Forbes interview about Classic

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 19 Next
01/31/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Xanthak
01/31/2018 10:22 AMPosted by Axebreaker

They should be talking to the community to figure out what they should be doing, not the other way around.

I think someone brought up a good analogy. You can't talk about the interior design of the house unless you build the structure and foundation first.

And no, this isn't just a "copy and paste" job.

Thats a bad analogy what the interior of the house is and how much room it needs dictates the size of the structure and foundation.
01/31/2018 08:54 PMPosted by Champlainz
Vanilla will be Vanilla....warts and all.

:)

Classic will be a Vanilla-like experience, but not a 1:1 copy of Vanilla. Warts and all.

02/01/2018 07:11 AMPosted by Tuathaa
01/31/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Xanthak

I think someone brought up a good analogy. You can't talk about the interior design of the house unless you build the structure and foundation first.

And no, this isn't just a "copy and paste" job.

Thats a bad analogy what the interior of the house is and how much room it needs dictates the size of the structure and foundation.

Except the amount of room it needs has already been decided. Everything is dictated by the infrastructure retail runs on. They made this very clear when they said they don't want to maintain 2 MMOs. So, again how do we rip Vanilla up into a 1000s separate pieces that is retail?
02/01/2018 12:57 AMPosted by Caelle

I'm not really buying it at this point. I have a strange feeling we are going to end up with something that is similar to Vanilla, but not actually Vanilla

Well no one expects a carbon copy, that is a red herring.

No changes essentially means as close as humanly possible which I think is a strong possibility. Regardless of some people asking even for an LFD lolol.
02/01/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Niialuna

Classic will be a Vanilla-like experience, but not a 1:1 copy of Vanilla. Warts and all.

See my above post. Already addressed that thoroughly but thanks for proving my point.

Why won't the old code build? Is it because of the hardware? Is it because of the operating system? Why can't they just build a pc to match what they had before and do it, that would eliminate any chance of errors.

Its like they don't even want to troubleshoot the problem. I feel like their just making excuses to turn this into a 5 year endeavor, they don't want to take the easy way for some reason.
Why won't the old code build? Is it because of the hardware? Is it because of the operating system? Why can't they just build a pc to match what they had before and do it, that would eliminate any chance of errors.

Its like they don't even want to troubleshoot the problem.

If worst comes to worst then why can't they just use the same code as private servers, yes I'm well aware that most of them are buggy, but classic ones are generally near perfect, why can't they just hire or buy the code...

I feel like their just making excuses to turn this into a 5 year endeavor, they don't want to take the easy way for some reason.

Or, it's like they don't want to operate 2 different sets of hardware or run 2 different MMOs.

They will get it running on the current Retail hardware, alongside retail, most likely with the same engine/database structure.

They aren't going to just throw the old code up on a server and call it a day. That was NEVER going to happen. Nor was using Nost's (or any other pirate server's) code.

They are re-building the game from the bottom up. They won't use the old Vanilla client, either. You can bet it will be a re-imagined version of the BfA client.

It won't be the Vanilla everyone (including me) remembers, but it will be a modernized "Vanilla experience." with the old world, old quests, old instances, and artificial tedium, and without LFD/LFR (which are awesome, but don't belong in Classic), and much of the old talent/ability setup. (Hopefully with a few tweaks to make every spec desirable for raids.)

I'd bet that WoW:Classic is going to be what Vanilla could have been had it been released now, engine wise. A WoW:Remastered type of thing.

That interview gives me hope that this is the case and that the no changes crowd will eventually be crying in their corn flakes.
01/30/2018 05:47 PMPosted by Savax
All they keep saying is it's a big technical challenge.. what does that even mean for release? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years? 3 years?

With how early on this is in development it's extremely difficult to attempt to put an accurate estimate on how long it will take; especially when they still have a lot of decisions to make still.

They're not going to give us a time table before they even have one.
02/01/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Niialuna
That interview gives me hope that this is the case and that the no changes crowd will eventually be crying in their corn flakes.

This right here is why you are landing on the ignore list. And I am not even one of the ones you hope will be "crying in their corn flakes".
02/01/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Champlainz
02/01/2018 12:57 AMPosted by Caelle

I'm not really buying it at this point. I have a strange feeling we are going to end up with something that is similar to Vanilla, but not actually Vanilla

No changes essentially means as close as humanly possible which I think is a strong possibility. Regardless of some people asking even for an LFD lolol.

Holy crap, don't hurt yourself from that massive backpedal.
02/01/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Starman
02/01/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Champlainz

Never back pedaled at all. Your inability to understand the logical arguments being presented is your own shortcoming. My stance is the same it has always been. Your reluctance to stray away from red herrings says more about yourself than anyone else.

And I think its ironic that your the guy advocating for LFD, then directly stated you changed your mind talking about someone allegedly backpedalling lolol.

02/01/2018 09:47 AMPosted by Champlainz
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Never back pedaled at all. Your inability to understand the logical arguments being presented is your own shortcoming. My stance is the same it has always been. Your reluctance to stray away from red herrings says more about yourself than anyone else.

And I think its ironic that your the guy advocating for LFD, then directly stated you changed your mind talking about someone allegedly backpedalling lolol.

That's not how it works.

You "no changes" people haven't been saying "no changes...well maybe a couple of concessions...we'll see".

You backpedaled. Hard.

You just posted this earlier:

"No need to recreate anything for nostalgia. Vanilla was a great game nostalgia aside. And will be a great game again if left alone."
I really don't want new models. I don't want new music. I don't want class balance. I don't want them to touch anything. I don't trust them.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

That's not how it works.

You "no changes" people haven't been saying "no changes...well maybe a couple of concessions...we'll see".

You backpedaled. Hard.

You just posted this earlier:

"No need to recreate anything for nostalgia. Vanilla was a great game nostalgia aside. And will be a great game again if left alone."

Thats exactly how it works, your just having a hard time understanding it. While some no changes people may make those concessions that is not the majority nor is that anything I have ever said.

And yes I did say that quote and that is correct. It was a great game nostalgia aside and if left alone and released it would be a great game. Nothing I said is wrong there.

Your are clinging to a red herring, saying that even coding differences are differences that defeats the "no changes" mentality when the reality is that the no changes mentality is simply "keep the game as close as possible to the game that it was".

No changes doesn't encompass bug fixes or things like color blind mode. Again that is simply your inability to stray away from red herrings.

My stance is the same it has always been, no back pedaling at all. Unlike you who advocated for LFD then directly changed your mind, also known as back pedaling, only altering your opinion after being proven wrong several times.

"LFD was in vanilla, bud. It was removed and replaced later. So...." - Starman

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20760706647?page=7#post-123

It's also worth noting that it wasn't, you just thought it was a good thing and advocated for it. Eventually however you changed your tune and began advocating for LFG....aka backpedalling.

"People are still arguing against LFG as if wasting time saying "Mage LFG Maraudon" for an hour is a good thing. (hint: it's not)." - Starman

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20760706647?page=5#post-87

Yikes.

But honestly, good on you for backpedalling on your original opinion once being confronted with facts. Takes a big man to do that!
02/01/2018 10:39 AMPosted by Champlainz

It's also worth noting that it wasn't, you just thought it was a good thing and advocated for it. Eventually however you changed your tune and began advocating for LFG....aka backpedalling.

"People are still arguing against LFG as if wasting time saying "Mage LFG Maraudon" for an hour is a good thing. (hint: it's not)." - Starman

Yikes.

But honestly, good on you for backpedalling on your original opinion once being confronted with facts. Takes a big man to do that!

Wow. Obsessed much?
02/01/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Starman
02/01/2018 10:39 AMPosted by Champlainz

Yikes.

Wow. Obsessed much?

Obsessed with truth. Yes.
LFG/LFD. Many people have told you specifically that its the same thing. Think about it - you use the LFG channel for groups and dungeons. You're arguing semantics.
02/01/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Starman
LFG/LFD. Many people have told you specifically that its the same thing. Think about it - you use the LFG channel for groups and dungeons. You're arguing semantics.

They are objectively not the same thing. LFD is a specific system that find your group members for you and then teleports you to the instance.

You already admitted this and back pedaled completely from your original stance.

GG
02/01/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Starman

LFD organizes everything, holds your hand, forms the group for you while you're in Q, and then teleports you there when the instance server readies the dungeon.

LFG is a chat channel.

Being able to remotely Q up for a dungeon and then being teleported too it is entirely different than a chat channel dedicated to dungeoneering.