So excited that shadowBolt comes back in BFA

Warlock
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
01/26/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Razamuhkin
In TBC you did not cast Agony, you did not cast Corruption(as you would NEVER take any points in affliction). You would sacrifice your demon, cast shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt... Life tap... Shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, repeat until the target or you were dead.

That was the high-end TBC PvE warlock. Compared to the actual rotation of current affliction locks, the latter(while easy) is still undeniably more complex.

And it would be kept like that. I guess the rotation would be.

1. Curse of agony
2. Corruption
3. Siphon life
4. Death bolt or haunt (if talented)
5. Shadow bolt (with instant sb plus 25% damage boost from nightfall)

It looks too dam sexy for me
01/26/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Spøøky
They can change our description from master of shadow magic and drain spells, to shadowbolt badass. I doubt they are keeping the same text going into to the next expansion

It was changed to say that anyway, so that point is moot. We are whatever Blizzard says we are.
We still have both shadowbolt and Drain soul. I’m sure both will be viable since everyone wants one or the other. The play style isn’t going to change that much. Shadowbolt and drain soul have the same job, to fill the downtime in our spec. So just have high hopes and crossed fingers.
01/26/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Dotlady
01/26/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Razamuhkin
In TBC you did not cast Agony, you did not cast Corruption(as you would NEVER take any points in affliction). You would sacrifice your demon, cast shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt... Life tap... Shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, repeat until the target or you were dead.

That was the high-end TBC PvE warlock. Compared to the actual rotation of current affliction locks, the latter(while easy) is still undeniably more complex.

And it would be kept like that. I guess the rotation would be.

1. Curse of agony
2. Corruption
3. Siphon life
4. Death bolt or haunt (if talented)
5. Shadow bolt (with instant sb plus 25% damage boost from nightfall)

It looks too dam sexy for me
Deathbolt is going to be so damn irritating to maximize with how short UA is. You'll need to squeeze in a refresh cycle; and UA dump every 25s. (Deathbolt's CD)
01/26/2018 11:05 AMPosted by Hemerick
Fck that. SoO affliction. What I really want to come back, if old spells are making any kind of return, is soulburn. Shadow bolt has no place in a spec rotation based around dot type effects. Soulburn worked awesome and make for some sick combos

Yes yes yes!

Soulburn please.

You're completely forgetting the part where we'll still be spamming UA. But now also spam Shadowbolt.

Finally some more people talking sense around here.

UA just needs to be removed as a shard spender in favour of haunt.
01/26/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Fairyland
I'm fine with Shadowbolt back, but i prefer if we can choose between Shadowbolt or Drain Soul.

Or we could have both, with Drain Soul going back to being our <25% Execute. That was our signature move.
Seems like they basically didn't like the self healing & damage of Drain Soul.

Which TBH was OP as hell and double dips on leech. Raid wise it meant if something didn't 1 shot me i could essentially ignore it.

Shadowbolt filler will be meh, instant shadowbolts here and there. Having to move while casting drain isn't a big issue because of the ticks. Where as moving before a shadowbolt cast finishes will cancel it all. So minor loss there.

I'm not really looking forward to losing my durability and taking a mobility hit.
So excited to get locked out when shadow bolt gets kicked and losing infernal stun and fel hunter interrupt without grimore of service. Can't wait.
Based on data available right now, ST will be keep up dots, try to max uptime of UA, haunt on CD, SB in between. Multi target is where all those who "miss the old style" will cringe. You will not only have to keep up full dots, you have to alternate shadow bolts (can't let SE fall off) and alternate UAs. I think by default write will win on 2 targets (something like Felhounds), should they make a 3-4 target fight, I think absolute will win out. It's just not possible to maintain 3 dots on 3 targets, 3 stacks of SE, and weaving UAs in between. Nightfall might also take priority (just to make it easier to keep the debuff). It'll be interesting for sure.
01/26/2018 07:18 PMPosted by Dragula
So excited to get locked out when shadow bolt gets kicked and losing infernal stun and fel hunter interrupt without grimore of service. Can't wait.

We already get locked out when Drain Soul gets kicked so why is this a comment.

Infernal Stun is a 3m cd, lasts 2 seconds and is already DR'd by the time you use it because of the infinite melee stuns on 30-60s CDs. It's also a big DPS loss because you could have summoned a Doomguard instead, assuming you're not using GoSup. If you are and are using Infernal as your permanent pet, lol.

We're also getting Shadowfury baseline, which has never happened. Consider that a buff.

Felhunter under GrimServ is a 1.5m CD Interrupt that costs a Soul Shard. It's not a game changer. We still have our regular interrupt, and now we get to keep it when we talent into GoSac.
01/26/2018 07:50 PMPosted by Oopsüdied

Infernal Stun is a 3m cd, lasts 2 seconds and is already DR'd by the time you use it because of the infinite melee stuns on 30-60s CDs. It's also a big DPS loss because you could have summoned a Doomguard instead, assuming you're not using GoSup. If you are and are using Infernal as your permanent pet, lol.

We're also getting Shadowfury baseline, which has never happened. Consider that a buff.

Felhunter under GrimServ is a 1.5m CD Interrupt that costs a Soul Shard. It's not a game changer. We still have our regular interrupt, and now we get to keep it when we talent into GoSac.

Felhunter kills casters and healers. Infernal stun keeps melee off you. Use it in almost PvP encounter. Makes a bigger difference than you realize.
So this is also their way of nerfing Affliction's unfair sustain bonus. (The ludicrous self healing in main rotation).
01/26/2018 07:50 PMPosted by Oopsüdied

Infernal stun has no diminishing returns because it's a micro stun. It's considered a missile.

Shadowfury was baseline once upon a time too, On a 30 second CD.

So to summarize what affliction looses is.

• Loss of a micro aoe stun
  • Loss of our second interupt
  • Shadowfury nerfed because the CD was doubled
  • We're loosing even more control than we had previously yet classes like rogues and mages will dominate cc.

Why are they allowed to have so much control?

Warlocks were always the ones about endurance and control yet they're stripping both of those things away from us.
    call me old fashioned, but I dream of manna drain coming back.
    I like how having the pro shadowbot opinion gets so many people out with their pitchforks.

SE is a talent, so if you don’t like it or suck at it, you can always take haunt or death bolt. The sky is always falling up in here.
    01/26/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Blackpower
    So this is also their way of nerfing Affliction's unfair sustain bonus. (The ludicrous self healing in main rotation).
    That's a problem that they created themselves, when they merged Drain Life into Drain Soul.

Drain Soul never had any self-healing properties before, except the major/minor glyph period where we can glyph it to restore X% hp on killing blow.

The bigger problem is without Drain Soul, even as limited as it is, we don't have any reliable way of getting Soul Shards other than Agony procs. Which depends on your mileage, can be either tolerable or just unplayable - just like it did at the launch of Legion.

We need a reliable Soul Shard generator that can produce Soul Shard on demand. Shadowbolt never even helped generating soul shards on Affliction, while Drain Soul did it reliably.

If they can address this problem, then it might just work. Else your dps would just simply tanked from having Shard Starvation.
    The problem I see with being able to choose between shadowbolt and drain soul is inherently that there are three possible situations.

1. They split drain life and drain soul into two different abilities again. Now all things being equal drain is always better than shadowbolt because even if you have to interrupt your channel for movement you still got some damage.

2. They don't split the spells, and damage in equal on paper. Drain is definitely always better now because it's safer and costs the healer less mana.

3. Shadowbolt is always better because it has to be to offset drains healing, which looks to be how things are going to be in BFA, since I don't BELIEVE drain is actually being removed, just shifted away from being the default filler spell.
    I'd rather go back to the WoD model where Haunt and Soul Burn were the soul shard spenders. Maintenance buffs aren't popular, but it certainly wasn't as reviled as UA spamming is.
    01/26/2018 08:27 PMPosted by Lystrad
    1. They split drain life and drain soul into two different abilities again. Now all things being equal drain is always better than shadowbolt because even if you have to interrupt your channel for movement you still got some damage.
    It would be the best solution, and it can be elevated to make Shadowbolt a competitive choice.

Like Nightfall for example. They can just baked it directly into Corruption baseline, giving corruption some useful property. Corruption just feels terribly bland since they moved the shard generation mechanic to Agony.

But in the end of the day, the problem is simple.

We got one filler that generates a soul shard on adds/kill target, the other looks fancy and cool but doesn't give soul shard.

Which one will end up being preferred? Is that even a contest? Or does people actually assume that Agony proccing shards is 'good enough'?
    Simple take affliction back to mop design = win