Swearing in game and wrongful muting.

Customer Support
It would be wonderful if blizzard actually made it impossible to type a swear word. Ya know auto delete the message the moment it is typed. Considering even though swearing is not against the rules. (I have read the terms of service and if cussing was really "abusive language" it would be listed as that. However there is nothing about cussing in the terms of service and obviously if blizzard didn't want us to cuss then they wouldn't have a mature language filter ingame or even allow us to swear in the first place.) Not only that but fix this issue with people falsely reporting people and getting them muted. Seriously? Like for real. I did not direct any foul language towards any players yet I was muted. Lmao. Yeah great customer service. Actually really peeved about this since it is literally inhibiting my gameplay because I said the F word in trade chat a few times. Blizzard last time I checked everybody cusses in trade. Everybody.
If you want to dispute the mute then appeal it. If you want to complain to the dev go to general. If u want to sugest a change either go to general or use the ingame sugestion. Clearly it was enough times for your realm mates to report u to the point you were muted. Just becaue others do it doesnt mean you should. WHen your mute ends just dont swear 2 wrongs dont make a right.
02/24/2018 06:56 PMPosted by Sephiel
It would be wonderful if blizzard actually made it impossible to type a swear word. Ya know auto delete the message the moment it is typed. Considering even though swearing is not against the rules. (I have read the terms of service and if cussing was really "abusive language" it would be listed as that. However there is nothing about cussing in the terms of service and obviously if blizzard didn't want us to cuss then they wouldn't have a mature language filter ingame or even allow us to swear in the first place.) Not only that but fix this issue with people falsely reporting people and getting them muted. Seriously? Like for real. I did not direct any foul language towards any players yet I was muted. Lmao. Yeah great customer service. Actually really peeved about this since it is literally inhibiting my gameplay because I said the F word in trade chat a few times. Blizzard last time I checked everybody cusses in trade. Everybody.

You may want to read it again:

B. Rules Related to "Chat" and Interaction With Other Users. Communicating in-game with other Users and Blizzard representatives, whether by text, voice or any other method, is an integral part of the Game and the Service and is referred to here as "Chat." When engaging in Chat, you may not:
(i) Transmit or post any content or language which, in the sole and absolute discretion of Blizzard, is deemed to be offensive, including without limitation content or language that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above;

The words I bolded cover cursing. Now as to why they don't outright prevent it? The same reason the Mature Language Filter does not actually filter out everything: Humans are creative in the desire to curse.
Instead of blaming Blizzard, how about not being a foul mouthed punk?
It would be wonderful if blizzard actually made it impossible to type a swear word.

How about you learn some self-control? Vulgar and obscene language is against the rules, and your realm mates obviously don't want to see it.
even though swearing is not against the rules.

Incorrect.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language.

if blizzard didn't want us to cuss then they wouldn't have a mature language filter

That is due to the fact it's difficult to pre-empt people using mature language, so those who don't want to see it can use the filter. It's also quite handy for learning what words are considered inappropriate.

even allow us to swear in the first place

This is because auto-deletion and auto-censoring tends to not work so well. The forums once had a problem with the word 'grape' I think.

this issue with people falsely reporting people and getting them muted

The only thing that can activate automatically from reports is squelching, and that's done for spam, and it's merely a temporary measure until a GM looks at it. If you've been issued a silence, it means a human read the chat logs and decided you deserved it.

Yeah great customer service.

Treating you the way you agreed to be treated for breaking the rules, as well as correctly disciplining you for potentially making other players uncomfortable, and applying the same penalty to you as anyone else who's reported for foul language? Yes, that is actually pretty good customer service.

because I said the F word in trade chat a few times.

Then you know what to stop doing.

last time I checked everybody cusses in trade.

Doesn't mean it's allowed.
Profanity is against the rules. Grow up.
Blizzard last time I checked everybody cusses in trade. Everybody.
There are certainly some who do, and I will report them for inappropriate language; I'm always pleased to see that reports still have an effect. However, it most certainly is not everybody. No.

The only thing inhibiting your gameplay is yourself.

You say you read the TOS? what did you do, scan over it for the exact word "cussing"? You seem to have missed the other ways of describing it. And the F bomb is probably the worst of them all.

I think its funny as anything though that you want blizzard to prevent you from swearing by erasing your chat if you type in a bad word. But even funnier is that you think blizzard WANTS you to swear, since after all, they put in the profanity filter and don't erase your type when you swear.

Umm, no that isn't how it works.

As for this issue needing fixed about people falsely reporting, um, there is no issue needing fixed. It is working exactly as intended, you are proof of that with your crying over getting muted. Considering you say you said it a few times just means you gave even more people the opportunity and more so, the desire, to report you.

And this?

last time I checked everybody cusses in trade.

No, you are wrong there too. Not everybody cusses in trade, or any other chat for that matter. Some of us know when its not the proper time, and last I checked, I don't physically feel pain in WoW, so not like I just smashed my thumb with a hammer and a word slips out.

Don't use words that you should know better than to use, and you won't be inhibiting your game play in the future. If I'm not mistaken, the time doubles each time you get punished.
Account Silenced
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/72214
Appeal Silence in World of Warcraft
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/44277
Blizzard's Code of Conduct
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/42673
Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20760617763#post-9
As the others mentioned, the mature language filter is there for individuals to provide added protection against exposure to inappropriate language. This mostly is for parents of minor children but it can be for adults who also do not care to see it. However, that does not give license for players to use such language. Our policies cover both clear and masked language and can be reported and penalized filtered or not.
As a hint, the Mature Language Filter can be used to quickly identify chat that needs to be reported because it makes it stand out.
Everybody

I don't think this word means what you think.
02/25/2018 06:45 AMPosted by Necrodemos
Everybody

I don't think this word means what you think.

I should think it was obvious he was being figurative, not literal. Picking apart semantics isn't really the relevant issue here.
...if blizzard didn't want us to cuss then they wouldn't have a mature language filter ingame or even allow us to swear in the first place.

This comes up a lot, but allow me to poke some holes in it.

- The mature language filter exist so that people who do not want to see obscene language have a way to block it. The availability of the mature language filter does not mean players are free to say whatever they want to whoever they want. Our Code of Conduct still outlines what is considered violations. You adhere to this, or you are silenced.

- It is impossible to block swearing completely. Not only is the dictionary of vulgarities ever evolving, but chat filters can just be circumvented. We would need to not only create an all encompassing dictionary of terms, but we would also have to create a dictionary of every variation of those terms.
An example: Badword becomes B@dword becomes B A D W O R D.

What other people do or say in chat has no bearing on what is or isn't permitted. Others who swear will also find themselves silenced if they are reported for it. Best way to avoid a silence is to watch what you say and avoid Code of Conduct violations.