Changes to Recruit-A-Friend

General Discussion
Prev 1 18 19 20 50 Next
I think the kids whining about this change are pathetic. Its a good change that focuses on their intended audience: *GASP* New Players!

RaF was never intended to be an avenue to power level multiple alt characters to max level.

Get over it.
01/23/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Flaks
I think the kids whining about this change are pathetic. Its a good change that focuses on their intended audience: *GASP* New Players!

RaF was never intended to be an avenue to power level multiple alt characters to max level.

Get over it.

And yet the person who gets the mount, the free levels and 1 free month of gameplay (after new acc buys one) is the old player...what the new one gets? a buff on xp, now little one..that for what defending people are saying, they don't want.....pls tell me again how RaF is for new players (don't forget the ones that don't want to play the game because is a lot of thigns to go through)

Get over it.
You are wrong. Get over it.

Get over it.

The point of RAF, the experience boost, etc. was to help that new player get to MAX level as quickly as possible so that they could start playing with you the experienced player. Not to discourage them and make it take longer!

What upsets me the most about this is even Blizzard is trying to pull a fast one here. Trying to connect the Scaled Zones with the XP nerfs when in reality they're not. With Scaled Zones, it doesn't matter if you complete the zone and only gain 1 level or you complete the zone and gain 10 levels, the content scales and stays relevant the entire time.

And oh I'm gaining new skills within a single zone, who cares? Honestly with all the talent, skill, etc. nerfs they have done, what does it really matter. This isn't vanilla where every 2 levels it was worth the trip back to your trainer to buy the skills you had the money for and were worthwhile (and ignore the rest).
Whenever I hear someone say, "It's for the new players", or "think of the new players",

I heard Random_Politician_103 saying, in an attempt to make something not popular - popular,

"Think of the children"
How is Blizz continually making bad decisions? I was hoping you guys would fix your game, not continue to ruin it.
WoW = Pay to Play now. Enjoy the lost subscribers Activision, because I know they're the ones behind this now. You lost before with terrible customer service years ago with CoD, now you lost me here and I cheer for everyone else who walks away and takes their money with them.
I think I'll be taking my money to FFXIV instead of here. I recommend it to everyone and only quit because I had more investment in WoW. Also, that game never gave me any problems like this one with all it's bugs and freezing issues.
already got all 12 classes to 110 so honestly i don't care anymore. rip raf your 300% xp will be missed.
When your 4th quarter numbers are low, and need to do better. This is the result

Get over it.

Considering I never once used RAF for the leveling purposes, I'm pretty neutral on this topic. I used it to get 1 mount once. Thats it. Done.

Despite that, I still think its a stupid change. They already increased the amount of XP needed per level, so that alone was making RAF take longer. Now they've nerfed it on top of the XP nerf.

And as I saw someone else mention, RAF is actually now less efficient than a full set of heirlooms.

This kind of blatant corporate greed is becoming more and more common. I mean, just look at Destiny 2 (also made by Activision) I'm honestly surprised that by now, this forum post hasn't been locked to stop consumer dissent.
Thanks for the feedback and thoughts so far.

The Refer-A-Friend system is intended as an option for players who want to invite a friend to play WoW with them and experience the game together. When it was first introduced, we gave it a hefty bonus to experience gain as a way for both players to reach endgame content as quickly as possible.

Nowadays, purchasing the latest WoW expansion includes a free character boost, so the need to rush your friend to max level is no longer there; you can jump into the latest content with your friend right away. This meant that the only players who were using the Refer-A-Friend system in its intended way – leveling alongside their friend – were those who had decided that they wanted to experience that content together. We realized that, for those players, the 300% XP bonus was a disservice; we were cutting that shared experience short by making them finish it far too quickly.

Now, we certainly recognize that the majority of people using the Refer-A-Friend system before these changes were doing so in order to level alts quickly. If anything, we take that as a strong indication that the system needed to change: the best method to level a character in WoW shouldn’t be “buy a new copy of the game, put it on a separate account, send it a Refer-A-Friend invite, level a new character, and then transfer that character to your primary account when you’re finished.” That’s messy, at best.

That said, we’re certainly taking the feedback about the rate of leveling alts into account as we move forward with the game’s development. We’ve been happy with the changes so far, but if leveling is too slow, we’d rather address that in the game itself than have Refer-A-Friend be some kind of bizarre workaround to an outstanding issue.
01/23/2018 10:45 AMPosted by Ornyx
Now, we certainly recognize that the majority of people using the Refer-A-Friend system before these changes were doing so in order to level alts quickly. If anything, we take that as a strong indication that the system needed to change

All the system did was make it take longer, not make it more fun or anything. Some players still want a quick way to level, and telling them to spend $60 is NOT a viable alternative. Making the grind even grindier just slows things down and feels like there's a hand guiding us towards that $60 button, which is not a good feeling.

I'm so glad I finished leveling every class to L110 long ago, but this completely ruined my plans to play an Allied Race with my friend once they come out. We were going to do RAF but if the XP gain isn't even shared with heirlooms, it seems pointless and boring now. Maybe have a toggle to turn on/off the XP so players can choose if they want it or not? Put said toggle in the UI or at every starting zone as an NPC?

but if leveling is too slow, we’d rather address that in the game itself than have Refer-A-Friend be some kind of bizarre workaround to an outstanding issue.

Buff Heirloom XP then. It gives people the option to use higher XP-yielding equipment if they want to or not instead of this system that was forced upon players. Heirlooms have been nerfed to oblivion (no stats at Level 1!), so why not at least make them give more XP? Maybe 20-30% per large piece (head, chest, legs, etc), and 10-15% for small pieces (cloak, ring, etc)? Maybe make more heirlooms as well? (gloves, belt, shoulder, boots?)

In conclusion: Let players have the option to level quickly or slowly if they choose to, not if YOU guys choose to. "Pay $60 to skip it all!" is NOT a viable alternative. There will always be those willing to buy the boost regardless how quick or slow it is, and there's always people who like leveling and want to go slow, but there's plenty of people like me who want to do it quickly but aren't willing to go so fast, enough to pay money for it. I mean look at all these posts below me. If nothing changes, it's blatant that the changes to leveling, paired with RAF changes, are just to milk us for more $60 payments, especially with Allied Races probably a month or so away. I really hope you guys do the right thing and make right by us. Let us have the option to choose how to level through old, boring, outdated, dead content*.

*PS: Making the health of mobs higher doesn't make dead content not dead anymore. It's literally the same content, just now taking much much longer to get through.

The Refer-A-Friend system is intended as an option for players who want to invite a friend to play WoW with them and experience the game together. When it was first introduced, we gave it a hefty bonus to experience gain as a way for both players to reach endgame content as quickly as possible.

Nowadays, purchasing the latest WoW expansion includes a free character boost, so the need to rush your friend to max level is no longer there; you can jump into the latest content with your friend right away. This meant that the only players who were using the Refer-A-Friend system in its intended way – leveling alongside their friend – were those who had decided that they wanted to experience that content together. We realized that, for those players, the 300% XP bonus was a disservice; we were cutting that shared experience short by making them finish it far too quickly.

Now, we certainly recognize that the majority of people using the Refer-A-Friend system before these changes were doing so in order to level alts quickly. If anything, we take that as a strong indication that the system needed to change: the best method to level a character in WoW shouldn’t be “buy a new copy of the game, put it on a separate account, send it a Refer-A-Friend invite, level a new character, and then transfer that character to your primary account when you’re finished.” That’s messy, at best.

That said, we’re certainly taking the feedback about the rate of leveling alts into account as we move forward with the game’s development. We’ve been happy with the changes so far, but if leveling is too slow, we’d rather address that in the game itself than have Refer-A-Friend be some kind of bizarre workaround to an outstanding issue.

Why not, as a compromise, add an XP buff for veterans? Something like 20%, or even 10% more XP for every max level toon you have. Cap it at 100%. Stacking with heirlooms, of course, since those that put in the time/gold to get and upgrade them should get the perk. It could be optional, maybe an NPC in each starting area to activate it. Like the old ICC "We don't need your stinking help, turn your buff off" NPC, but in reverse.
Buff +XP on BoAs to offset their stat nerf. +10/20%, up from +5/10%, would be enough.

Give a bigger bonus on heirloom (XP 10 p piece to 30% ...and stats).
Give the option to level faster. Simple.

Who wants to level fast, use heirloom.
Who wants to level slowly, not use.
But do not harm everyone.
Giving choices is always the best thing to do.
01/23/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Ripperddog
because I had more investment in WoW.

This is actually an interesting statement here. Basically, Blizzard is saying with these new changes, and by removing options for veteran players, that new players are more important than veteran players.

Now then. Let's pretend for a moment that these changes are something all new players would enjoy and want. It's not the case but lets pretend, for the sake of the example, that all new players want these changes. Let's say that six new players like the changes and start playing for a bit, and six veteran players who hate the changes quit because of them. Are those six new players actually worth more than the six veteran players who quit? Are they trying to tell me that a brand new player who has no money, time, or effort invested into the game is more important than a player who has committed to the game by investing thousands of dollars and thousands of hours?

Hi Ornyx, thank you for answering the thread!

My brother is currently leveling a Warlock through lvls 60-70, with heirlooms. At his pace, doing quests without reading the text, it takes roughly 1h44min to clear a level, which is a increase in comparsion to what we had before 7.3.5.

Also, he mentioned that dungeons got harder, which we liked, but the experience does not correspond to the difficulty, in comparsion to leveling through quests. This increase in difficulty, coupled with the low exp in dungeons, made the queue times bigger, and the dungeon runs feel unrewarding.

So, in my opinion, the exp given after lvl 60 needs to be increased to a number between what we have currently and what we had before 7.3.5. Also, the dungeon experience should be increased too, so that players feel more compelled to join a dungeon run instead of leveling through quests, which currently not only is easier, but quickier.

This is only my opinion, and it's my feedback, but I really hope it reaches someone in the dev team. Thanks for reading, sorry for the bad english!

Now, we certainly recognize that the majority of people using the Refer-A-Friend system before these changes were doing so in order to level alts quickly.

Literally what? Are you serious? Have you not actually read any of the posts in this thread? There are plenty of new players who have used the RAF service to level up quickly because they want to participate in high level content with their friend who was already doing high level content and recruited them. And with the second part, you are literally saying "We recognize that people like to do it to level fast, so we ruined that." That's what you are saying.

"Buy a boost or get bent and level slowly." Wow. GG. You've really shown us just how much(little) you care about the players.
Not giving the option to level faster is just a transparent way for you to try and sell more boosts. If it really is just about the player experience there's no reason to take away the option because some people liked it that way. Buff heirlooms.