Bitcoin is crashing.. HARD! This is good!!

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Sometime after 1/16/18 around 2 AM CST, Bitcoin just crashed all the sudden.... went from 14k to about 12k.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/

All kinds of coins you hear or see are all tied to Bitcoin, so if Bitcoin goes down, the other coins go down with it.

If these said coins continue to drop hard, miners will finally realize how stupid they were doing trying to buy things like 160 1080 ti's to make quick cash.

This is good and bad for us however.

Finally new cards will be coming in stock, but at the same time you'll have a mass flood of used cards on resellers like eBay for example.

Never buy a used gpu from eBay at this time because these said cards were very likely tormented with heat 24/7 and you don't know the condition of the said card.

Now if it continues to go down more and more, great, everyone will have a chance to get new GPUs again.

and if it doesn't.... it doesn't sadly.
I need a better GPU than this 1060 3gb
Heh, it sounds like governments are realizing this is something they just might want to regulate. I'm definitely glad I picked up my 1080 when i did seeing as the prices have just about doubled.
The OP really loves jumping to conclusions...
01/16/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Keleste
The OP really loves jumping to conclusions...

Among other things.
Pretty dumb you can buy an entire pre-built cheaper than building your own, in most cases.

Not to mention the high fees on BTC, all the hype around LTC/ETH yet no large services (e.g. eBay, Steam, Amazon) aren't supporting their coins despite lower transaction fees, and above all that the "hype-train" jumping from coin to coin -- one week it's XRP/Ripple, the next people jump back to Monero or something that's in the top #15 of CoinMarketCap at the time.

Above all that I'm just glad I got a 10XX card way before mining was all the craze.
It's not *just* mining driving prices up. We're dealing with DDR4 supply issues that were predicted several years ago back when RAM was dirt cheap and nobody wanted to expand their operations. Mining has increased demand for AMD cards, but that's also not a new issue (pretty much been a thing for 3 or 4 years now. NVIDIA cards are in demand largely because AMD can't be bothered to release a proper competitor on the high end (and nothing in sight for 2018), which means NVIDIA has been supporting a huge share of the gaming market.

There's just a whole bunch of stuff coming together to create the situation we're in. Even if supply wasn't messed up, the whole Spectre/Meltdown thing would still be casting shade on new builds for the next 6 to 12 months.
01/16/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Butts
Pretty dumb you can buy an entire pre-built cheaper than building your own, in most cases.

Pre-builts are usually always cheaper, and have been for a decade or so. The exception is vendors like Falcon or Alienware that invest in their own design and engineering -- those are usually more expensive.

Anyway, the reason pre-builts should be cheaper is due to volume. It's the shady local PC shops that don't move much volume that tend to jack prices up for labor. I wouldn't ever recommend one of those places.
It's not *just* mining driving prices up. We're dealing with DDR4 supply issues

lolwut? GPUs use GDDR5/5X or HBM1/2. That memory is made in entirely different fabs. There is no RAM shortage for GPUs.

NVIDIA cards are in demand largely because AMD can't be bothered to release a proper competitor on the high end (and nothing in sight for 2018), which means NVIDIA has been supporting a huge share of the gaming market.

About 70%, which has been where theyve been at in market share for about 3-4 years.

There's just a whole bunch of stuff coming together to create the situation we're in. Even if supply wasn't messed up, the whole Spectre/Meltdown thing would still be casting shade on new builds for the next 6 to 12 months.

Why? It doesn't affect 99% of users in any significant way. Even if you DONT patch your BIOS... the likelihood of anyone caring enough about your computer to attempt an active hack using MELTDOWN are miniscule.

Most people dont even know what it is, or that it exists.

01/16/2018 06:46 PMPosted by Keleste
01/16/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Butts

Pre-builts are usually always cheaper,

No they aren't. Go ahead and pick out any prebuilt you care to name, and ill do a build that is cheaper at MSRP prices.

and have been for a decade or so.

So... this totally alien alternate reality you live in... how do you get back to the real world from there?
01/16/2018 07:55 PMPosted by Kagthul
lolwut? GPUs use GDDR5/5X or HBM1/2. That memory is made in entirely different fabs. There is no RAM shortage for GPUs.

Let me help you out...

Not once did I suggest the DDR4 prices were related to GPU prices. I talk about different things that are all contributing to an increased cost in building a computer. Memory is one such aspect; in many cases, buying RAM today is over twice as expensive as buying it last year.
No they aren't. Go ahead and pick out any prebuilt you care to name, and ill do a build that is cheaper at MSRP prices.

Right... MSRP prices. The ones that basically every year are largely unavailable to most people to one degree or another.

I could link a random Dell PC, throw in a GPU, and the best you could possibly do is come up with something "comparable," and only if the buyer could find the parts at MSRP. Even then, the builds often require sketchy stuff like $30 OS keys or crap cases to keep the build cost down.
01/16/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Keleste

Let me help you out...

Not once did I suggest the DDR4 prices were related to GPU prices. I talk about different things that are all contributing to an increased cost in building a computer. Memory is one such aspect; in many cases, buying RAM today is over twice as expensive as buying it last year.

Sure, but there's a huge difference between a $50 component doubling in price and a $400+ component doubling in price.

Another way to think about it, a 1060 6GB costs almost as much as a 1080 did a year ago. That's a huge swing in value compared to the difference between 8/16/32 GB of RAM.

Right... MSRP prices. The ones that basically every year are largely unavailable to most people to one degree or another.

I could link a random Dell PC, throw in a GPU, and the best you could possibly do is come up with something "comparable," and only if the buyer could find the parts at MSRP. Even then, the builds often require sketchy stuff like $30 OS keys or crap cases to keep the build cost down.

First typically cards have always been available very close to MSRP, this is the first time we've seen them almost doubling MSRP and still being sold out. The reason is that this is the first time high end gaming cards have mass appeal outside of gaming.

For lower end computers sure but higher end to get comparable build quality to what I can build myself in terms production quality and just general quality of parts you will be paying more for a prebuilt and it will not be a dell. Or in the case of say dell/alienware you get something that might look shiny but has a bad case design or generally low quality parts.

The reason you're seeing those prices on computers from say dell look so attractive at this exact moment is because they have a bunch of them pre built from parts they mass stocked when they were cheap. Which isn't an option for smaller or home builders. Give it a little while and those dells will also start creeping up in price if card price doesn't come down.
01/16/2018 01:15 AMPosted by Salhezra

Definitely need the 1060 6GB edition. 3GB just does not cut it. My 1060 does pretty great for the $240 I got it for. Definitely wish I would have bought a 1070 or 1080 before these prices shot up.
01/17/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Amksed
01/16/2018 01:15 AMPosted by Salhezra

Definitely need the 1060 6GB edition. 3GB just does not cut it. My 1060 does pretty great for the $240 I got it for. Definitely wish I would have bought a 1070 or 1080 before these prices shot up.

I got it for $179 for my son, but hardware failures put it in my system.

Not upset

Just thought I'd be able to upgrade sooner
I'm so glad I cashed out last month near the ATH. I've still got a mighty healthy sum in cryptocurrency, but I've secured most of my holdings. Not a bad little profit for mining on a handful of GPUs back in 2011/2012...

Cryptocurrency still has a huge future IMO, but it is absolutely not worth its current valuation. Proof-of-work algorithms are way too wasteful and wind up centralising hash rate whenever ASIC miners hit the market. The biggest players on the market also have awful scaling as it is and it's way too slow and expensive to justify most transactions.

I'll probably always keep some money in cryptocurrency, especially since I've never actually invested in it and only gained my stake by mining. It's essentially all free money, so I'm okay with some extreme risk with what's left. I'm going to be diversifying my investments with what I've got out, though, and I'm still looking to buy a property soon enough.
I've got two backup Pi Zero (non-W) computers mouldering in a box.

I guess I should put them to work.
Unfortunately, rumors of Bitcoin's demise appear to be premature. Its price is rebounding.

Rather than root for cryptocurrency to fail, I'm rooting for the development of ASICs to take the place of GPU mining. I don't think there's anything wrong with cryptocurrency mining. I just hate that some of it draws from the same resources that gamers need.