Pugs and kicking dps

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
02/03/2018 02:35 PMPosted by Ibeshufflin
I pugged Antorus the other day and here's the scoop: the raid leader was supposed to be a dps but he stayed in tank spec the entire time. His highest dps at any point was 410k. Obviously he's the lead so can't be kicked - I called him out several times but everyone started trash talking me because lol my 2mil single target isn't #1 parsing. I left because I didnt want to carry the lead anymore.

Point is, bad players get kicked, we know it. DPS doing 500k at 960ilvl, tanks not taunting, healers running around the room on Vari...well deserved. But sometimes even good players get kicked for calling out the mistakes of others. I've been kicked for saying "come on, let's go" because a "960 AOTC super fast speed run" group was spending 10 minutes between boss pulls just standing around. In my experience, those are usually the bad groups that kick the good players.

So yeah, you either get removed for sucking or because the rest of the group sucks. Keep pugging!

Was that Raid lead dps in tank spec a paladin? If so I was in that group with you haha. I sorta think your name was there but I don't know.
Haha, yep. He was so bad. The rest of the raid defended him and started trash talking me cause "shut up, it's just normals" - I'm aware of the difficulty, but accepting 400k dps is gonna take three times as long to clear the raid. I prefer fast farm since, you know, raid has been out for three months. Some people still are clueless in that place...
02/07/2018 04:43 AMPosted by Aeskir
02/06/2018 07:38 PMPosted by Sightblindër

Only if those people are worth the extra damage you're taking from everything. Someone doing 700k would do just enough dps to make up for the health the boss gains by them being there. So their damage is essentially a wash and you're taking more damage for nothing.

This is not always the case though. Some mechanics - particularly soaks, which blizzard are so fond of - become much easier with more people.

It's pretty much always been easier with a bigger raid group, so much so that it seems deliberate.

People prefer 2/3/9 mostly because it's easier to organise a smaller group, but the fights are generally easier with 30 people than they are with 15.

This is almost never true in a pug. 30 people just means more people tripping over themselves, and means it is FAR more likely someone will screw up plague, or cone/soulblight, or soulburst/bomb, or some other wipe the raid mechanic.

You're just still traumatized from KJ who was poorly tuned and didn't reduce the number of soaks appropriately with smaller groups. Even then, it was only a problem if you brought along a derp. Which would STILL happen in larger groups because they'd get out early after the big red circles exploded.
02/07/2018 07:55 PMPosted by Sightblindër
You're just still traumatized from KJ who was poorly tuned and didn't reduce the number of soaks appropriately with smaller groups. Even then, it was only a problem if you brought along a derp. Which would STILL happen in larger groups because they'd get out early after the big red circles exploded.

No, not really.

This has been true since WOTLK. A lot of mechanics like number of adds/soaks etc are not reduced for smaller groups, making them easier to deal with for larger groups.

Sure if you're bringing along extra people doing 0 dps/healing they are a drain on the group as a whole, but assuming they are around average, the encounter is going to be easier with more people.
02/07/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Aeskir
No, not really.

This has been true since WOTLK. A lot of mechanics like number of adds/soaks etc are not reduced for smaller groups, making them easier to deal with for larger groups.

Sure if you're bringing along extra people doing 0 dps/healing they are a drain on the group as a whole, but assuming they are around average, the encounter is going to be easier with more people.

For soak mechanics, yeah more people is better. But when you have binary pass/fail mechanics like Necrotic Embrace on Varimathras, smaller groups are far more likely to succeed simply because there are fewer people who can mess it up and cause a wipe. Also favoring small groups are fights where the encounter area is small or otherwise restricted due to mechanics (Fallen Avatar, Imonar, etc).

You average all the various fight types together and it turns out that a medium size group is ideal for the typical pug.