Monitor placement

Games, Gaming and Hardware
I just got a new LCD monitor, and was wondering if it was okay to put it in front of a window if the blinds were shut.
Assuming it's not some kind of greenhouse type setting, just make sure you're happy with how it looks. Most blinds will still let light through, so you might have an issue with backlighting (photographic, not display) requiring you to crank your brightness up more, but that's it.
01/16/2018 06:37 PMPosted by Keleste
Assuming it's not some kind of greenhouse type setting, just make sure you're happy with how it looks. Most blinds will still let light through, so you might have an issue with backlighting (photographic, not display) requiring you to crank your brightness up more, but that's it.

I was more concerned with if there could be any damage to the monitor
01/16/2018 10:08 PMPosted by Holygron
01/16/2018 06:37 PMPosted by Keleste

I was more concerned with if there could be any damage to the monitor

Not unless you have some unusual setup. Like I mentioned, if the room has any kind of greenhouse effect going on, or the back of the monitor gets direct sunlight, then overheating might be a problem down the road. Blinds would help with that.

I'm not really sure what other damage you have in mind, though.
If you have direct sunlight hitting the back of the monitor, eventually it will cause the plastic to fade. But that's a cosmetic issue at best. Mainly, you need to think about backlighting making it hard to see the monitor & causing eyestrain if you're sitting in front of the computer for long periods.