Stormwind U's Monthly Colloquium! (A)

Wyrmrest Accord
Stormwind University is proud to announce the first date of our ongoing monthly Colloquium Series in 2018!

WHEN: The THIRD Wednesday of each month at the 6th bell of the evening ((7pm Pacific/10pm Eastern)).

WHERE: The Hall of Explorers, Ironforge.

WHAT: Stormwind University professors and volunteer guest speakers from all throughout the Alliance will present fascinating talks on academic subjects of importance to us all - delivered in a friendly and non-academic tone that everyone can understand and enjoy.

Topics may include, but are not at all limited to:

• History
• Religion
• Biology
• Alchemistry
• Martial arts and sparring
• Lore
• First aid
• Defense against dark arts
• Herbalism
• The art of relic recovery
• Mechanized automatons and other engineering topics
• Performing arts
• Psychology in the modern world
•Alliance law and jurisprudence

And many more!

LOOKING FOR SPEAKERS:

Are you an expert in your field and can explain it in simple terms to a knowledge-thirsty audience? Feel free to SIGN UP! We have spots open throughout the year, but they do fill up fast! Talks should be at least 25-30 minutes in total, but feel free to spend up to one hour presenting your lecture, as needed! Furthermore, please take into account the potential for audience questions and allow for additional time accordingly!

To propose a talk:

- Send an in-game mail ((OOC or IC, your choice!)) to Amaranthaea, Caniell or Lestuu
- Whisper any member of the Stormwind University membership
- Contact us through social media at http://stormwinduniv.tumblr.com/

NEXT TALK: November 21st at 7pm (Server time)

TOPIC: "The Art and Philosophy of Jihui"

LECTURER: Kunbo Kettleclaw, Steepmaster of the Bronze Talons
FAQ ((OOC))

Q: Wait … what?
A: Colloquium is a monthly roleplay/IC event where a lecturer gives a public talk on an academic— but Warcraft and roleplay related! — subject to the general public. Well, the general Alliance. Our Colloquium is presently only available and conducted Blueside. Sorry Horde!

Q: Isn't this just like Stormwind University's Literary Conclave?
A: Nope! Our weekly Literary Conclave is for the sharing of poems, songs, stories (mostly fictional, but quite potentially non-fictional to the teller ICly!) and various other forms of presentation and entertainment. The Colloquium Series is monthly and is for non-fiction within the auspices of in-game, IC lore and canon. (With some wiggle room for a bit of headcanon too, as long as it's presented concisely and reasonably!)

Q: Come on! How is a talk on "The Mechanisms of Druidic Shapeshifting" not fiction?
A: It is fiction for us, OOCly, but for our characters who ICly exist within the realms of World of Warcraft/Azeroth, it's non-fictional based in "reality".

Q: Isn't this just a rehash of the old Alliance Medical Association talks?
A: It was inspired by the Alliance Medical Association, certainly! But instead of limiting topics to medicine, Stormwind University embraces all "academic" subjects. We decided to pick up the general theme for this community event back in late 2015, and have been running it consistently on a monthly basis ever since!

Q: FOR THE HORDE!
A: That's not a question, but maybe the University of Kezan will offer a similar series sometime in the foreseeable future! ;)

Q: This sounds fun! May I do a talk?
A: Sure! See above and look for "To propose a talk".

Q: What if I have a question not listed here?
A: Contact any Stormwind University member in-game, be it ICly or OOCly! You can also visit us our guild forums at www.stormwind-university.com or contact any of the officers directly. (Myself included, as GM!)
Next Up! & Future Bookings

DATE AND TIME: November 21st at 7pm (Server time)

TOPIC: "The Art and Philosophy of Jihui"

LECTURER: Kunbo Kettleclaw, Steepmaster of the Bronze Talons

DATE AND TIME: December 19th at 7pm (Server time)

TOPIC: "Spellbreaking: Sin'dorei Secrets Revealed!"

LECTURER: Angrin Strifetamer, Professor of Astromancy

DATE AND TIME: January 16th at 7pm (Server time)

TOPIC: TBD

LECTURER: Elliistra Thera'dorei, Handmaiden of Elune (tentatively)
Just a friendly little BUMP!

Tonight's Colloquium begins in thirty minutes!

TOPIC: "The Arathor and Human Civilization" [Part II] (A continuation from last month's lecture!)

LECTURER: Elvæ Windcrush, Professor of History at Stormwind University
A few guildies and I have been chatting about this very thing recently- Horde may very well have it's own version of this soon enough! :)
Just a quick BUMP!!! for our upcoming Colloquium session THIS WEEK!

DATE: Wednesday, February 21st at 6pm (Server time)

TOPIC: "Herbalism - The differences of plant life in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms"

LECTURER: Kelanthos Ivyfang, of the Silver Circle

See you there!
BUMP!!! for tonight's Colloquium at 6:00 PM ((Server time!)), to be held - as always - at the eastern gatehouse in Darnassus!
Just a quick BUMP!!! for our upcoming Colloquium session TOMORROW NIGHT!

DATE: Wednesday, March 21st at 7pm (Server time)

TOPIC: "Techniques on Exoplanet Discovery"

LECTURER: Angrin Strifetamer, Professor of Astromancy & Spellbreaking at SWU
Sounds like a good one. I intend to be there.
BUMP!!! for tonight's Colloquium at 7:00 PM ((Server time!)), to be held - as always - at the eastern gatehouse in Darnassus!

03/20/2018 06:41 PMPosted by Kunbo
Sounds like a good one. I intend to be there.

Yes, it's a truly interesting and well thought-out lecture we've got lined up for tonight! (I've reviewed an "advance copy" of what Prof. Strifetamer plans to present! ^_~ )

Looking forward to seeing you there!!!
Can't wait to see this one!
Just a quick BUMP!!! for our upcoming Colloquium session THIS WEEK!

DATE: April 18th at 7pm (Server time)

TOPIC: "So you want to be a Shutterbug? - Photography With Risri!"

LECTURER: Risri Elthron, Owner of "A Moment In Time Photography Studio"

See you there!
i'm going to the Jed'hin tournament at 5 so I may be a few minutes late to the colloquium, but definitely looking forward to being there. I need to get some advice about the June colloquium as well. Can we "make an appointment" to chat after the colloquium?
We also intend to have a presence at Wednesday's Jed'hin tournament, even if just to spectate. :) Depends on who's online and available that early from Stormwind University.

In fact, we'd even decided to permanently move Colloquium's start time to 7pm Server due to the dates previously overlapping nearly every month! It's a compromise I was glad to make, as many of the people who enjoy attending the monthly Jed'hin tournaments also regularly attend our Colloquium. (We also tend to start a few minutes later than 7pm if Jed'hin happens to run a bit later than normally expected.)

Looking forward to seeing you there, Kunbo! I will make sure that we have the chance to speak ICly about your Colloquium in June, and I can answer any questions you might have! (And provide any advice you may also need!)
Just a quick BUMP!!! for our upcoming Colloquium session TOMORROW NIGHT!

DATE: April 18th at 7pm (Server time)

TOPIC: "So you want to be a Shutterbug? - Photography With Risri!"

LECTURER: Risri Elthron, Owner of "A Moment In Time Photography Studio"

See you there!
Just a quick BUMP to get a JUMP on advertising our upcoming Colloquium session, scheduled for two weeks from now! ;D

DATE: May 16th at 7pm (Server time)

TOPIC: "Uncommon and Little Known Magics in Azeroth"

LECTURER: Elliistra Thera'dorei, Handmaiden of Elune, of Silver Circle

See you there!
A quick BUMP!!! for next week's Colloquium!

DATE: Wednesday, May 16th at 7pm (Server time)

LECTURER: Elliistra Thera'dorei, Handmaiden of Elune
If you are sending out in-game calendar invites please add me to the list.
05/13/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Kunbo
If you are sending out in-game calendar invites please add me to the list.

You are still on our Events Invitations List, Kunbo, and should have an invite to this month's Colloquium on the in-game calendar! :D

EDIT: Just double-checked in-game and you're listed as Invited! Looking forward to seeing you there! Next month, you're up! ^^b

-----------------------

And a quick BUMP!!! for Colloquium!

DATE: THIS Wednesday!!! May 16th at 7pm (Server time)

LECTURER: Elliistra Thera'dorei, Handmaiden of Elune
05/14/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Amaranthaea
EDIT: Just double-checked in-game and you're listed as Invited! Looking forward to seeing you there!
Hasn't been showing on my calendar - the literary events have been however. i'll check again.

05/14/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Amaranthaea
Next month, you're up! ^^b
Been perusing dusty scrolls, examining differences between some sets in our collection, & making notes. :) Hopefully there will be too many attendees to actually play a game. :D Perhaps it will spark interest for a walk-up in the future.