Netflix - Warcraft

Movies, TV and Entertainment
I read an article this morning about Warcraft 2 may not happen because of how poorly it went over in the US.

Does anyone else feel that we do need more big/small screen Warcraft? I personally think that a Warcraft movie/tv series on a Netflix/Amazon Prime would do very well.

In today's market, if you don't make a blockbuster hit like the Marvel/Star Wars movies, there really isn't a point to go to the big screen. Look at several of the good Netflix movies and tv series that probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere if they were on cable or released on the big screen.
It did bad in the US because it was a pretty bad movie, I can't even sit through the dvd.
Warcraft is much better suited to a series that can spend the time to world build and flesh out the characters. So we'd probably end up with: Game of Thrones: Azeroth Edition.
02/24/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Bromdai
Warcraft is much better suited to a series that can spend the time to world build and flesh out the characters. So we'd probably end up with: Game of Thrones: Azeroth Edition.

Probably. The Arthas story would have made a good movie series though. Now it shares GoT imagery with the Night King. The problem with TV is fantasy and sci fi is about to be a flooded genre.

Amazon has a Wheel of Time series backed by Sony and that book series was stupidly popular. A Dark Tower series and a Lord of the Rings series.

Disney has a Star Wars series coming on their network.

People are only going to subscribe to so many services and Amazon is the way to go imo. I think Star Wars is a dead IP after TLJ, but even so Disney's service will sell if they put some Comic book stuff on it.

I would rather watch Warcraft than Disney crap but will other people? Will they also watch it over all the other huge fantasy IP's coming?
Even as a wow player the movie is ok. Seeing certain places like SW was great. Acting was bad, dialogue was pretty much meh. They should have made it CGI like the BfA intro. Maybe 20 years ago, this movie would have been ground braking, it felt very dated. This movie was perfect for straight to DVD, or Netflix/ Hulu type movie. For the big screen WoW missed the mark.
02/22/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Ziryus
It did bad in the US because it was a pretty bad movie, I can't even sit through the dvd.

who tf watches or buys dvds in 2018?
some dvd's are worth buying, having a hard copy.
i bought Thor: Ragnarok

and i hope they make Warcraft 2 either film or Netflix, i enjoyed it a lot.
Video games rarely make good movies. Warcraft is/was no exception.
02/27/2018 05:18 AMPosted by Bufferstuff

Anyone who wants to watch something that is not streamed.

GoT is very dialogue heavy (talky and tiresome), and it spends a lot of time on individual power and rulership, and the politics of war, and things of that nature-- it's also very depressing. Have you read the book series or watched the series from beginning through season 7? It's not a fantasy story that will age well. George Martin's approach is flawed; he says that fantasy is harmed by the stories where the good guys win (or don't die so often). With his way, good guys almost always fail. Yet, that very principle (or philosophy) contradicts itself, as in his story you see a handful of characters who have ridiculous plot armor, who seemingly can't die, with ones who even come back from the dead.

Does anyone else feel that we do need more big/small screen Warcraft? I personally think that a Warcraft movie/tv series on a Netflix/Amazon Prime would do very well.

So we'd probably end up with: Game of Thrones: Azeroth Edition.

Warcraft is high fantasy. Its characters and locations are very fantastical and mystical, Game of Thrones is less so, and more reality-based fantasy. A Warcraft tv/web series would work really well with a LotR or Hobbit style narrative.
Lol I think I'm the only one who didn't mind the movie and enjoyed it.
Definitely was hoping for more with the first movie. I wish they had opted for a show instead. It'd be way easier to bring more people to the magic that is azeroth through a tv show than a movie.

With so much lore and content, I think anyone not familiar with WoW, but especially players, wanted more from the movie. We saw dwarves for a few seconds and a couple of other races throughout the film, but really it was just humans and CGI orcs.

Rewatch the trailer for Battle for Azeroth. Now imagine that look, that feel, as a TV series -- has potential! :)

EDIT: go back and look at the cinematics throughout WoW's history too. Used to be mostly in-game models, etc. Only recently have they moved toward more movie-like style of cinematics than machinma in-game look. Another good sign of the possibilities for a successful tv series.
I think it did poorly because people were expecting World of Warcraft instead of what started it all, which was Warcraft 1: Orcs and Humans. Personally I would love to see them make another Warcraft movie if it was based off of Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness. Orc side would have added trolls, ogres, ogre magi, goblins, death knight mages, and dragons. Human side would add elves, dwarves, gnomes, knights, paladins, mages, and the Wildhammer Clan with their gryphons. That would make for some awesome fight scenes. Plus there's the expansion to Warcraft 2 which was Beyond the Dark Portal, when the Alliance invades the orc home world.

I liked the first movie and would love to see a second one.
03/06/2018 02:35 AMPosted by Ziryus
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I have nothing but disgust for physical media. I wonder if he bought the DVD from Deepdiscount.com.
If it had 10 minute intro with some of the background of why and what Gul'dan was trying to do like LOTR had, it would've helped massively imo. But it just went straight in and your like "oh hes doing this cause he's evil...ok".

I don't know why it did so bad in the United States and only made $46 million there, but made over $300 million in other countries. I find that odd that the rest of the world appreciates your American products more than you appreciate yourselves!

Don't worry, even if it does badly in the USA the rest of the world will appreciate your product, don't just rely on the local market.
that's because the rest of the world doesn't have premium usa content being consumed 24/7

in US standards, this warcraft movie was terrible.

in world standards, it was okish, better than their local tv

(have you ever watched canadian tv? holy crap.... stay as far away as possible)

living in canada is only good for beautiful cities, but a lot of us canadians prefer to consume american content. we get mad when netflix or amazon prevent us from seeing certain videos...

I have nothing but disgust for physical media. I wonder if he bought the DVD from Deepdiscount.com.

You millenials...

I buy BluRay/Digital combos exclusively. Watching streaming content is super convenient...

But if the internet is down... or I am somewhere with !@#$ty bandwidth... having that old physical copy is the best alternative.

I guess you could DL the digital on removable media... but then you have to find a compatible player, and if you did it legally, you again have to find a internet connection for DRM.
02/22/2018 10:17 AMPosted by Sceneit
Does anyone else feel that we do need more big/small screen Warcraft?

I would like a small screen wow series. I think it would be great and would get a lot more people in to the lore of wow. I think they could just turn each expansion in to a season.

I also feel that we will get a big screen sequel before we get a TV series. The movie was a block buster hit once you take international sale in to account. The movie made 213 million in China and 433 million world wide (source: boxofficemojo.com) which is a profit so we should see a sequel atleast.
I honestly think it should be an animated series of films created in house by blizz, like the BFA opening cinematic, and be on netflix or get a theatrical release. I'll take one every 2-3 years. If not that than a Blizz controlled anime series on netflix.