Strange Combinations

Wyrmrest Accord
Greetings! It is I, your friendly Lightforged shadow priest!

I made this character on a bit of a lark after I realized I couldn't go with my original plan of Lightforged monk and Void Elf shadow priest, and the occasional amused comments have piqued my curiosity on unusual spec/race combinations. Obviously the lack of spec restriction for certain odd pairings can be explained as mostly a gameplay mechanic, but Blizzard has gone out of their way to legitimize these pairings before as possible, if rare, such as the case of the undead holy priest.

The two new Alliance races as priests are the newest example of this, with Lightforged being able to play as Shadow and Void Elves being able to play as Holy. To a lesser extent this extends to Void Elf monks - monks are primarily portrayed as utilizing some sort of life energy, which would seem to be at somewhat odds with every void creature going on about hungering for and consuming life.

So! With that said, how do you handle these odd edge cases in your RP / headcanon? Do you dismiss it as purely gameplay? Do you just ignore it? Or do you have some sort of personal reasoning as to the how and why certain races can or would utilize abilities that seem counter to their nature?

Inquiring goats want to know.
I like to remember that magic is never limited by cultural aptitude, but by willingness to use it. If the Undead can still manage to use Holy, there's nothing saying a Void Elf can't, as well.
Holy Void Elf reporting in. I don't even have a single point of artifact power in my Discipline and Shadow artifacts.
I like unusual race/class combos because they challenge you to really think about how that race views that line of work, and how that class's canonical order views that particular race.

Blood Elves make for unlikely monks. Recent decades have taught them to be driven and forced them to remain unsatisfied - due to addiction and a lessened quality of life all-around. The Pandaren value contentment, which sounds nice but ultimately unambitious. Pursuing the obvious power a monk wields while finding that inner serenity is a blatant paradox to a Blood Elf character. Then make Void stuff happen and all of these things get turned up to eleven.

Buddhist meditation, at least as far as I understand it as a casual reader on the topic, seems pretty useful for someone hearing Whispers. One of its first lessons is that the constant inner monologue we all have isn't really us and that we don't have to be ruled by it, so intrusive thoughts are less of a threat. On the other hand, serious practitioners come to question the entire concept of Self. Since recognizing oneself seems to be key to controlling the Void (if Alleria is any indication) then this aspect is actually pretty Bad News, and a Void Elf monk needs to figure out a solution.

That solution could stem from monkish teachings, or from their Sin'dorei background, or the life that they build as an exile/repatriated Alliance, or whatever other strands make up the character. I like that sort of scenario because the outcome will almost definitely surprise me.
iirc female dwarf monks are still the rarest combo followed by female taurens.

Make more dwarfs, people.
02/03/2018 09:47 PMPosted by Serph

People don't know what they're missing in the way of face-punching.
mistweaver is legit one of the most chill and relaxing classes in the game and owns to heal with. Highly recommend some dorf women misters
02/03/2018 11:20 PMPosted by Atiroy

People don't know what they're missing in the way of face-punching.

That was meant to be on Gurda. I stink.
We're a pretty rare sight in Acherus, too.

You know what Dwarves, especially Bronzebeards, really value? Being a good and reliable friend. You know what makes you a bad friend? Coming back from the dead and busting into your buddy's house all axe-crazy. You know what else makes you a bad friend? Ditching your fellow Knights, your siblings in death.

Living the Dwarf (Un)Life ain't easy.
Not sure how abnormal it is or not but my warlock is a nightborne. I figure they may have distaste towards fel users/magic/demons after everything but hey someone has to be on the other side collecting information to fight fel fire with fel fire..

[dabs]
I actually plan to make a Lightforged Shadow Priest too! Got to unlock them first still. Will give me an excuse to play with Alliance for once.
02/03/2018 08:50 PMPosted by Jasynia
Holy Void Elf reporting in. I don't even have a single point of artifact power in my Discipline and Shadow artifacts.

02/04/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Dawnsky
I actually plan to make a Lightforged Shadow Priest too! Got to unlock them first still. Will give me an excuse to play with Alliance for once.

What's your story for them?
I used to be a female dwarf monk, until i took a void in the groin.