Optical drive

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Hello guys, can someone recommend an optical drive for a 900$ gaming computer?
I've been reading a lot of reviews for some and usually they don't come with sata cables.
-thanks
My HDD, three SSDs, and optical drive all arrived sans SATA cables.

That's not really the issue.

I need one because a couple of professional software packages I'm prone to need only occasionally enough that I don't keep them installed only load through optical and because I have a roommate who isn't allowed on the internet and an optical drive allows me to easily copy bulky content and get it to him.

But they're pretty much on the wane.

Mine is a fairly feature-free LG optical drive. CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray.

Any of them will likely do what you need, though.
Don't even bother with an internal optical drive, i have an external dvd writer i got for less than $20, works fine.
If you are assembling a new computer usually the motherboard comes with a bunch of SATA cables
If not, they're really cheap on Amazon. I went for some matching black ones for my build.
01/15/2018 01:22 PMPosted by Ziryus
Don't even bother with an internal optical drive, i have an external dvd writer i got for less than $20, works fine.
Slow as heck to do large transfers through USB, though.

SATA is faster.

Depends on what he's going to do with it (or if he needs it at all).
Id go with “if he needs it at all” being most likely.

I havent needed an optical drive for anything but a few edge cases (getting data off some old discs) in almost 10 years.
Well there are many people who never use DVDs anymore so most people are now skipping any optical drives in thier build. Several cases in the last few years also have been removing the option to put one in with how little people use them now.

For me though I would like to have one just in case and I got one in my HTPC, not even in my main PC. They are super cheap and if you can fit one in I would say it is entirely up to you. If you have an optical drive in an old PC just take that out and move it to the new PC. No need to buy a new one if you got a working one already. Also unlike video cards or CPUs an optical drive 10 years ago is the same as one today so there is no difference in buying a new one if you have a working old one.
If you care about Blu Ray disks and willing to use software to watch movies in Blu Ray or even burn files or something on empty Blu Ray disks this is what I use

https://m.newegg.com/products/27-136-269

Otherwise a regular DVD drive works just fine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0033Z2BAQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516057888&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=31JpWsniizL&ref=plSrch

I still use optical drives for my virtualization setup so there's reasons to have one if you need one
01/15/2018 12:59 PMPosted by Bonuroushizn
Hello guys, can someone recommend an optical drive for a 900$ gaming computer?
I've been reading a lot of reviews for some and usually they don't come with sata cables.
-thanks

If you live near a Micro Center you can pick up the drive + cable for $20 or less.
Newegg perpetually has decent ones on sale for less than $20. I've put them in every PC I've built and will continue to do so. I'd rather not need an optical drive and have one than the other way around for that price.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135305
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106393
External USB drive is best, IMO. Basically nothing comes in disk form anymore, and watching DVD's doesn't require an internal drive for performance or anything. BR disks are a real pain to get working on computers anyway, so even those aren't a great reason.
The only reason I have an internal optical drive is because I lost the cover plate to my tower and I don't want a gaping hole
01/16/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Salhezra
The only reason I have an internal optical drive is because I lost the cover plate to my tower and I don't want a gaping hole
That's why G-d made packing tape, silly.

Lol that's why i just left my old drive in when i built my last computer, not that it's actually plugged into anything....

Mine is plugged in; I'm thinking about painting the outside since it's that ugly silver color.

Hit it with some plastidip

Lol that's why i just left my old drive in when i built my last computer, not that it's actually plugged into anything....
01/16/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Keleste
External USB drive is best, IMO. Basically nothing comes in disk form anymore, and watching DVD's doesn't require an internal drive for performance or anything. BR disks are a real pain to get working on computers anyway, so even those aren't a great reason.

I still play Diablo II regularly. I mean, all three of my cases have spots for them and they're dirt cheap. I can't see the reason not to have one just in case.
01/17/2018 07:35 PMPosted by Revelin
I still play Diablo II regularly.

By saying this I'm going to assume you're installing from the CDs and having to keep your Play disc inserted to play. You can enter your Diablo II CD key in Account Management - https://us.battle.net/account/management/ and download the game and you won't have to insert any discs. I'm all about the optical drive still but I avoid having to keep a game disc inserted at almost all costs. If you already do this, disregard my post.