Forbes interview about Classic

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 19 Next
01/30/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Starman
01/30/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Rhistra
Basically, Classic isn't vanilla. It's a work in progress with adjustments as needed and a few tweaks here and there.

Which is exactly what I and others have been saying. I've been a software engineer long enough to know that an exact replica of vanilla is almost impossible. You can get real close, but there are a lot of things about it that can never be replicated exactly.

This isn't porting C++ from one build of VS to another, this is a complete overhaul.

thats the problem. no one asked for an overhaul.

update your compiler and turn the server on. its that simple. instead, someone wants to be "innovative"....
02/01/2018 08:23 AMPosted by Xanthak
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Thats a bad analogy what the interior of the house is and how much room it needs dictates the size of the structure and foundation.

Except the amount of room it needs has already been decided. Everything is dictated by the infrastructure retail runs on. They made this very clear when they said they don't want to maintain 2 MMOs. So, again how do we rip Vanilla up into a 1000s separate pieces that is retail?

I'm just saying its a horrible and inaccurate analogy.
Now if you said you have to have the pizza dough before the toppings would have been better or something else that is more appropriate to what you are trying to say
02/02/2018 09:27 PMPosted by Truculentt
01/30/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Starman

Which is exactly what I and others have been saying. I've been a software engineer long enough to know that an exact replica of vanilla is almost impossible. You can get real close, but there are a lot of things about it that can never be replicated exactly.

This isn't porting C++ from one build of VS to another, this is a complete overhaul.

thats the problem. no one asked for an overhaul.

update your compiler and turn the server on. its that simple. instead, someone wants to be "innovative"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

I also don't care if you report me, I use multiple accounts due to the fact we have a group of mods who are so against vanilla that they even change the titles of "No Change" threads to appear to be the opposite. You will never silence me. Get over it.

Ah, I see. So you're purposefully harassing people by skirting possible bans. Got it.

Just because you don't like people disagreeing with you and providing a much better explanation of their opinion doesn't mean you can reasonably claim harassment lolol.

Ah, I see. So you're purposefully harassing people by skirting possible bans. Got it.

Just because you don't like people disagreeing with you and providing a much better explanation of their opinion doesn't mean you can reasonably claim harassment lolol.

Hmm...so Champlainz disappears and you show up again....

...and you disappeared the same time Cham appeared.
To me Classic is just a different server that's capped at 60 not necessarily a different game entirely. WoW will always be WoW. I expect things like Battle.net integration to be in Classic.

What I personally want out of classic is transmog/mounts/etc being available to use on current "retail" servers. More so if the content or the ability to use the item was removed with the Cata revamp. I plan on playing both forms of the game ("Retail and Classic"). It really doesn't matter if the item was earned yesterday or 10 years ago-if the original source of the item was added back in after being removed.
02/01/2018 04:46 PMPosted by Starman

I also don't care if you report me, I use multiple accounts due to the fact we have a group of mods who are so against vanilla that they even change the titles of "No Change" threads to appear to be the opposite. You will never silence me. Get over it.

That's what the "no changes" crowd does. Nothing but harass anyone that doesn't agree with them. It's part of their M-O.
02/03/2018 07:31 AMPosted by Niialuna
That's what the "no changes" crowd does. Nothing but harass anyone that doesn't agree with them. It's part of their M-O.

Did you seriously type that with a straight face?

No offense but both parties are just as guilty and some of the pro change people are some of the nastiest trolls we have on the forms

Not saying the no change crowd cant be by any means, but if you think the pro change crowd is innocent in this, and that they don't deliberately start troll threads and throw some pretty impressive temper tantrums when they get disagreed with you might want to take those rose colored glasses off and get down off your soap box and start objectively reading some threads
The confrontational vocal NO CHANGES group has hurt their campaign with the various tirades and threats against Blizzard. Graphical changes / updates are most likely going to happen. Transmog will be in the game as it extends interest and life of the server.
02/03/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Hushtyrande
The confrontational vocal NO CHANGES group has hurt their campaign with the various tirades and threats against Blizzard. Graphical changes / updates are most likely going to happen. Transmog will be in the game as it extends interest and life of the server.

Transmog will not be in Classic WoW... what is wrong with you people?
Savax.....transmog will be in game. It will draw in lots of people both veterans and new people that want to try classic.
02/03/2018 08:43 AMPosted by Brightblâde
Savax.....transmog will be in game. It will draw in lots of people both veterans and new people that want to try classic.

Transmog was not in Classic WoW.. therefore it won't be in the new Classic WoW. Blizzard has been very clear on this.

If they are dumb enough to put it in the game, they might as well put in LFD, LFR, and flying. It won't happen.

Too bad.
I'm going to try to ignore this interview as much as I can. Might as well be interviewing a politician with the number of non-answers he gave.

Basic jist is that they still don't have a solid plan. /sigh

Edit: (I'm so mad I'm shaking atm) I HATE when Blizzard management talk about tech! It's not a technical challenge, MOST of what you do isn't a technical challenge! You're talking about converting database structures, that I get, guess what, there's a PS version that runs great and can be modified under something simple like SQLYOG. There are also hundreds of import options with most new databases, because yea, it's a pain in the neck to convert one manually. (Which is what you're making it sound like you're planning? I don't know Allen, you tell us.) Do you really think that hospitals still using old 90's databases converting to Epic don't have a chunk of automation doing that conversion for them. And believe me, educated guess that there's 100x the data in those than what's in WoW Classic's database. And I've seen those done in 6 months, half of that time being spent training end user's on how to use Epic.

So stop the spin Allen and give us a real update. You're not running for Congress you're on a project that has eager customers waiting for you to give us relevant information, else a date and shut up and take our money.

2nd edit: The people that can do this well are out there, the people than WANT to do this well are there, and so are the people that would consider this their life's dream. How you choose to go forward with that is up to you, because right now, unless I greatly misread that interview, your team leadership and management isn't taking this seriously.
01/30/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Anitharia
01/30/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Zlo

#nochanges!

No changes.

No changes.

I hope they don't.
02/03/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Dachas

I hope they don't.

Don't worry, they won't.
Mog isn't going to be in Classic.
02/03/2018 09:26 AMPosted by Sylvandas
02/03/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Dachas

I hope they don't.

Don't worry, they won't.

That stuff ruins economies, I would be shocked if they actually did implement it.