Why are warriors the most played class?

Classic Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
I do not get why more people play them over hunters, mages, and rogues.

-hardest to level
-worst 1v1 class
-most gear dependent
-very hard to get gear/raid spot as a dps warrior
-need a pocket healer in Pvp
-easiest class to gank in pvp servers(think that mob your fighting is hard enough? Now imagine that while another player ganks you)

All the other classes literally have none of these issues and yet most people choose warrior.

I’m not hating on the class, I know it’s a very rewarding for warriors to reach end game but I can’t understand why most people would put up with the factors above.
Did a bit of research on this because I was very curious. In original Vanilla the most popular class with out a doubt was Hunter. The most popular combinations were Nelf / Orc Hunters. They were extremely popular in Original Vanilla.

Speculation indicates Warrior is popular on private realms because of hype and misplaced glory. Every player wants to feel powerful, and ancient youtube videos do a lot to feed that fire. Warrior PVP always looks great on video, unlike most other classes. After all who wants to watch a hunter 1 and 2 shot cloth classes at 30 yards? Oh you did not know hunters could 2 shot cloth? Yeah, we were a bit nutty in PVP, most clothies were doomed.
02/05/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Sanathran

-hardest to level
-worst 1v1 class
-most gear dependent
-easiest class to gank in pvp servers(think that mob your fighting is hard enough? Now imagine that while another player ganks you)

All the other classes literally have none of these issues and yet most people choose warrior.

I’m not hating on the class, I know it’s a very rewarding for warriors to reach end game but I can’t understand why most people would put up with the factors above.
sorry warriors in my experience were one of the best 1v1 classes in the game . sure a pocket healer helped in pvp and if you had one you were unstoppable.
gearing dps wasnt hard if you raided and did dungeons. just like any other class.
the leveling part was painful but so were rogues leveling.
warriors were also the most successful "hybrid" in the game.
dps spots in raid were when you werent off tanking something. you could also tank in dps spec the whole of vanilla. dps was just a switch of gear away. hell you could dps mid charts in set gear.
warriors were awesome. cant wait to play one again.
Warrior was the very first class I rolled - a male tauren. When I played Guild Wars, the first character I made was a Warrior/Hunter (they all take a main class and second class).

Why?

Base familiarity with the concept going back to my AD&D days in the 80s. They are the simple hack and slash style with enough armor to deal with mobs that inevitably are going to be coming at you. Spells have to be figured out and usually have some component or cost to track. Skills are easier to jump in and just use, then learn finesse after.

Over time I've rolled many a warrior in WOW. I like Plate gear design better than most other. I like the rage mechanic. I like the simplicity of swinging weapons over standing around casting. (And yet I mained a priest, I know, though my raid main in Wrath until I burned out was MT warrior.)
-worst 1v1 class

Somone's never been CMSd by a R14 arms war
They are op and do the most damage.
02/05/2018 04:40 PMPosted by Millelia
They are op and do the most damage.

You may be surprised to find out that's not true. Its only the perception of your falsified reality.
every single warrior spec is top tier for something
Well tbh I didn't spend tons of time at 60 in vanilla, but it was comon knowledge that wars scale the best with gear (so at 60 they scaled hard af)

And I guess wars used stuff like free action potions and had friendly pocket healers to cleanse in pvp which countered their greatest weakness
Because they weren't good enough to be holy warriors.

Paladin best class
Warriors are one of the "iconic" fantasy classes, so of course they would have lots of players.

Also back in Vanilla, Blizzard had an interesting take on DPS:

• Pure DPS - these were classes who could only dps and had no option to tank or heal. Blizzard was concerned people wouldn't play pure dps classes if hybrid classes could do equally as well. As such, the pure dps classes (rogues, hunters, mages, warlocks) all were capable of much higher dps than the other classes.
  • Hybrid DPS - everyone else. All the classes that could tank or heal in addition to dps.
  • Exception: Warriors. However, Blizzard had ONE exception to this rule: Warriors. By design, Blizzard intentionally gave warriors DPS output that was in the same level as the pure DPS.
Not surprisingly, Warriors were incredibly popular in vanilla.
  • Iconic fantasy class
  • Best tank in the game
  • Only hybrid capable of competing with pure dps for dps output.
  • Available to both factions (unlike paladins and shamans)
02/05/2018 04:50 PMPosted by Tribtwo
every single warrior spec is top tier for something

I don't remember this being the case at all. I remember as the op says, hunters being the most popular, but warriors (let alone a GOOD warrior) being rare as hell. And that's definitely not because they're a difficult class. I think the problem is most, by a large margin, of the private servers run the final vanilla patch for balance and just release content on the patch cycle. So 1.12 warriors may be The best of the best, but I know for a fact that it was not the case for most of vanilla.
Only "hybrid" (can fill more than one role) that can do top-tier raid dps.

Biggest threat in PvP when paired with pocket healer.

Each spec excels to a high degree in at least one area.

Scales extremely well with gear.

Can wear anything and use any weapon other than wands and relics.

Not as hard to level as people say.
Is it possible that they might have played for fun? I dunno, just a thought.
mage 4 life.

although i might roll a tank for poops and giggles. this way, I can do an instances when I want to.
I see nothing but mage/priest/paladin on the private server I am trying out, I am a warrior.

You are correct they are a nightmare to level, and require a lot of gear. However, once you hit 60 and get that gear, they are #1 dps and #1 most deadly class when paired with heals. Its a team focused game, I don't even think about 1v1.

-hardest to level
-worst 1v1 class
-most gear dependent

You're not wrong, but you're thinking about it in the early game. Warrior is the worst class in the game early on, and the best class at the endgame. The reason is because warrior scaled very well with itemization, and had a tremendously high skill ceiling because of stance dancing. A warrior with bad gear was squishy and couldn't burst someone through heals and defensives. A warrior with good gear two shot people. A warrior that couldn't stance dance was squishy. A warrior that could stance dance well was pretty hard to kill.

It's also because of the type of content Vanilla offered. Vanilla encounters were not carefully crafted and scripted for balanced groups. Often times they required a lot of tanks or a lot of ranged or whatever. Warrior was the only real tank, and a warrior specced to tank was really just an arms warrior with a few skills in prot. The fact that your off-tanks are still like 90 percent of a DPS is important in encounters where a lot of the difficulty is just the raw numbers and strength of the mob, as opposed to mechanics.

In PvP, it was objectively the best class when played at a high level. The philosophy behind warriors was they weren't self-sufficient, so they had better brute force and a really flexible combat toolset, but they locked the toolset up to force you to do one thing at a time. This ultimately did not work out the way they imagined. The brute force scaled ridiculously with gear, and the toolset actually didn't have the limitation they intended if you mastered stance dancing. When people got good at it, they found that warrior had an overabundance of utility. You've got fear into first aid, berserk to counter fear, sap, gouge, disarming rogues, pulling people out of stealth with shouts, debuffing enemy healing, dead zone melee kiting with piercing howl, swapping into tank-lite at will, zipping around the battlefield using stance charges, just to name a few, all while being able to two-shot squishies. With a pocket healer, it's a free win even if the warrior is terrible but just has good gear.

At the start of Vanilla, the consensus was that warriors were terrible. Then comes Arcanite Reaper, people learning to stance dance, and people learning about all the crazy offensive utility you could get with stance dancing. Then there are a bunch of weird Vanilla collision tricks like dancing in the blind spot and breaking cast by LoSing through the hitbox that I won't go into here. Point is, warrior is garbage at the start, but got progressively better as the game went on, to the point that they were crazy OP by the end.

Pretty far off with this one.

40 mans run 2-3 prot warriors ideally, and 6 (minimal)-9 fury warriors.

Where as a restro druid, ideally you have 2 to 3.

Hunters 3 alli, 4 horde if you want all melee groups to have TSA.

So while there may be 4 times as many fury warriors as driuds, the ratio of need is still the same.

I would argue that finding a dedicated tanking spot in a guild is much harder than a dedicated fury spot. Rogues also have a harder time than fury warrior due to not being able to swap into a tank role when needed and may only have 3-4 slots for them in raid - adjusted to more if you have fewer fury warriors.

But if you get the same dps performance from a fury vs a rogue for a raid slot, the fury warrior has more upside.
02/05/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Fientalton
Well tbh I didn't spend tons of time at 60 in vanilla, but it was comon knowledge that wars scale the best with gear (so at 60 they scaled hard af)

And I guess wars used stuff like free action potions and had friendly pocket healers to cleanse in pvp which countered their greatest weakness

Like most dps specs even if they did a ton of dps that wouldn't mean a whole lot due to threat mechanics. Rogues and hunters could do less dps (they often could do more) than a warrior could do far more damage because they could dump their threat.
Best at PvE
Best at PvP
thats why :)