Forbes interview about Classic

Classic Discussion
1 2 3 19 Next
https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2018/01/30/classic-servers-cats-and-cute-things-the-world-of-warcraft-interview/#7803d08a5134

TL;DR

Huge technical challenge.
Old code no longer builds (told ya..ironically it was just today I was tossing my old VS CDs).
No decisions on anything.
GRAPHICS ON THE TABLE.

Let me repeat - GRAPHICS. ON. THE. TABLE.
hmm, sounds like we will be waiting a real long time before we ever see classic
01/30/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Starman
Let me repeat - GRAPHICS. ON. THE. TABLE.

Going to be fun seeing who freaks out over this.
Basically, Classic isn't vanilla. It's a work in progress with adjustments as needed and a few tweaks here and there.
Strawman, still grasping at straws as usual.

Newman: Let’s talk about some of the bigger decisions, which may or may not have been made. Are we talking about WoW in its original pristine pixelly glory? Are we talking remastered, something that’s built for the modern engines that Legion and Battle for Azeroth are using?

Brack: That’s a decision that is in front of us. I think my starting place is, the compass heading should be to try to re-create the original 2004, 2005 experience. That’s the compass heading we should be following. But there’s a lot of nuance there. Should we be using the high definition character models? That’s an interesting question, I think, that the community will help us decide.

More importantly Strawman, they have made not actual choices on these things yet. They clearly state that, but what they do spell out right is that Brack him self desires to re-create the original 2004 - 2005 experience.. I genuinely feel he is sincere on this.

He then goes on to state that there is a lot of nuance, and as for the WoD character models there is no choice, just "I think, the community will help us decide".
01/30/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Harland

LOL did you even READ the article?
"old code no longer builds" ... not surprised.
Why would they only update the graphics on tables? Seems a waste to me.
01/30/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Rhistra
Basically, Classic isn't vanilla. It's a work in progress with adjustments as needed and a few tweaks here and there.

Which is exactly what I and others have been saying. I've been a software engineer long enough to know that an exact replica of vanilla is almost impossible. You can get real close, but there are a lot of things about it that can never be replicated exactly.

This isn't porting C++ from one build of VS to another, this is a complete overhaul.
01/30/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Starman
01/30/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Rhistra

Which is exactly what I and others have been saying. I've been a software engineer long enough to know that an exact replica of vanilla is almost impossible. You can get real close, but there are a lot of things about it that can never be replicated exactly.

This isn't porting C++ from one build of VS to another, this is a complete overhaul.
Trust me I know, I'm a network engineer for a major university. And it's not just code wise. It's productivity issues too. GM tools, admin tools, etc, things that allow for the flow of running the show. They invented those tools and rolling back to the stone age isn't something any project is willing to do.
they should never have announced classic until next year at least,get people so hyped and worked up just to find out you will be waiting eons.
They're programmers. They will copy/paste what they can, recode what they can't, test/fix/rinse-repeat until they think they can get away with a launch and adjust on fly as needed.

It will all boil down to just how much they gotta retranslate.

Greatness doesn't happen overnight.
I'm glad to see they haven't decided Yes on new graphics yet. Though how do they intend go about letting us help them decide, I wonder. Voting/Polls, forum discussions, some other method?

I doubt this forum will be the community deciding, but if it is part of it, let me put in my vote now: No new graphics please. Give us the original graphics and original animations as well, please.
I love this interview. This is great.

- They're being really plain about the types of works involved
- They're upgrading the back end so they can support it with new tech = server stability
- They care about the active classic community
- They are looking at changing some decisions they made about content release
- They are talking about using new models

Etc. What's neat is while they are considering some things that make purists like me cringe, they are listening to the community and they care about the results. This isn't someone's marketing campaign, they care about the results. Can we ask for anything more?
01/30/2018 05:16 PMPosted by Lichkings
I doubt this forum will be the community deciding

I doubt it as well. It will more than likely involve everyone. Or maybe the alpha / beta testers who knows? The fact it's even in the air is nice but I'm sure some will be pissy that it's not a dead set NO yet.
01/30/2018 05:16 PMPosted by Lichkings
I'm glad to see they haven't decided Yes on new graphics yet. Though how do they intend go about letting us help them decide, I wonder. Voting/Polls, forum discussions, some other method?

I doubt this forum will be the community deciding, but if it is part of it, let me put in my vote now: No new graphics please. Give us the original graphics and original animations as well, please.

More like Silently reading and never interacting.
01/30/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Vanbracken
Can we ask for anything more?
yes , a decent timeline after announcing such a thing, like wtf.
01/30/2018 05:12 PMPosted by Obveous
they should never have announced classic until next year at least,get people so hyped and worked up just to find out you will be waiting eons.

Yeah but now there's a whole lot more people potentially hyped for BfA, which is coming out this year.
In 10 years technology and architecture has changed faster than what I've ever seen. It's not a simple, clone the source code, rebuild and voila! magic!

I can only imagine in 2004, Vanilla was this one giant huge monolithic application. Now, it's probably broken up into hundreds of little micro services. And this is just architecture alone. If what i wrote is true, this problem is being tackled by a lot of fortune 500 companies right now. And it's not an easy job, nor a quick one. It's a multi-year initiative. And this is just architecture. We haven't even gotten to the code level yet and data storage.

I can only imagine the differences in data storage and strategy also.
01/30/2018 05:04 PMPosted by Starman
01/30/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Harland

LOL did you even READ the article?

The whole thing, even the stuff about BFA, because as much as I dread it will be total crap I still hold out a smidgen of hope that BFA will be decent. (not holding my breath tho)

Regardless of any ones take on this.. The most important thing stated is they are in the very beginning and have made no real decisions on anything yet.