[Serious] Why is lock picking in the game?

General Discussion
Why?
to pick locks.
Because its a fantasy RPG.

Or it used to be.

Rogues also used to disarm traps, but that was pruned, for, reasons????
Rogues would be out of a job.
At least we don't have to grind it up by picking locks on junkboxes anymore. These days all you need to do is find a max level Rogue, or level one.
used to have to train lockpick levels as well
Once upon a time, a skilled rogue or engineer could open that dungeon treasure chest for you. Now, lock picking opens lock boxes for you and that's pretty much all its used for these days. Sadly, it was back before all the pruning when we were closer to having an rpg with class roles. That's been seriously toned down these days.
What do rogues and noobs have in common?

They both pick locks.
used to be a perk to open locked chests and bypass gates. For example you needed a key to get into the Scarlet Cathedral but if you had a rogue in the group you could picklock it instead. There used to be locked chests in dungeons you had to picklock to open.
Lockboxes used to be more valuable. I remember when people would actually whisper me to open them.

Nowadays picklocking is pretty pointless.
Once upon a time, World of Warcraft was a fantasy roleplaying game.
well, if the current dev team knew what it was doing, there would be reasons it was in the game.

Of course, past dev teams removing leveling weapons and skills didn't help..the current dev team made it worse.
02/19/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Sathic
Now, lock picking opens lock boxes for you and that's pretty much all its used for these days.

Well, not quite. I still get the occasional joy out of shortening a Shattered Halls run during Timewalking.
Should remove all lock picking from the professions that have it and leave it exclusively for Rogues. I think like having Jewelcrafters with lockpicks is silly.
02/19/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Beardhat

Or it used to be.

Rip Swirly Ball.

Or it used to be.

For fun. Do not ever forget this was for fun, and you wanted it!
I guess I don't really know how to answer, but at the same time there's nothing quite so right in this game as the existence of lockpicking. It's just a shame that it has been so watered down over the years.
02/19/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Snarlmaw

Or it used to be.

For fun. Do not ever forget this was for fun, and you wanted it!
I don't find these changes fun, and I never wanted them.
02/19/2018 03:27 PMPosted by Ripley
used to be a perk to open locked chests and bypass gates. For example you needed a key to get into the Scarlet Cathedral but if you had a rogue in the group you could picklock it instead. There used to be locked chests in dungeons you had to picklock to open.
Lockboxes used to be more valuable. I remember when people would actually whisper me to open them.

Nowadays picklocking is pretty pointless.

Sadly, this kind of stuff is something I miss being in WoW. One reason I had a blacksmith was to make skeleton keys to have for dungeon runs.
I love WoW, but I often really miss the thief options in ESO. Sneaking in to places, picking locks, picking pockets, and having a chance to get some really sweet stuff.

I get WoW can't do that, because having such a cool thievery feature only for rogues may come off as unbalanced (unless other classes got equally awesome stuff to compensate) but maybe they could at least have some cooler achievements, and some chance for lockpicking to award tmog items or toys or other things. You know, build in some incentive?
I miss the old days where you had to go on the quest to learn how to make poisons. Blizz should add in a couple of new poisons and make some quests to go along with them.