Bring Back the Old Divine Storm Animation

Paladin
This will truly bring me back to the game. Will ret and only ret. The current divine storm animation is so so bad.
07/24/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Alexandor
lol, I don’t know about dinkies, but I wholly agree that the old Divine Storm should be brought back. It was literally better in every way, from how it looked to how it functioned.

1 dinky = 1 respect
07/24/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Flipazoid
This will truly bring me back to the game. Will ret and only ret. The current divine storm animation is so so bad.
bump
I would like cooler spell animations too.

We dont even spin when we cast it :(
08/06/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Rip
I would like cooler spell animations too.

We dont even spin when we cast it :(

yeah!
https://youtu.be/RrTCJ7t7dDU?t=2m24s

Mute the video if you want, but look at how much cleaner the rotation for Ret was. It looked so much better.

From a gameplay point of view, there's also so much downtime if you use your holy power as efficiently as possible right now. I often find myself awkwardly waiting on a couple of auto attacks (which have been worthless since Legion) until I can mash buttons again to gain combo points. Although if you did spam every ability, you would have a similar downtime of just an auto attack, an auto attack would mean something in terms of damage and healing/mana regeneration depending on which type of judgment you used (judgment of light, judgment of wisdom).

Sure, the auto attacks now give you a proc on that weird blade thing that comes out of the ground, but still. The weight of an auto attack for 2h melee classes has gone down significantly.
Champion Daramir (Horde warfront NPC) has the WoD version of Divine Storm in his kit. Why do the NPCs have it, and why is it still in the game?
I loved the old divine storm partly because the effect had a longer duration and partly because we got more damage from when the mastery hit. It meant if there was a pack of 5 mobs, 5 big numbers would show up then ANOTHER 5 more. Regardless of the damage it was such a satisfying button to press haha
oop posting in a necro'd thread. i agree though.

Wrath of the Lich King in general really had the best spell effects (except the update to Mind Flay, which was bad, and Windfury's change in BC was also bad). A lot of those spell effects were really particle heavy though and got significantly reduced in Cata. They still were the best tho.. and those animations are 10 years old now. Why are the new animations just so.. bland in comparison when the tech we have now is insanely better than what we had in Wrath?
Just a druid popping by saying I like the old animation too =)
Hammers are stupid model. Makes me feel like a 10 year old picked the image for my classes defining AoE ability thanks! Rather the awful consecrate animation than this.
09/25/2018 03:34 PMPosted by Impsie
oop posting in a necro'd thread. i agree though.

Wrath of the Lich King in general really had the best spell effects (except the update to Mind Flay, which was bad, and Windfury's change in BC was also bad). A lot of those spell effects were really particle heavy though and got significantly reduced in Cata. They still were the best tho.. and those animations are 10 years old now. Why are the new animations just so.. bland in comparison when the tech we have now is insanely better than what we had in Wrath?

#BUMP

I know. Shouldn't animations get more elaborate as computer technology improves? Shouldn't we have some progression in talent trees or other media like glyphs or artifact abilities that feel like we are getting stronger or upgrading our power in the game? The experience of World of Warcraft probably needed to be more casual down the line, seeing as an aging population simply wouldn't have enough time to play the game. 10 years is a long time for a game to still have millions of active users, which is still only a fraction of WoW's lifetime. The game itself, like many other games out right now, are fast-paced and more casual-player-friendly. Therefore the feedback of the gameplay needs to be quick and rewarding. The best example is the leveling process, which got out of hand to the point where Blizzard had to fix it (and they took the scaling approach).

How would this fact affect animations? Focusing on gameplay first, instead of having a system where you could focus on one character (your main), each class has a homogenized play style. It's rewarding when you have something to charge up and then expel--Soul Shards, Holy Power, Maelstrom, Focus, DH Fury, and many more. This is why each DPS in the game plays like a rogue/warrior hybrid now. Every ramp up needs to be kind of boring intentionally so that players feel better about the payoff of a bigger ability. Essentially, when you laterally apply that to each class, it makes it so that everyone can experience new classes AND not have to worry about learning a completely new play style. So then it would follow that every animation that you spend your rage/combo points in is concise in order to make the process of building up to it worthwhile.

Crusader Strike, Crusader Strike, Judgment, Templar's Verdict/Divine Storm.
Frost Bolt, Frost Bolt, Frost Bolt, Frost Bolt, Frost Bolt, Glacial Spike, Flurry, Ice Lance.
Demon's Bite, Demon's Bite, Demon's Bite, Chaos Strike/Blade Dance.

You are collecting power, then releasing the stored energy out into the target. Animations have to be suited in a way that complements the new gameplay.
AHHH!