Keychain Authenticator doesn't count?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 19 Next
Blizzard should revert the need for SMS. I've had an account using 2 Factor Authentication stolen because someone called my Cell company and pretended to be me, had a Sim sent to them and received my SMS codes.

Can also easily remove an Authenticator if they have access to your SMS code.

TLDR: Authenticator and SMS is a downgrade in security from just an Authenticator.
01/16/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Vesha
so basically buy a cell phone and get service if I want the 4 extra bag slots, geee, thanks.....I really like a feature that would require that.

Why don't you have a cellphone?
I have a physical auth, and a dumbphone which is technically prepaid, but through Verizon ($100 for 1 year airtime, $2 per day when used - we don't, it's for travel/emergencies so it's got a fairly large balance on it by now). This almost-never-turned-on phone counts for SMS protect and I do indeed have the bag space.

However, my family back home has 2 phones among 4 people (for which SMS protect does not work as each phone number must be unique, so at most 2 of them could get the space) and at least one of those is a Tracfone anyway, which does not work.

Bit of an expensive requirement for something which isn't exactly a corehound pet, Blizz. That had the $6 physical option, and it's cosmetic. Oh yeah, and Authenticators actually improve security.

Now you're telling people to pay for cellphone plans. Nevermind that people in some areas even in the US literally cannot (not every area actually has coverage, even in 2018). And your own SMS protect page claims that voip options don't work for it, either. Bag space isn't just a cosmetic pet, Blizz.
01/16/2018 05:02 PMPosted by Reddemption
01/16/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Casira
Holy cow folks... it's FOUR extra little spots in your backpack.

Four... 4... quatre... vier...

Not forty... FOUR.

Good grief!
The simple fact that this is a spit in the face of long time customer's who have had the authenticator for years .

Oh good heavens... take your martyr complex somewhere it matters. No one is spitting in your face. The propensity for many here in these forums to resort to hyperbole worthy of an emo 14 year old's tempter tantrum is tiresome.

I've had keyfob authenticator on my account since it was released in 2008 and all this crying over FOUR freakin' backpack inventory spots is silly.

I mean, if you think this is a "spit in the face", whatever do you do when someone steps on your wittle toes?
...Wrong. They're all under your Bnet account. Which is what it's tied to.

That is called a "game license' and not a seperate account, please try reading next time.
You said "WoW account," not "Bnet account." Please try wording things correctly next time.

And very few people have separate Bnet accounts for this to be a major issue.
01/16/2018 05:01 PMPosted by Diyandiya
01/16/2018 04:41 PMPosted by Ornyx
As mentioned in the 7.3.5 Patch Notes...
Accounts protected by an Authenticator and Blizzard SMS Protect gain four extra backpack slots.You will need both a physical/digital authenticator and SMS Protect in order to receive the benefit of the extra backpack slots - but either authencticator should be fine! :)
Why is Blizzard pushing SMS Protect so hard now? SMS based authentication methods are unencrypted and trivial to spoof and as such insecure and not recommended by pretty much every security and technology group.

I was wondering this as well, It's no big deal for me to turn on the sms.

But if I have the authenticator I shouldn't need the sms as well. So I am guarding against being hacked despite have the authenticator? Wouldn't it better to stop people being hacked when they have a authenticator?

The most common method being people use blizz europe to remove the authenticator from us accounts?
01/16/2018 05:23 PMPosted by Thallia

That is called a "game license' and not a seperate account, please try reading next time.
You said "WoW account," not "Bnet account." Please try wording things correctly next time.

And very few people have separate Bnet accounts for this to be a major issue.

me, other guy in thread, that's 2 right alone. I know of at least 5 other people I've even spoken to that have this problem. WoW ACCCCCCCOUNT. Not WoW License.

Please try reading things correctly next time, in that case. and stop stalking me,.
Accounts protected by an Authenticator and Blizzard SMS Protect gain four extra backpack slots.You will need both a physical/digital authenticator and SMS Protect in order to receive the benefit of the extra backpack slots - but either authencticator should be fine! :)

I don't have a cell phone.

I do have an authenticator.

Rethink this policy, please.
01/16/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Zeddicious
It wasn't last second.

True. It wasn't last second.
But it is still a silly stipulation.

Rewarding a pet for further securing your account with an authenticator was a nice gesture.

Not having access to additional inventory slots for those who don't take up an authenticator & SMS protection just feels like a punishment. They are withholding something as basic as inventory space because players aren't opting into their additional security measures. I don't know how to explain this other than that it seems like piece meal design. Why not just give everyone playing the game
and paying the sub the increased inventory space? Why do we have to go outside the game and set up an SMS service just to access our full available in game inventory?

It seems like a bizarre situation to limit the amount of inventory slots I can have in game based on extraneous things like adding and authenticator & SMS protection to an account. Why is my in game inventory space being limited because of what apps and services I decide to set up on my phone? It's just a messed up situation.

I am sure people wouldn't be happy with Blizzard offering 4 additional inventory slots solely through purchase of a cash shop item. Players shouldn't face such exclusionary practices when it comes to something as basic as access to in game inventory space. It is only understandable that players are upset with having additional inventory space withheld from them in this manner. It is simply outrageous.
01/16/2018 05:22 PMPosted by Alleryin
01/16/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Vesha
so basically buy a cell phone and get service if I want the 4 extra bag slots, geee, thanks.....I really like a feature that would require that.

Why don't you have a cellphone?

I don't. Why I don't is none of your business.

Rethink this policy, Blizz.
I have the keychain authenticator and enabled the SMS protection. Where are my extra four slots?
The only problem with "SMS Protect" is when you forget about it and get a new cell phone. Currently, there's no way to disable it without access to your old phone number, other than jumping through a bunch of customer service hoops.

I did this, as I stopped playing WoW, switched phones (and providers), and then came back months later... was a bit of a PITA, but doable.
01/16/2018 05:21 PMPosted by Judgementål
Blizzard should revert the need for SMS. I've had an account using 2 Factor Authentication stolen because someone called my Cell company and pretended to be me, had a Sim sent to them and received my SMS codes.

Can also easily remove an Authenticator if they have access to your SMS code.

TLDR: Authenticator and SMS is a downgrade in security from just an Authenticator.

^ I have no idea why blizz thinks adding SMS is an improvement but I am guessing that just is to contact you but really they could just do emails like most other companies when changes are made.

I got a nasty thing on my PC today from checking out things people were linking in threads for this so I am not too pleased with this whole thing right now - probably get hacked on wow now too just because of all this with an authenticator.

This.

SMS requirement needs to go. Fine to encourage people to get security, but SMS is a security downgrade.
01/16/2018 05:28 PMPosted by Andrea
I have the keychain authenticator and enabled the SMS protection. Where are my extra four slots?

click the green + on your bags ?
01/16/2018 04:50 PMPosted by Wenck
I have the authenticator which is on an iPad that does not have mobile (cell) access and my only telephone is a landline. Since I have no means to receive SMS messages - I am being totally discriminated against by your company.

Am I being told I have to buy a mobile phone to meet your demands. At my age (retired for 10 years) I do not need to spend funds on a device I do not need!

A disgrace BLIZZARD.

you should write to your congressperson, those 4 extra bag slots are a basic human right

The physical one works fine, I use it and I got the added slots.
01/16/2018 05:30 PMPosted by Bertane
01/16/2018 05:28 PMPosted by Andrea

click the green + on your bags ?

It just sends me to a support article.

It seems Blizzard is reading the forums but totally ignoring the raid scaling threads and not explaining to us why they chose to have it
01/16/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Reddemption
01/16/2018 05:05 PMPosted by Cottonsocks
... who doesn't own a phone in 2018?
I have a flip phone and not a smart phone . All i need is a phone to make phone calls thats it.
I'm not on about a smart phone, I'm on about a phone for the SMS protect which is just a number, honestly no idea what all the fuss is about for 4 bag slots.