Why is it so complicated to Equip Gear!?

General Discussion
@Blizzard,

I find it increasingly difficult to know "Which piece of loot is best" in my bags. I have used Ask. Mr. Robot (Seems unreliable at times) I've tried Pawn (Doesn't take set bonuses and trinkets into account) I've looked at stat weights on Icy veins and tried to do it myself, and I've asked other experienced players for their help/opinions.

My question is this, is there not an easier way to do this? I love the game, but I want to play the game and not spend hours on target dummies swapping stuff out trying to find the exact best piece slot by slot. I'm not a Mythic Raider, I have a busy schedule so that limits me to heroic raiding and down, but I still want to know what is the best piece to help maximize the DPS, HPS, etc. as much as I can.

I know that BfA will remove Tier bonus and that is a step in the right direction but please help the players spend more time "Playing" and less time worrying about which piece out of a bank full of loot is the best! An in game calculator would be nice! Or make the ilevel differences so great that it takes away wondering if a 940 is better than a 930 with slightly different stats.

Pretty please?
01/16/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Solenmage
@Blizzard,

I find it increasingly difficult to know "Which piece of loot is best" in my bags. I have used Ask. Mr. Robot (Seems unreliable at times) I've tried Pawn (Doesn't take set bonuses and trinkets into account) I've looked at stat weights on Icy veins and tried to do it myself, and I've asked other experienced players for their help/opinions.

My question is this, is there not an easier way to do this? I love the game, but I want to play the game and not spend hours on target dummies swapping stuff out trying to find the exact best piece slot by slot. I'm not a Mythic Raider, I have a busy schedule so that limits me to heroic raiding and down, but I still want to know what is the best piece to help maximize the DPS, HPS, etc. as much as I can.

I know that BfA will remove Tier bonus and that is a step in the right direction but please help the players spend more time "Playing" and less time worrying about which piece out of a bank full of loot is the best! An in game calculator would be nice! Or make the ilevel differences so great that it takes away wondering if a 940 is better than a 930 with slightly different stats.

Pretty please?

With the way the game is currently balanced, stats vary as to what you need, and when you need said stat(s).

Put another way, gear is always an option. If one stat is something you want more of, put that piece on. Sometimes the way gear is balanced is not tight enough to clearly determine if a piece only 5 or 10 item level points higher is superior.

Hell, in Cataclysm the Broken Mirror trinket, if I recall the name correctly, was end-game gear despite being one of the first items available for tanks at that time.
@Blizzard,

Pretty please?

Raidbots
Good news in BFA certain stat problems will no longer exist like set bonuses.
Do you PUG? If so, equip the gear with the higher ilvl. No need to simulate your DPS. Just equip the higher ilvl.

Do you raid with a guild? You can sim or not. They likely won't make a big fuss about 1-2% difference, especially when some bosses are different to the point of where one stat in one area will matter more than another stat in another area, so your overall damage could be boosted. Let's face it, you're simming against a patchwerk boss, not a boss with mobility.

Do you raid with a hardcore guild? Then you probably already had to do this for ages in the past anyways because tanks needed to get to the defense cap, everyone needed hit, and when you got a new weapon and you were melee, you had to be proficient in it, or it was useless, so they've already been improving on it in the first place.
I use different gear for different situations anyway. For Eonar I throw on my legendary ring that slows mobs down when they have corruption on them. I then spec into Sow the Seeds which spreads it to two other mobs.

In some cases a mastery heavy set will do better damage than a crit/haste set which is usually my best stats for single target raid fights. Stat weights are a guideline to what you should be looking for in upgrades. They are fluid because once you start changing those stats, their priority of importance can change too. Use them as a guideline, not a bible.
man i never had issue equipping gear just click and go lol
01/16/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Kulzuk
Raidbots

I use this to get the stat weights for Pawn. I also use the SimC addon to get the information of what I have to feed into Raidbots.

Ultimately, I get all the simulation information without having to log out of the game.
I remember running an instance in Cata with a tank that maximized stamina. Unfortunately his VERY high stamina chest piece was cloth. Pretty good tank but we went through 3 or 4 healers.
I agree with OP.
I just wear the highest iLevel.

It's the transmog boss that wipes me...

"Does this look good with my hair?"

"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED to wear that color scheme!"

"Darn... I got to only 5% of my outfit left to figure out that time... and now I gotta start over..."
Raidbots is your friend. As several people here have already mentioned.
honestly I mostly just wear what's the highest, with exception of trinkets. I know my class well and put out solid numbers, and I don't worry about any addons for that.

Are you really under pressure to know the absolutely min/max stat? It varies depending on environment (raid vs mythic+), it can vary on boss fights, it can vary with different affixes most likely.

So why worry?
01/16/2018 12:39 PMPosted by Kichwas
I just wear the highest iLevel.

I wish it worked that way. I recently picked up the Unstable Arcanocrystal, ilevel 860. I almost vendored it, but I had read that it's better than it looks, so I simmed it against my two 910 trinkets. It was MUCH better than one of them, and it also showed a clear increase in DPS when testing on the dummies.
I dropped about 5 points in overall item level to do more damage.

I wish it was as simple as just equipping the higher item level piece.
If you have two pieces of the same I-level, go to WoWhead and look up your class/spec.

For example, I am a Prot Paladin.

WoWhead says "Haste/Vers >> Mastery > Crit" for Survivability.

Therefore, if I'm gearing for Survivability I want Haste and Versatility first and foremost, then Mastery, and then if I have no other choice, Crit is dead last.

If I want to gear for damage, then it's Haste >> Everything else is equal.

So therefore, best of both worlds, I would want Haste > Versatility > Mastery > Crit overall.

Pretty easy to make decisions based upon that info.

EDIT: The only time this doesn't work, is with trinkets. They have gearing guides over on WoWhead, look up various trinkets over there.
Just use your brain ... unless you're pushing Cutting Edge content then it really doesn't matter if you can squeeze out an extra .5% dps by swapping some stats around to get perfectly optimized.
depth in character customization is good for the game, to distinguish a good player from a worse one
01/16/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Cleavelord
depth in character customization is good for the game, to distinguish a good player from a worse one

They should bring back reforging.
01/16/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Driggins
01/16/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Cleavelord

They should bring back reforging.

there was zero depth in reforging
I wish they would bring back reforging. I really liked this option. As an answer to your question though simply using google can give u a very quick answer to stats you should be aiming for. I'm. It a mythic raider nor do I care to be top dps if every scenario but I know as a survival hunter my main stats I should be going for is mastery and haste. Simple google search told me this.
My question is this, is there not an easier way to do this? I love the game

http://simulationcraft.org/

Let your computer do the math for you.