Frost Mage T21

Mage
Just started playing a frosty mage after about playing exclusively healer since cata.

Loving it so far, having some troubles understanding what gear to go for. I know the stat weighs and am aiming for mostly haste/vers now that I hit the 30% crit mark.

Just wondering how good the T21 bonus is, and how many ilvls an item is worth dropping to equip the 2/4 pc.

ATM I am wearing a 940 leg piece over the LFR 915 tier leg piece (they have same stats), but i lose out on the 2 set bonus for wearing it. Not sure what is worth.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: For anyone first reading this I sorted out the gear using sims thanks to Hasylla's help and further down it has just sort of turned into me asking some other questions I have about frost, so if you can I'd love the help (Posting from my mage FaultyWizard now)
The short, but not immediately helpful, answer is it would be a good idea to sim your mage. Tier is good for frost mages. It is worth sacrificing some item levels for the bonuses. How many ilvls I cannot say. It would help if you post as your mage, but if losing 25 ilvl on just the pants slot gives you the bonus then I'd think that would likely be a good choice.

The bonuses have been strong enough that using four pieces of current tier along with two pieces from the previous tier has, more often than one might like, been the higher DPS choice over raw item levels. This is typically done along with wearing frost bracers and shard ring. You don't mention what, if any, legendaries your mage currently has access to, so the value of tier versus ilvl can be affected by that. It took approximately 90 ilvls, split between two low intellect slots, for my character to stop wearing T19-2pc from Nighthold.

One other small factor to keep in mind is if you are primarily looking at a single target fight or a lot of AoE. Frost T21 is mostly focused on single target, so the value of it should go down in heavy AoE where you do not cast frostbolt as much.
Thanks for the reply. My mage is currently wearing the Blizzard belt and the Time warp ring. I just started playing again during this patch so have not done any of tomb of sargeras other than LFR. I guess I should go back and try to make a 2 piece then.

I will post on my mage too, I forget that you have to change :P
Sorry about double post but this is my mage. Seems like it didnt change properly for my other post.

Also is there an addon or something to sim all this with tier bonuses and what not? I know about raidbots.com but I don't know how to really use it other than to show my stat weights. Never had to sim before as it's my first time playing DPS.
Raidbots is pretty easy to use once you get used to it. You will need a small addon so you can copy/paste your equipment setup that is not shown on the armory. The addon is called simulationcraft. Once in the game all you have to do is type /simc to pull up a window with a bunch of text that you copy/paste into the web site.

For a comparison between current gear to possible upgrades like tier, new trinkets, etc, you can use the gear compare option on the raidbots site. Your copy/paste from the game gives it most of the information it needs. Then just scroll down a bit and type in the name of an item you are adding (e.g. runebound tunic). Change the gear as you want and then let it show you if it is an upgrade.

Congratulations on the shard. You already have one of the best legendaries for frost mages!
Thanks for all your help, got the addon and going to try it out.
If Im being honest, it doesnt really matter. You need to shoot for your 4pc and that means replacing several pieces you currently have equipped.

BiS tier 21 is shoulders, chest, legs, and gloves
BiS tier 20 is head and back

You dont have a single piece of gear in any of the tier slots that cant be replaced easily; thats the good news. Getting them to drop is the hard part.

Anything with Mastery should be replaced asap. Getting the 4pc needs to be top priority. And you need to replace the belt as well, Id guess that is a dps loss vs almost any other leggo for ST. It is probably a dps gain on Command only.

Keep clearing normal and youll get it soon. Most people who join normal full clears dont need gear anymore, so talk to the mages ahead of time and youll probably get lucky this week or next. By the looks of it, you have only cleared Normal once or twice, so everything will come in time.
Yeah this character was a brand new boost, only had it for a week so far so that's why the gear is pretty abysmal.

I will try to aim for tier as soon as I can, and hopefully find PuG's for tomb as well to get that 2 pc, but it seems like those are super scarce to find going on.
Good thing about Tomb is you only need to do Demonic Inqi and desolate host for the two tier pieces you need. Frost mage is one of the hardest classes/specs to gear considering the legendaries/set pieces you need and the fact that crit/mastery gear is essentially worthless at high ilvls when you are capped on crit.

You also need clarity of thought on all 3 relics if you don't want to be casting frostbolt non stop without getting a flurry proc.
02/14/2018 07:06 AMPosted by Hasylla
Congratulations on the shard. You already have one of the best legendaries for frost mages!

Now you just need to get your raid to lust early in the fight. =(
for starters your crit is very low, you want at least 30% if you have acrid, if you dont then closer to 32%
02/19/2018 12:53 AMPosted by Oktaisback
for starters your crit is very low, you want at least 30% if you have acrid, if you dont then closer to 32%

Not sure why the armory shows it at 21%, but my crit is at 31 in game I believe (not logged on atm).

I sim my gear now so it's fine on that front, now I just need tier to actually drop from me in both tomb and antorus.

I noticed my dps has improved a lot now that I am more familiar with the rotation and using procs correctly (originally I didnt know to hardcast into brainfreeze).

Just had one quick question for anyone who knows out there, is it worth expending all my fingers of frost charges before going to flurry off of brainfreeze? Sometimes I have two charges up and I am not quite sure if I should be using the brainfreeze proc immediately (wasting a fingers charge), or dump the charges then go to use it.

Thanks for all the help so far though guys.
02/14/2018 09:39 AMPosted by Badird
If Im being honest, it doesnt really matter. You need to shoot for your 4pc and that means replacing several pieces you currently have equipped.

You dont have a single piece of gear in any of the tier slots that cant be replaced easily; thats the good news. Getting them to drop is the hard part.

Anything with Mastery should be replaced asap. Getting the 4pc needs to be top priority. And you need to replace the belt as well, Id guess that is a dps loss vs almost any other leggo for ST. It is probably a dps gain on Command only.

Keep clearing normal and youll get it soon. Most people who join normal full clears dont need gear anymore, so talk to the mages ahead of time and youll probably get lucky this week or next. By the looks of it, you have only cleared Normal once or twice, so everything will come in time.

Sorry for the mini-necro bump on this comment. However it is worth noting that the 4pc 21 / 2pc 20 combo does depend on the ilvl of the various pieces when determining the best setup. As usual, you should sim for best results, but I've found either of the following combos to be extremely close in terms of BiS:

Mentioned above:

Almost identical
t21 shoulders, chest, legs, back
t20 gloves, helm

The t21 cloak is better than the t20, but both have mastery.
The t20 gloves have better stat choices assuming you don't need crit.

In my case the latter setup sim'd slightly higher.
02/19/2018 02:31 AMPosted by Faultywizard

Just had one quick question for anyone who knows out there, is it worth expending all my fingers of frost charges before going to flurry off of brainfreeze? Sometimes I have two charges up and I am not quite sure if I should be using the brainfreeze proc immediately (wasting a fingers charge), or dump the charges then go to use it.

Thanks for all the help so far though guys.

I'm not 100% sure, so I'd check with someone who is absolutely sure, but my understanding is that you want to prioritize getting as many brain freeze procs, so you want to flurry off your brain freeze as quickly(and properly) as possible as long as it doesn't come at the expense of completely losing an FoF proc. For example, if you have an orb up, with 2 FoF procs and brain freeze, you probably want to dump at least one of them before using the brain freeze combo so you don't end up losing FoF procs in the time spent casting your brain freeze combo.
I equipped LFR t21 shoulders and 2 pc t20 and took a massive ilevel hit overall because of it and the results are beyond an improvement so in my experience I strongly recommend getting the 4/2 combo ASAP regardless of ilevel of the pieces. Good luck
Also, I don’t know how your sims look but I would turn on stat scaling and see what’s most valuable for you. I find haste to sim very high for me and can see s lot of improvement when I wear a lot of haste gear (post 33% crit)