repeat until the target or you were dead.

That was the high-end TBC PvE warlock. Compared to the actual rotation of current affliction locks, the latter(while easy) is still undeniably more complex.
Fck that. SoO affliction. What I really want to come back, if old spells are making any kind of return, is soulburn. Shadow bolt has no place in a spec rotation based around dot type effects. Soulburn worked awesome and make for some sick combos
BEGONE DRAIN SOUL

I have cast drain soul enough this xpac too last me for a life time.
You're completely forgetting the part where we'll still be spamming UA. But now also spam Shadowbolt.
01/26/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Razamuhkin

In TBC you did not cast Agony, you did not cast Corruption(as you would NEVER take any points in affliction). You would sacrifice your demon, cast shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt... Life tap... Shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, repeat until the target or you were dead.

That was the high-end TBC PvE warlock. Compared to the actual rotation of current affliction locks, the latter(while easy) is still undeniably more complex.
Truth, minus the Rose Tinted Goggles.

The actual, 1-button spec. Even though everyone used to give Arcane the mockery for it. SM/Ruin was an actual single button spec.
They can change our description from master of shadow magic and drain spells, to shadowbolt badass. I doubt they are keeping the same text going into to the next expansion.
If you review the talent tree, you can have shadowbolt, haunt, and have our dots tick 15% faster, so it won’t be a shadowbolt spam. You may get 3-4 off before doing something different.
I also said I preferred MOP to BC. I have absolutely zero problem with them taking BC lock and improving upon it. We will now cast all the spells we didn’t back then. Yea, we will be still spamming UA which is kind of meh, but an improvement none the less. I am also not opposed to the option to pick SB or MG/DS as a talent, but would be really happy if DS became an execute spell again.

Also, WTB Soulswap.