Remove Flying For Most of BfA

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 24 Next
If an anti-flyer can provide to me reasons that are solid, logical and not subjective, THEN I will listen.

To date, I've yet to see any reason for why flying is bad that is not subjective or doesn't have holes in it the size of Trump's Ego.
02/07/2018 08:58 PMPosted by Soulprison
I'm willing to bet all these chuckleheads that want flying 100% gone use Flightpaths and the Whistle religiously. All these ways to help get us around faster is such a waste of dev time. Just enable flying and be done with it.

That’s like tax laws that allow companies to pay zero in taxes each year.

They know the better thing for the government and the people in need of defense, Medicare and Social Security is to pay their fair share back...

...but they would be financially stupid to not take advantage of every loophole possible, in order to make their company more appealing to investors.

Just like in this game.

If you’re competing, real or imagined, against other people for quests, gold, rares, xp, etc, then while it may be a better game experience to limit yourself to ground mounts and the like, it’s just foolish to do so when no one else is playing by those rules.

Limiting everyone’s ability to fly keeps the world populated and fun, as well as dangerous. Being on the ground when others choose to fly just makes it just as empty an experience as if your were flying...except now you’re lagging behind everyone else too.
02/07/2018 09:12 PMPosted by Verdre
If an anti-flyer can provide to me reasons that are solid, logical and not subjective, THEN I will listen.

To date, I've yet to see any reason for why flying is bad that is not subjective or doesn't have holes in it the size of Trump's Ego.

Literally all of this is subjective. Their is no objectively better option. If you think flying should be there on day one. If you think it should be at max level with gold. If you think it should be pathfinder. If you think it shouldn’t exist at all. Those are literally all subjective options. There is no option that is objectively better for all people’s gaming experience.
02/07/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Moctezuma
Leveling my Highmountain Tauren with the new 7.3.5 changes made me realize how much immersion is enhanced by staying grounded. It forces me to plan my routes and keep an eye out on my enemies at all times. We got spoiled and used to killing something then mounting up to fly away to the next point.

That is NOT immersion.

I'd prefer to have massive new No-Fly zones with plenty of space to roam around in than a clustered zone with flying. Leveling and world quests could be fun again in BfA if flying was not introduced until the final patch of the expansion during the drought.

How would you improve the leveling experience?

So uh, You're obviously new here. But let momma moonkin tell you a story:

When they first announced that we were done with flying the forums _Exploded_. Reddit _Exploded_ private forums _Exploded_. And the game itself became a ghost town as people mass-unsubscribed. They were forced to give it back to us, gating it behind the pathfinder achievement out of spite.

You may want to spend half a day dazed, being forced to murder your way through mobs whose only reason for existence is to slow you down and keep you from getting to the endgame dailies.

But _We_ do not.
Honestly, why do people feel the need to standardize us all. Let us make our own choices in OUR game. As WoW evolves there are some things that need to be left in the players hands. Here are some examples:
  • If you want to fly to get around faster, go ahead.
  • If you want to be immersed and enjoy questing and the world content, don't fly, heck, don't even use mounts and turn your UI off. Go full RPG mode.
  • If you want to level quickly, use heirlooms to blast your way through old content.
  • If you want to level slowly and enjoy a slower leveling experience, don't use heirlooms.
I don't see why people feel the need to force their own opinions on others. If anything, we should be getting MORE freedom as the game gets bigger. Make it more of a sandbox for people to do as they wish. What happened to people being individuals and making their own decisions based on what THEY enjoy?
Please stop this, no flyers want this to end in blood, can we just fly because its fun for some people?
02/07/2018 09:16 PMPosted by Jonathen
Their is no objectively better option.

yes but Blizzard wont do it they could easily have put this entire issue to rest once and for all by adding both a gold for flight and a pathfinder but no that would show them that even the most dedicated PF supporter would choose the gold option thus rendering their limiting of our choice of flight would finally prove that Blizzard was wrong and that would be a massive bruise to their collective ego
02/07/2018 04:05 PMPosted by Cyriistaa
02/07/2018 03:59 PMPosted by Virus
How about you stay on the ground for the entire expansion if that's what turns you on?

Let others have a choice.

Because it's not a choice. Flying is inherently superior to going by the ground, so naturally players who want to be grounded want flying removed for so they are not punished for their play style. Good game designers realize gamers often take the path of least resistance, even if that path is one that causes them to play the game in a way that they do not enjoy.

Superior or not, players should have a choice. It's called selfishness when you ask that something be removed from everyone just because it doesn't fit your personal playstyle. That's like me saying, for example, I don't like to raid so they should remove raiding from the game. That would be totally selfish of me, unrealistic, and remove something that tons of people enjoy. Have some self control. Stick to your guns and play without flying if that's how you truly want it. Yes, players sometimes take the path of least resistance, but look at all the players who do the IRONMAN CHALLENGE in order to challenge themselves to play better, smarter, etc.?

More than likely, Blizz will have BfA Pathfinder, just like the previous expansion Pathfinders. That should be enough for you. Heck, I don't even have Legion flying yet. I dreaded the long slog and procrastinated until recently, even though I love flying.

As for a big zone with no flying for BfA... There is no Argus flying. There is no Timeless Isle flying. Undoubtedly, there will be a flight-free zone in BFA too.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Only you can't, you have to at least play through all of that one time before flying is unlocked. It wasn't a fair trade either when you consider the rest of the zones are specifically designed to be as punishing as possible on the ground.

You call them punishing, I call the design interesting. I actually had to pay attention to where I was going. I don't consider that a bad thing. From my perspsective it was a very fair trade.

I will call it punishing because that's clearly the design choice. To make you run around as much as possible. There's nothing "immersive" or "interesting" about map designs that specifically prioritize making you run as much as possible within that area. Maps can be interesting and immersive despite that, but designing maps specifically around that instead of to be impressive without it being a consideration one way or the other, is a net loss, IMO of course.
02/07/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Jonathen
I'm willing to bet all these chuckleheads that want flying 100% gone use Flightpaths and the Whistle religiously. All these ways to help get us around faster is such a waste of dev time. Just enable flying and be done with it.

They know the better thing for the government and the people in need of defense, Medicare and Social Security is to pay their fair share back...

...but they would be financially stupid to not take advantage of every loophole possible, in order to make their company more appealing to investors.

Just like in this game.

If you’re competing, real or imagined, against other people for quests, gold, rares, xp, etc, then while it may be a better game experience to limit yourself to ground mounts and the like, it’s just foolish to do so when no one else is playing by those rules.

Limiting everyone’s ability to fly keeps the world populated and fun, as well as dangerous. Being on the ground when others choose to fly just makes it just as empty an experience as if your were flying...except now you’re lagging behind everyone else too.

If you are choosing to stay grounded in order to take in the world more and be immersed, why would you be even remotely interested in competing with other players? Why does your game play rest on what other people are doing? You can't just do your own thing?
02/07/2018 09:12 PMPosted by Verdre

Being that I only play on PvP servers, and people having the ability to just mount up and fly away instead of PvPing is just really boring to me and it's sad. Even when I lose in PvP at least I'm participating in it because I chose to play on a PvP server so that's what I expected, even if it's ganking.
02/07/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Daphmena
As for a big zone with no flying for BfA... There is no Argus flying. There is no Timeless Isle flying. Undoubtedly, there will be a flight-free zone in BFA too.

A lot of players also hate Argus for that very reason.

Alliance players in specific have moaned about their allied races being tied to it.

"Its not fair that Horde can fly from revered to exalted and we can't."
02/07/2018 03:59 PMPosted by Virus
How about you stay on the ground for the entire expansion if that's what turns you on?

Let others have a choice.

This x1000. Simple as that. If you disagree you are selfish.
Leveling my Highmountain Tauren with the new 7.3.5 changes made me realize how much immersion is enhanced by staying grounded. It forces me to plan my routes and keep an eye out on my enemies at all times. We got spoiled and used to killing something then mounting up to fly away to the next point.

That is NOT immersion.

I'd prefer to have massive new No-Fly zones with plenty of space to roam around in than a clustered zone with flying. Leveling and world quests could be fun again in BfA if flying was not introduced until the final patch of the expansion during the drought.

How would you improve the leveling experience?

Go back to your mommies basement and stop making fail posts. Your idea is lame.
Why stop at flying?

Lets get rid of flying and reduce ground mount speed by 60% of what it is now.

Lets make it so any damage at all is a guarantee dismount and daze.

Lets make half the zones no mount zones.

I mean that would be a lot more immersive and interesting right?
02/07/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Stroganoff
Why stop at flying?

how many people would not object to a ground based pathfinder? i mean if its good enough to limit flying mounts then surely they wouldn't oppose a similar method requiring it for ground based travel
That is NOT immersion
Someone used the MoP "I" word! He-who-shall-not-be-named and his death-eaters are back! The world cannot survive!

Seriously though, don't try to take something away from those that enjoy it just because you don't have the self control to not use something you claim is a bad thing. Bad Dobby!! BAD, BAD, BAD Dobby!!!
Your response is nothing but immature.

Calls other people immature yet responds with combative and dismissive one liners. Are we on 4chan now?
02/07/2018 09:36 PMPosted by Felboy
02/07/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Stroganoff
Why stop at flying?

how many people would not object to a ground based pathfinder? i mean if its good enough to limit flying mounts then surely they wouldn't oppose a similar method requiring it for ground based travel

Lets make pathfinder required to run, and you gotta walk before that.
02/07/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Jonathen

Just like in this game.

I'm not sure what game you're playing, but when everyone was grounded it didn't make the world feel more populated. People still used Flightpaths and the Whistle, effectively taking you out of your "immersion" and those players you did actually see, you didn't stop to talk to them, you weren't grouping up, and it damn sure wasn't dangerous. You did then what you do now in Argus. Run past everything to your objective, either kill or collect what you need or stand there waiting for a respawn with everyone else, not saying a word.

Now, before you go "WhAT AbOOT GroUp FinDERRRR?!?" It's no different than standing in the same place and random people walking up.

No, what you asking for is choice to be removed from the game. Something that should never be removed from a MMORPG. If other random people whom you never interact with are somehow ruining your gaming experience than I have to say this is a "you" issue.

Also, your analogy makes ZERO sense in this matter, so much so it's not even worth a rebuttal.