Friday 7am PST- 3pm PST...WHY

General Discussion
The times for maintenance are ridiculous! Is there a good reason why these patches cannot be applied during the early morning hours? Midnight to -8am? Why not? Off Tuesday and Friday and will barely be able to play this week. Like seriously who makes the decision to apply these at those hours? He/she needs to be working for the government.
01/18/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Flashoffight
The times for maintenance are ridiculous! Is there a good reason why these patches cannot be applied during the early morning hours? Midnight to -8am? Why not?

Because they're asleep
Because people are actually there doing the work, not just setting a computer to run, and they work during the day.

Game developers already put in insane hours. It won't kill people to do other things for a 2nd day in a week.
So they can fix a portion of the damage this patch caused, because live servers are the new PTR.
This thread is just sad. You kids need to go to school and stop worrying about long maintenance to fix your game.
01/18/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Ivy
It won't kill people to do other things for a 2nd day in a week.
Two showers in one week is just inconceivable.
This is a global game. No matter when they reset the servers, they'll have somebody complaining about it. I'm sure Blizzard has considered the data in terms of player population at different times of day vs. how much extra work it would be to bring in their datacenter staff out of business hours.
Maintenance will always inconvenience someone, 7am to 3pm is outside peak play times (figures the 5 pm to 9 pm ish time frame?) and during the work hours the team all ready does stuff during. The teamw ho works on these maintenance days also have lives outside of this game, sorry they cant tailor their schedules to fit yours :p
I work at a software company that lately has been concerned (overly in my opinion) about doing updates during the day so now everything has to be done during off hours which don't start until 5pm PST (7pm local time for me).

That means whenever we do a patch or update I have to work all day, go home, log back in at night when I'd rather be relaxing, and then work for a few hours that I don't even get paid for because I'm salaried.

It's complete and utter BS because we used to do this same stuff during the day and no one ever complained but that's not really the point here.

The point is, you're forgetting two things.

One, that Blizz staff are humans with families they probably want to see on occasion and they're not robots who should have to work at any hour of the day because it's more convenient for you.

And two, most people are at work/school during the day so daytime maintenance pretty much IS off hours maintenance already.

I'm assuming you're a kid or someone without a job so you probably don't understand but just think about what I've said and think about how you'd feel if you were expected to stay up all night for free so someone else can play a video game.
01/18/2018 10:24 AMPosted by Thallia
This thread is just sad. You kids need to go to school and stop worrying about long maintenance to fix your game.

Is everyone who has a differing opinion from you a child? lol

I personally agree it shouldn’t be on a Friday but I’ll live I suppose.
01/18/2018 10:24 AMPosted by Kegstand
01/18/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Ivy
It won't kill people to do other things for a 2nd day in a week.
Two showers in one week is just inconceivable.

An 8-hour shower does sound nice though.
They are reverting the changes that made old raids unsoloable.
01/18/2018 10:47 AMPosted by Morgueart
They are reverting the changes that made old raids unsoloable.

I doubt that would take a whole maintenance period. I also hope that they're working on whatever it is that keeps crashing the world server the last couple days. :(
Why not when they are fixing part of the game they broke unintentional or not they need to fix their mistake.
Just so happens, I have Friday off from work and school and had planned to play catch-up. Guess it won't be WoW but housework instead! Sigh
I appreciate you're trying to take care of your game.

But are you going to do anything about interrupting the pet battle event for two day-long maintenances?
7.3.5b roll out, its not just mob scaling and old raids they could fix, they should make changes addressing the smallest of details that are now broken and bring the pacing to a halt until midway through a new 80-90 zone.
I've got off work Friday...
Guess I need to figure out what the universe would prefer I do rather than play WoW. /o\