Calling All Ferals!

Druid
What's up, fellow Cat people!

I've been browsing numerous sites and forums, trying to get a straight answer on which Relic's I should be using. As of right now my relics are leaning toward the increased damage for Rip. But, after analyzing my logs last night, I started to realize that Rip does a fairly insignificant amount of damage after the nerf, even with the Relic's backing it up.

What I'm wondering, now, is if anybody else has considered changing Relics over to either Shred or Ferocious Bite, instead of Rip/Rake. On almost any given fight, Shred/FB attribute to nearly 20% of my overall damage, each (other than AoE heavy fights), whereas Rip/Rake are coming up short around 8-12% of my overall damage.

Background: On Single Target fights, I can average between 1.9m-2.1mil and AoE fights are anywhere between 2.1mil-2.6mil at 961 ilevel Equipped with 2 Relics into Rip (940/970) and 1 into Rake (985).

Let me know your thoughts!
Bis relics are the ones that increase dmg during berserk.
The rake relic increases rake damage by 6% per trait.

The rip relic increases rip damage by 4% per trait.

The ferocious bite relic increases critical strike damage by 7% per trait. Keep in mind that base critical strike rate is 200% damage, and going from 200% to 207% is only a 3.5% increase to damage done... and you only crit around half the time with FB, so the effective damage increase to ferocious bite is closer to 1.75% per trait.

The Shred relic looks a lot better at first glance due to it giving 5% crit chance per trait... except that between crit on your gear and 4 ranks without relics, you're probably already at 50%+ crit chance on shred, which means when using Incarnation you already have 100% crit chance. This makes the trait a lot worse than it seems.

Point is, even though your DoTs do less of your damage, the relic traits for Rip and Rake give a much larger bonus to their abilities than the Shred and FB traits.

EDIT: Also, when looking at Rip damage in your logs, don't forget to add in "Ashamane's Rip" damage, as the trait also effects that.
Rake, Rip, and Berserk are all really good, and very close to one another.
Technically the Swipe trait is BiS on AOE fights, but unless you run BrS all the time, has no value on ST, and still has less value on ST than those other 3.
There is a pretty good guide on Icy Veins that has each relic trait as weapon item level, so you can compare. Rake comes in at 6, Rip and Serk come in at 5. Shred at 4. Torment the Weak is the best secondary at 8, and so on.
Berserk/Incarn relic is probably the best of the 3 bis relics. Especially if you can get a high enough ilvl CoF trinket and can actually get a 3rd Incarn in during an encounter.

If you can get all 3 of your relics to have a combination of Incarn, Rip & Rake on the top and bottom then you’re golden.
01/31/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Hooraka

The ferocious bite relic increases critical strike damage by 7% per trait. Keep in mind that base critical strike rate is 200% damage, and going from 200% to 207% is only a 3.5% increase to damage done... and you only crit around half the time with FB, so the effective damage increase to ferocious bite is closer to 1.75% per trait.

The Shred relic looks a lot better at first glance due to it giving 5% crit chance per trait... except that between crit on your gear and 4 ranks without relics, you're probably already at 50%+ crit chance on shred, which means when using Incarnation you already have 100% crit chance. This makes the trait a lot worse than it seems.

Looking at it from a percentage base, I can see how Rip/Rake would look better than FB, the way you've broken it down. But from the logs that I'm looking at...

(H Garothi)
Shred: 84.36m Damage
F. Bite: 63.15m Damage
B. Slash: 55.79m Damage
Rake: 37.92m Damage (96% Uptime)
Rip: 35.39m Damage (96% Uptime)

Ferocious Bite relics might only increase FB damage by 1.75% per relic, as you stated.. But 1.75% of ~63mil is greater than 4% of ~35mil. By roughly 70,000 damage overall. And that's only because I have 2 Rip Relics. Otherwise, that Rip number would be an additional 8% lower, as I have 2 Rip relics. It might be a higher damage increase at a percentile standpoint, but in terms of overall damage, it doesn't seem like the best option.

>> I am not a math wizard. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Though, the Berserk/Incarn Relics are looking more appealing, now that several people have mentioned them.
FB is up there spicypretzel, but it's a tad more RNG reliant. The others are more consistent.
My relics were 3 in rake 3 in rip, I got lucky drops the last couple weeks to both up ilvl and give 2 BrS, 2 FB, 2 rip as my relic loadout. I can notice the increase in BrS and FB both aoe(esp aoe :D ), and single target.