Cost of $60 Boost Economics

General Discussion
Do you think $25 for an in-game mount or a character transfer is affordable?

Boosts aren't priced at $60 because Blizzard wants to discourage them. They're priced that way because there's sufficient demand for Blizzard to get away with it.
All I can say is pre 7.3.5 I would have never considered buying a boost

now it seems like a much more logical thing to do from a cost/hr perspective
To anyone with a job let me break this down for you

It takes 30+ hours to level to 110

At 10$ it will take six to earn the money picking up extra hours

It literally takes 5 times the amount of time to level up.

So question now,

Do you enjoy leveling up? If you're like me and the answer is a solid "no i have 6 110s"

Then the answer is just work some overtime and buy a boost

If thr answer is "yes i enjoy it still as entertainment"

The answer is do not buy a boost
Less than 2 hours of work for me. And I've paid for a few boosts when I *needed* those chars at a high level. eg. made a char on another realm to get a guild achievement pet and mount from a nice guild - had to level up to learn the mount.

Another time, I needed some prof on Alliance side "right now" so boost.

Otherwise, leveling normal is not an issue if you don't mind taking your time.
01/22/2018 07:20 PMPosted by Bertane
01/22/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Amarthya
And now, you actually have to learn how to play while you level up and learn what the game is about as you progress. :)

Yup people will level up with pet battles and get power leveled - that will teach them good.

They just nerfed RaF - You think pet battles are going to persist as a way to fast track? No way - its all about creating a grind, which is the pain that is lacking NOW, to drive everyone to buy boosts. Once there is no way around it, its either suffer (and pay more, becuase its taking longer to level) or pay more by buying a boost.
01/23/2018 11:01 AMPosted by Dramaege
To anyone with a job let me break this down for you

It takes 30+ hours to level to 110

At 10$ it will take six to earn the money picking up extra hours

It literally takes 5 times the amount of time to level up.

So question now,

Do you enjoy leveling up? If you're like me and the answer is a solid "no i have 6 110s"

Then the answer is just work some overtime and buy a boost

If thr answer is "yes i enjoy it still as entertainment"

The answer is do not buy a boost

exactly my point, by making lvling take longer blizz is pushing boosts even if that was never the intent
01/23/2018 11:13 AMPosted by Ginnsu

Yup people will level up with pet battles and get power leveled - that will teach them good.

They just nerfed RaF - You think pet battles are going to persist as a way to fast track? No way - its all about creating a grind, which is the pain that is lacking NOW, to drive everyone to buy boosts. Once there is no way around it, its either suffer (and pay more, becuase its taking longer to level) or pay more by buying a boost.

Exactly this. The leveling changes, and now RAF? They are systematically elongating the time it takes to get a character to max level. "Why make new content when we can just make players take longer to get through the content we already made? Worst case scenario, they just buy a character boost ON TOP of the monthly payment. "

These are the agonal gasps of a dying game and they are going to try and squeeze every last penny out of players while gating as much "new" content as possible in order to delay the financial end of the game.

Players don't pay the devs. Shareholders do.
01/22/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Boomerino
They made leveling take quite a bit longer, and got rid of or nerfed to oblivion, every avenue that allows a player to speed up this process. How can you not see this as incentivizing their $60 level boosts?

Because people willing to pay $60 to boost were already doing it.

This isn't going to encourage more people to boost. It will discourage people from creating an army of alts for the sole purpose of gold farming at level cap. Now there will be a commitment to playing the alts if they put in the effort to level it (assuming the player isn't one of those that simply likes leveling and will delete the character once they hit level cap).
01/23/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Joynal
01/22/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Boomerino
They made leveling take quite a bit longer, and got rid of or nerfed to oblivion, every avenue that allows a player to speed up this process. How can you not see this as incentivizing their $60 level boosts?

Because people willing to pay $60 to boost were already doing it.

This isn't going to encourage more people to boost. It will discourage people from creating an army of alts for the sole purpose of gold farming at level cap. Now there will be a commitment to playing the alts if they put in the effort to level it (assuming the player isn't one of those that simply likes leveling and will delete the character once they hit level cap).

My alts already do some gold farming, mog collecting, and are prof mules. Been that way pre-patch and continues that way after patch. Only thing the patch has done so far is make me not want to make new alts leading to one less person to queue in dungeons with during the leveling process. I still have one alt to level so I can finish collecting shield mogs, but given all the complaints about dungeon xp, it's just easier to quest and level with my full set of looms which again removes a person from the available dungeon grouping pool.
01/22/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Electra
in order to profit off something, it has to be priced so the bulk of your target market can feasibly afford it.

Like a Ferrari?
Or a Lamborghini?
Or a Bugatti Veyron?
Or a 19000 Sq Ft house in Beverly Hills?

Some things have a limited market and still manage to make a profit.
nah, its confirmed. they want you to get the boost. it makes no sense for them to make the entire game more time consuming when the current expansion is so endgame focused. like it would make more sense if the leveling from level 1 had something to do with current endgame... but it doesnt. so its just a giant waste of time only to come out on the other side to grind some more.
although true OP...

many long term players have accumulated alot of gold with very little to spend it on and will likely spend this gold on tokens to purchase boosts.

its, what, roughly 4 tokens to get enough blizz dollars to buy a boost. so the effective price of a boost purchased with tokens becomes $80

this will drive up the token price, and may be enough to convince more people to sell tokens for gold.

credit where credits due, blizz found a good way to make more money off the people who dont have the money to spend on the store.
They do have the money.

They just don't feel like spending it on a character boost. They'd rather have new clothes, a new phone, etc.

It is all about priorities. I'm alone, not even making that much money. So 60 bucks to me is not a big deal; I'm not spending 60 bucks on other stuff.

This game saves me so much money, by not buying other games (most of which are mediocre. I've not even seen an xbox one game I've wanted to buy, in a long time.), so 60 bucks is not a big deal. I also only play 3 characters, really.

I don't think the scaling thing is tied to level boosts. I guess you guys have not been reading the forums for the last 13 years? You missed all those posts from players saying leveling was too easy, we out level the zone we want to quest in too rapidly, etc and so on?

So then Blizzard does EXACTLY what a bunch of those posts asked for:

"OMG RUINED THE GAME!"
01/23/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Stillplaying
All I can say is pre 7.3.5 I would have never considered buying a boost

now it seems like a much more logical thing to do from a cost/hr perspective

To be honest,end game is where " xyz% " of players want to be.

That logic up there pretty much sums it up.

It is " cheaper " to buy a boost.

time is money friend
I put my hand up as one who would never level again through old content if boosts where cheaper. The fact that blizzard has slowed it down means I’m struggling to get motivated even for new (alliance) content much preferred dungeon running for leveling old content.

It’s only about $3k to boost all your characters so it’s more about priorities for me besides there isn’t enough time to play so many characters.

PS Have they nerfed Panda enlightenment yet?
01/23/2018 04:37 PMPosted by Morghulis
PS Have they nerfed Panda enlightenment yet?

Somebody in another thread suggested that veteran players should gain access to Monk Enlightenment style XP buffs for each class, not just Monks.

I think that idea is genius.
You either level up slowly now and are wasting your sub time, or pay for the boost. Either way Blizz is increasing their profit.

This is exactly why Legion is such an RNG hamster wheel - keeps you logged in longer.
01/22/2018 07:41 PMPosted by Hipsterdufus

Great, now you just gave them the next way to nerf levelling.

It isn't like it is all over the internet already. I really can't see them bothering, it is incredibility boring, it isn't hurting anyone and there already are restrictions on how many instances you can enter.
First off, why do you think they added the boost in the first place.

Secondly, you are making bold assumptions about WoW's playerbase. Many do have the time and money to spend $60. In fact, that is the price of most video games. One of my toons is in a cesspool guild and I see many people stop leveling to just buy a boost and then proceed to have no idea what to do. So they most likely do sell.

01/23/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Rhayabusa
If you happen to be a college student, you may not have a job, but you sure will get a student loan to shell out a few 100 boosts...

As a student myself, I can tell you that is not how they work, unless you get some kind of private loan that goes directly into your bank account.

If it has nothing to do with decisions of late, why did they nerf xp? They clearly knew what they were getting into.
01/23/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Kybeorie
They do have the money.

They just don't feel like spending it on a character boost. They'd rather have new clothes, a new phone, etc.

It is all about priorities. I'm alone, not even making that much money. So 60 bucks to me is not a big deal; I'm not spending 60 bucks on other stuff.

This game saves me so much money, by not buying other games (most of which are mediocre. I've not even seen an xbox one game I've wanted to buy, in a long time.), so 60 bucks is not a big deal. I also only play 3 characters, really.

I don't think the scaling thing is tied to level boosts. I guess you guys have not been reading the forums for the last 13 years? You missed all those posts from players saying leveling was too easy, we out level the zone we want to quest in too rapidly, etc and so on?

So then Blizzard does EXACTLY what a bunch of those posts asked for:

"OMG RUINED THE GAME!"

And a bunch of people were happy with the game as it was - why shouldn't they complain ?