Account/Faction Wide Reputations

General Discussion
02/12/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Dream
Curious what people think about this.

In general, I hate rep grinds. I would rather do it once with one character than do it with each new main per cycle.
...it really is a bad idea.

Why? Thus far in this thread, NO ONE has provided any logical reason as to why faction-wide or even account-wide reputation would be BAD. A few have said they don't like it, but cannot provide any reason why it is bad or harmful to the game. Do you have a reason or are you just parroting the same nonsense without putting any thought whatsoever into this?

02/12/2018 11:57 PMPosted by Matcauthon
Yeah totally can't see this being abused ever.

How would anyone possibly "abuse" grinding a reputation? How is grinding the same reputation on multiple characters less abusive than grinding the reputation once for it to count on all characters on that faction? This doesn't even make sense.

02/13/2018 12:03 AMPosted by Matcauthon
or because it would totally trivialize reputation grinds which are supposed to take time anyway.

Reaching exalted is going to take the same amount of time whether I do it on one character or across several (if the reputation gains are shared across them). Reaching exalted right now across multiple characters DOES take more time, but for NO REASON WHATSOEVER for the countless reasons mentioned above.
02/13/2018 12:04 AMPosted by Funassassin
02/12/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Dream
are there many reasons why it simply wouldn't work?

Less play time. You get things done to quickly and you get bored and take a vacation, aka stop paying.

WoW isn't the first game to work the "Oooooo, something pretty! I must have it!" angle. They are currently, the worst.

So far, this is the ONLY response on this entire thread that has any remotely logical reason as to why account/faction-wide reputation would be "bad".

There is a possibility that some players would say, "Okay, I am exalted on one character, so I get all of the transmog rewards on all of my characters...time for a break from WoW, nothing to do!"

However, I would argue that this is not terribly realistic because the reputation rewards are minor, at best, and mostly for transmog purposes, which means that few if any players are seriously sitting there re-grinding the same reputation across multiple characters just for a particular bracer transmog that the Ashen Verdict has or something. Few if any players are basing their ongoing subscriptions on grinding more reputations.

I would argue, in fact, that players are more likely to KEEP PLAYING WoW if reputation grinds only need to be completed once per faction/account, because then those players will have the possibility of playing alts without feeling like they "must" keep playing their mains on whom they received the rewards (and, with Legion reputations, can keep grinding at exalted for special rewards). I would argue that people who feel "forced" to stick to their mains because grinding reputations, etc. on an alt takes forever are more likely to burn out and quit playing WoW because they rarely if ever try out a different class, build, etc. and thus reinvigorate their gaming experience.
02/13/2018 12:08 AMPosted by Anashera
...it really is a bad idea.

Why? Thus far in this thread, NO ONE has provided any logical reason as to why faction-wide or even account-wide reputation would be BAD. A few have said they don't like it, but cannot provide any reason why it is bad or harmful to the game. Do you have a reason or are you just parroting the same nonsense without putting any thought whatsoever into this?

02/12/2018 11:57 PMPosted by Matcauthon
Yeah totally can't see this being abused ever.

How would anyone possibly "abuse" grinding a reputation? How is grinding the same reputation on multiple characters less abusive than grinding the reputation once for it to count on all characters on that faction? This doesn't even make sense.

02/13/2018 12:03 AMPosted by Matcauthon
or because it would totally trivialize reputation grinds which are supposed to take time anyway.

Reaching exalted is going to take the same amount of time whether I do it on one character or across several (if the reputation gains are shared across them). Reaching exalted right now across multiple characters DOES take more time, but for NO REASON WHATSOEVER for the countless reasons mentioned above.

Let's see. How is it abuseable?
Let's take argus as a good example.
Pick a toon go do the story and all active world quests. Get roughly into honored. Time invested ~3 hours.

Do that again on another toon and get revered, because reputation is shared. Twice more and you're exalted. You just took a 3 to 4 week long grind and made it take 3 days tops.

And don't get me started on paragon.

Again argus. Go do your dailies and your weekly quests on Tuesday on 4 toons and you just got a guaranteed paragon cache for 2 different factions.
I'd like to see exalted reps be shared.

we already share the mounts, pets and transmog that comes from getting a rep to exalted, this just feels like a logical step.
Account-Wide Reps should totally be a thing. I get that some people think that each character should earn his or her own rep, but look at it this way.

Today, I'm a person running around and earning reputation in my "Gnome" outfit. Tomorrow, I'm gonna run around earning rep in my "Human" outfit.
The day after tomorrow, I'm gonna run around earning rep in my "Night Elf" outfit.

Each day, I wear a different outfit, looking to other players like different people/races... but it's still ME doing all the work. WoW has lots of achievements that are account-wide. There's no reason why rep can't be the same. Otherwise, why have account-bound items that can be sent to a toon who didn't "earn" the item itself?
02/13/2018 12:38 AMPosted by Wayn

we already share the mounts, pets and transmog that comes from getting a rep to exalted, this just feels like a logical step.

This is how I feel as well. It isn't for any "extra" reward, would just allow my characters to feel more complete, and show overall progress.
02/13/2018 12:28 AMPosted by Matcauthon
Pick a toon go do the story and all active world quests. Get roughly into honored. Time invested ~3 hours.

Do that again on another toon and get revered, because reputation is shared. Twice more and you're exalted. You just took a 3 to 4 week long grind and made it take 3 days tops.

To a point, this is a good argument. Yes, this change would make reaching exalted in current content simpler. But it's arguably NOT faster in terms of actual time played, because that 3-4 week long grind is really just a time-gated series of world quests. If the world quests functioned like the previous expansions' reputation grinds (meaning, you could grind them 24/7---and which is something plenty of players want, apparently), then this would be no issue whatsoever anyway. Those 3-4 "weeks" of grinding are not REALLY 3-4 weeks. They are REALLY more like a few hours of doing world quests---the only problem being that the daily world quests are just so few.

Easy solution that Blizzard could do if they want to prevent this: just share world quests among all characters, so players cannot complete the same world quests over and over on different characters.

But there is an even more apparent "solution" to this seeming issue: Legion is basically over. Nobody cares about Legion reputations except for getting allied races (cosmetic) and various mounts and such (also cosmetic).

The next expansion can, and arguably should, function in a different format so that reputations are not time-gated behind world quests. So there is nothing preventing Blizzard from making reputation account/faction-wide and doing it right without allowing it to be abused.

Again argus. Go do your dailies and your weekly quests on Tuesday on 4 toons and you just got a guaranteed paragon cache for 2 different factions.

You can do the same thing already by just having tons of alts who have maxed out exalted with a faction. I would argue that the current situation is WORSE because it ensures that ONLY the players who have tons and tons of free time can achieve multiple paragon caches, whereas if reputation were faction-wide, then more players with less free time could remain "competitive" in this sense.

But again, the paragon caches are largely cosmetic rewards anyway, AND we're at the end of this expansion, so it's not like we're having to worry about more players becoming wildly powerful.
So with the abuse of gated content point of view, maybe it would just make sense for it to be available to previous expansion content?

That way it really wouldn't matter what sort of reward came from opening up a certain faction to exalted, and still encourage a "main" character to push through the most recent daily quests or grinds.
02/13/2018 12:28 AMPosted by Matcauthon

To a point, this is a good argument. Yes, this change would make reaching exalted in current content simpler. But it's arguably NOT faster in terms of actual time played, because that 3-4 week long grind is really just a time-gated series of world quests. If the world quests functioned like the previous expansions' reputation grinds (meaning, you could grind them 24/7---and which is something plenty of players want, apparently), then this would be no issue whatsoever anyway. Those 3-4 "weeks" of grinding are not REALLY 3-4 weeks. They are REALLY more like a few hours of doing world quests---the only problem being that the daily world quests are just so few.

Easy solution that Blizzard could do if they want to prevent this: just share world quests among all characters, so players cannot complete the same world quests over and over on different characters.

But there is an even more apparent "solution" to this seeming issue: Legion is basically over. Nobody cares about Legion reputations except for getting allied races (cosmetic) and various mounts and such (also cosmetic).

The next expansion can, and arguably should, function in a different format so that reputations are not time-gated behind world quests. So there is nothing preventing Blizzard from making reputation account/faction-wide and doing it right without allowing it to be abused.

You can do the same thing already by just having tons of alts who have maxed out exalted with a faction. I would argue that the current situation is WORSE because it ensures that ONLY the players who have tons and tons of free time can achieve multiple paragon caches, whereas if reputation were faction-wide, then more players with less free time could remain "competitive" in this sense.

But again, the paragon caches are largely cosmetic rewards anyway, AND we're at the end of this expansion, so it's not like we're having to worry about more players becoming wildly powerful.

Blizzard went away from endless rep grinds for a reason. Player feed back. And by sharing world quests you only take away part of the issue. There is still rep in the storyline.

The only way I would even condone this is something that's not even account sharing. Get exalted on a character and your account is flagged and basically any character can buy non progression oriented items from that vendor (ie no gear. You can buy toys, mounts and profession recipes though.

And no. The person with alts is still putting in the time on each character therefore it's understandable they get more rewards like that. And not nearly the same be cause that person still has to get the alts to exalted. Your system is infinitely more abuseable.
02/13/2018 12:50 AMPosted by Matcauthon
Get exalted on a character and your account is flagged and basically any character can buy non progression oriented items from that vendor (ie no gear. You can buy toys, mounts and profession recipes though.

Blizzard has not been gating gear behind reputation anymore anyway, so any gear (which would be cosmetic) should also be available. ALL rewards should be available if a player has reached exalted with that faction before.

Now if you wish to still have story-lines gated behind reputation (like the Nightborne), then I think that's just silly and unnecessary. Just gate the story-lines behind quests as usual. Instead of demanding certain amounts of reputation be reached, just demand certain numbers of world quests completed (basically the same thing, but ensures that reputation is STILL counted as "exalted" from reaching exalted before with another character).

So, I see no issue with what you are saying here, and it doesn't sound like you see any issue with what I'm saying, either.

The simple solution for Blizzard would be to make reputation account/faction-wide, but no longer gate content and story-lines behind reputation. Rather, gate content and stories behind completion of certain tasks---quests, particular numbers of world quests, or preferably something entirely more interesting altogether.

Also, keep in mind that plenty of players do not like "gated" content at all, and would prefer if everything is available to play and engage in whenever they wish. See countless other threads for examples of this. But that's another topic altogether; I personally do not mind "gated" story-lines, but find it to be incredibly stupid to gate stories behind reputation (as was the case with a part of the Nightborne story).
02/13/2018 12:59 AMPosted by Anashera
02/13/2018 12:50 AMPosted by Matcauthon
Get exalted on a character and your account is flagged and basically any character can buy non progression oriented items from that vendor (ie no gear. You can buy toys, mounts and profession recipes though.

Blizzard has not been gating gear behind reputation anymore anyway, so any gear (which would be cosmetic) should also be available. ALL rewards should be available if a player has reached exalted with that faction before.

Now if you wish to still have story-lines gated behind reputation (like the Nightborne), then I think that's just silly and unnecessary. Just gate the story-lines behind quests as usual. Instead of demanding certain amounts of reputation be reached, just demand certain numbers of world quests completed (basically the same thing, but ensures that reputation is STILL counted as "exalted" from reaching exalted before with another character).

So, I see no issue with what you are saying here, and it doesn't sound like you see any issue with what I'm saying, either.

The simple solution for Blizzard would be to make reputation account/faction-wide, but no longer gate content and story-lines behind reputation. Rather, gate content and stories behind completion of certain tasks---quests, particular numbers of world quests, or preferably something entirely more interesting altogether.

Also, keep in mind that plenty of players do not like "gated" content at all, and would prefer if everything is available to play and engage in whenever they wish. See countless other threads for examples of this. But that's another topic altogether; I personally do not mind "gated" story-lines, but find it to be incredibly stupid to gate stories behind reputation (as was the case with a part of the Nightborne story).
this game has gated content since day 1. You're in the wrong genre if you don't want gating.

Wanna raid? Sorry first you have to level and then you have to gear up to do heroic dungeons and then do heroic dungeons to raid.

But wait. That only gets you to normal and may be heroic. Wanna do mythic raiding? Better geat up in normal and heroic first.
02/13/2018 01:11 AMPosted by Matcauthon
this game has gated content since day 1. You're in the wrong genre if you don't want gating.

Wanna raid? Sorry first you have to level and then you have to gear up to do heroic dungeons and then do heroic dungeons to raid.

But wait. That only gets you to normal and may be heroic. Wanna do mythic raiding? Better geat up in normal and heroic first.

I don't disagree, but gating in general is a different topic altogether for another thread.
02/12/2018 10:26 PMPosted by Ciyra
Why?

All they will do is balance rep gains based around having 14 alts on the same server farming rep every day.

The time gate is the problem, not the rep gains.

As well all unlocks from rep are purely cosmetic anyway.

It's ridiculous that because I mained my priest in the past I have to continue to main my priest to get the "x exalted reputations" achievement. Being tied to one character is unfun no matter how they do it.
02/13/2018 12:38 AMPosted by Wayn

This isn't true for transmog btw. If I want to transmogthe Silver Covenant tabard to my toon, I have to be exalted with them. This is the same for profession items as well. It's an unfun concept that shouldn't exist.
02/13/2018 01:16 AMPosted by Braedin
02/12/2018 10:26 PMPosted by Ciyra
Why?

All they will do is balance rep gains based around having 14 alts on the same server farming rep every day.

The time gate is the problem, not the rep gains.

As well all unlocks from rep are purely cosmetic anyway.

It's ridiculous that because I mained my priest in the past I have to continue to main my priest to get the "x exalted reputations" achievement. Being tied to one character is unfun no matter how they do it.

Yeah, all of my exalted reputations are spread between 3 characters, which is kinda maddening to me now. Have most things finished, but nothing finished on all, and am finally wasting the time going through to do things all over again on one character. If I don't enjoy that character next expansion I am entirely out of luck, and wasted a good bit of time for absolutely no reason.

Hopefully this can come to pass in such a way that it does not hinder current gameplay. Really just don't want to regrind pointless reputations.
02/12/2018 10:03 PMPosted by Anashera
The gold your character earned is your character's, not YOURS, and your character doesn't know your OTHER characters, so your character shouldn't be able to mail or otherwise share gold to your other characters.
What a horrible counter argument. It doesn't even make sense. The gold isn't shared across your account. You have to actually mail it, or if you have a personal guild, put it in the guild bank. I can't hop from Paprika to Minipint and use the gold on Paprika to buy Minipint's stuff.

As for your characters not knowing each other, your own example proves why reputations should be character-based, not account based. The NPCs know Paprika, they don't know Minipint. Paprika has proven herself. Minipint just strolled in off the street.

By the way, our characters don't know the strangers we buy and sell to, so by your logic, we shouldn't be able to trade gold for gear with other players. herpderp
02/13/2018 01:24 AMPosted by Dream

Hopefully this can come to pass in such a way that it does not hinder current gameplay. Really just don't want to regrind pointless reputations.

If they are pointless then why the heck do you even care if they are account wide.

Why don't you just admit it, you want the rewards for every character without putting in the work on every character.

I am not sure why you people can't see if blizzard ever did this, they would also adjust the rewards and also probably make the reps 5 times harder to get and you would be absolutely no farther ahead.
I would rather have account wide rep.

Since we have account wide titles, then account wide rep should be a no brainer.

02/13/2018 01:33 AMPosted by Paprîka
The NPCs know Paprika, they don't know Minipint. Paprika has proven herself. Minipint just strolled in off the street.

Paprika left word that Minipint is to be trusted, and please bestow the benefits of Paprika's reputation upon Minipint.
It's all good, because Minipint can run around with the "Wakener" title, even though Minipint has never seen a frikkin' mantid in her lifetime.
02/13/2018 01:37 AMPosted by Bertane
02/13/2018 01:24 AMPosted by Dream

If they are pointless then why the heck do you even care if they are account wide.

Why don't you just admit it, you want the rewards for every character without putting in the work on every character.

I am not sure why you people can't see if blizzard ever did this, they would also adjust the rewards and also probably make the reps 5 times harder to get and you would be absolutely no farther ahead.

I already stated several times i am uninterested in these so called rewards you are going on about. I simply wish to open the faction tab on any character, and work toward "x" faction with whatever suits my fancy for the time.

Leveling something new? Fantastic, I need "x" rep so I'll equip the tabard and do some dungeons, or maybe do quests in that zone.

Account wide transmog, titles and mounts, but you are saying I want some reward? What are you even talking about?