So excited that shadowBolt comes back in BFA

Warlock
01/26/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Thathotgirl
I'd rather go back to the WoD model where Haunt and Soul Burn were the soul shard spenders. Maintenance buffs aren't popular, but it certainly wasn't as reviled as UA spamming is.

Thankyou finally some more people talking some sense!
01/26/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Thathotgirl
I'd rather go back to the WoD model where Haunt and Soul Burn were the soul shard spenders. Maintenance buffs aren't popular, but it certainly wasn't as reviled as UA spamming is.

Honestly would really appreciate your input on my thread over on the class development forums.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20761017611?page=1
01/26/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Dotlady
01/26/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Razamuhkin
In TBC you did not cast Agony, you did not cast Corruption(as you would NEVER take any points in affliction). You would sacrifice your demon, cast shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt... Life tap... Shadow bolt, shadow bolt, shadow bolt, repeat until the target or you were dead.

That was the high-end TBC PvE warlock. Compared to the actual rotation of current affliction locks, the latter(while easy) is still undeniably more complex.

And it would be kept like that. I guess the rotation would be.

1. Curse of agony
2. Corruption
3. Siphon life
4. Death bolt or haunt (if talented)
5. Shadow bolt (with instant sb plus 25% damage boost from nightfall)

It looks too dam sexy for me

For single target.

Try to pull that off in a council, let alone multi-target fight. You'll get GCD locked constantly(assuming soul shard generation is consistent).

You wouldn't know anything about that though; you don't raid.
01/27/2018 01:12 AMPosted by Razamuhkin
01/26/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Dotlady

And it would be kept like that. I guess the rotation would be.

1. Curse of agony
2. Corruption
3. Siphon life
4. Death bolt or haunt (if talented)
5. Shadow bolt (with instant sb plus 25% damage boost from nightfall)

It looks too dam sexy for me

For single target.

Try to pull that off in a council, let alone multi-target fight. You'll get GCD locked constantly(assuming soul shard generation is consistent).

You wouldn't know anything about that though; you don't raid.

That's exactly how affliction is now. You gcd lock on multitarget fights such as antoran high command.

Feels worse than it did in the past especially with UA being the spender.

The rotation and shard management just flowed better with Haunt, Soulburn and soulswap.
Huh, are we in the twilight zone? Do people not remember how terrible Shadowbolt was?

If you want class depth there are many other ways to do it. Shadowbolt looks like crap and plays like crap.

Let Demo have shadowbolt and bring back stuff like Soulburn, now THAT was a fun time and gave depth.
If we loose drain soul as a filler, we will loose self sustain and tankiness. Think before what u ask nubs
Hum drain life still there, put a drain soul glyph, and a skill ("if affliction warlock kill target with drain life/shadowbolt you get a soulshard")
Done, All happy kkkkk(no one quoted malefic grasp... Drain soul is just drain life with purple/pink effect)
01/27/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Voidlord
If we loose drain soul as a filler, we will loose self sustain and tankiness. Think before what u ask nubs

We were going to lose it anyway, even if Drain Soul stayed the healing would've been gutted. If Blizzard liked the self-sustain niche so much they would've found a way to keep it but they clearly don't like it (and for good reason).
01/26/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Xelnaz
"Master of drains and damage over time effects"

exactly cbf going back to hard cast abilities with aff leave that !@#$ for demo and destro.
Shadowbolt gives us a much more fun gameplay. Any spec that allows you to take your hands off the keyboard is not as engaging as something that allows you to throw a cool spell.
01/27/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Spøøky
Shadowbolt gives us a much more fun gameplay. Any spec that allows you to take your hands off the keyboard is not as engaging as something that allows you to throw a cool spell.

Not sure how spamming 1 extra button, and seeing a blob of crap fly out, is any better than what we have now.
01/27/2018 11:51 PMPosted by Màp

Not sure how spamming 1 extra button, and seeing a blob of crap fly out, is any better than what we have now.

At least you see that blob of crap ;)

Edit: We are also getting new animations and spell effects anyway. Whether you prefer Drain Soul or Shadow bolt is irrelevant, as what is fun for you is not necessarily fun for someone else. No opinion is absolute. This is going to be like Soul Effigy all over again.
I can understand how different people find fun in different things. And yes, alot of other people do find Drain Soul fun, much like others like yourself who liked Shadowbolt.

But if you're saying you prefer to have some flashy graphics than an actual workhorse that keeps the spec functional, i'm afraid you're way down in the wrong hole.

Unless they improve Shard Generation somehow, Drain Soul which gives soul shards will always be better than Shadowbolt that doesn't proc soul shards - that's a fact.

Don't expect Agony procs to fill that need - as that was proven in this expansion at the beginning when Drain Soul was made into a talent, and we literally hit rock-bottom in Night Hold.

And I certainly don't expect Shadowbolt will generate a Soul Shard either for Affliction, like it does for Demonology - because that might be borderline overpowered.
01/28/2018 01:26 AMPosted by Fairyland

And I certainly don't expect Shadowbolt will generate a Soul Shard either for Affliction, like it does for Demonology - because that might be borderline overpowered.

I'm afraid of that too. If they keep this UA system, they prob won't let us have 100% control of our Shards, specially now that Contagion It's baseline. Let's just see how SB works in Aff b4 loving It or hating It.
But i'm actually excited to try an DeathBolt build with Creeping Death and Shadow's Embrace.
01/28/2018 05:04 AMPosted by Trpologonina
01/28/2018 01:26 AMPosted by Fairyland

I'm afraid of that too. If they keep this UA system, they prob won't let us have 100% control of our Shards, specially now that Contagion It's baseline. Let's just see how SB works in Aff b4 loving It or hating It.
But i'm actually excited to try an DeathBolt build with Creeping Death and Shadow's Embrace.

I'm not keen on Death Bolt with that 25 second CD.... Unlike the other two options it won't align with your external procs as well so that puts a big damper on it benefiting from your damage modifiers. I can only hope they lower it out of the 25 second CD down the line to make it more viable.
01/28/2018 05:24 AMPosted by Magilou

I'm not keen on Death Bolt with that 25 second CD.... Unlike the other two options it won't align with your external procs as well so that puts a big damper on it benefiting from your damage modifiers. I can only hope they lower it out of the 25 second CD down the line to make it more viable.

Or they could keep the CD but make It instant, and would be awesome If DB make our DoTs deal instant damage, this would proc so many interesting interactions beetwen our DoTs effects and talents choices.
01/27/2018 06:15 PMPosted by Thathotgirl
We were going to lose it anyway, even if Drain Soul stayed the healing would've been gutted. If Blizzard liked the self-sustain niche so much they would've found a way to keep it but they clearly don't like it (and for good reason).

There was nothing to suggest this though, the self healing has always been there and Warlock's class fantasy is tanky caster.
I absolutely love the class fantasy behind Drain Soul but I'll still stick with this class with Shadow Bolt as the filler.
Why? If you want to cast a filler instead of channel one you can play either Demo or Destro. Drain Life is what makes Affliction Affliction. Leave it alone.

There plenty to fix for Destro and Demo.
01/28/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Oxycut
Why? If you want to cast a filler instead of channel one you can play either Demo or Destro. Drain Life is what makes Affliction Affliction. Leave it alone.

There plenty to fix for Destro and Demo.

What are you talking about?

Go read the specialization information in the game about affliction.

Read how it says it's the master of drains and damage over time effects. Shadowbolt is rubbish and people will realise once they start playing the spec and raiding with it.