Vanilla player: who will not play classic

Classic Discussion
I am guessing this is not a new opinion.

I have been playing wow since 2004 (not this account) and remember...fondly? Leveling 55-60 grinding lumber jacks in western plaguelands.

I was excited to hear about classic servers, and always felt blizzard should appease the players who wanted the experience. Now, I wonder how much or if at all I would play classic.

"Casual" gets thrown around like a dirty word in games. Wow has become more casual for sure, but it's design now allows the game to fit in my lifestyle. Content is quick and bite sized, I can hop in and complete a mythic dungeon or world quest in short bursts.

I think about classic and how long doing Ubers took, it was equal in time investment to our raids now in legion. Outside of not being able to commit several hours of game time to group Content, classic did not offer much. There was no "casual" progression players could work on in between real life commitments.

As a youth I had that spare time, now, no way. I wonder how many people who want classic are forgetting how much of a time investment the content actually was. Given the barrier to entry, no doubt a sub fee, will the player base in classic be able to sustain itself. I want classic as much as the next person, outside of a time machine - not sure blizzard can take my kids to hockey practice for me.
take your time. quest. learn professions. put yer wares on the ah and watch them actually sell. no pressure but what you make.
03/08/2018 03:37 PMPosted by Progy

I have been playing wow since 2004 (not this account) and remember...fondly? Leveling 55-60 grinding lumber jacks in western plaguelands.

I was excited to hear about classic servers, and always felt blizzard should appease the players who wanted the experience. Now, I wonder how much or if at all I would play classic.

"Casual" gets thrown around like a dirty word in games. Wow has become more casual for sure, but it's design now allows the game to fit in my lifestyle. Content is quick and bite sized, I can hop in and complete a mythic dungeon or world quest in short bursts.

I think about classic and how long doing Ubers took, it was equal in time investment to our raids now in legion. Outside of not being able to commit several hours of game time to group Content, classic did not offer much. There was no "casual" progression players could work on in between real life commitments.

As a youth I had that spare time, now, no way. I wonder how many people who want classic are forgetting how much of a time investment the content actually was. Given the barrier to entry, no doubt a sub fee, will the player base in classic be able to sustain itself. I want classic as much as the next person, outside of a time machine - not sure blizzard can take my kids to hockey practice for me.

I'm struggling to find the point of your post. Not trying to be a #*%@**##, I really don't understand what you're getting at here other than telling us you may not be able to play classic because of other commitments.
thanks for sharing.
This topic has come up before, and the common response is that vanilla can be played whenever you have time. I always thought this was a cheap answer. From my experience I know a player can put in over 30 hours a week and never set foot in a dungeon or raid. Today I am older. I am fortunate to not have an over abundance of obligations (maybe unfortunate), but I do have less time than I had the first time around. I have wondered if I will play even half as much as I did the first go around, especially if I do not find much success like the first time, after a certain point.

Quite a few regulars here acknowledge there will be tourists in the new vanilla. What about those who plan to stick around? Someone could intend to be a regular, but things change. I am also curious how many will successfully make vanilla part of their routine this time around. All I can promise is that I will give it a shot.
03/08/2018 03:55 PMPosted by Gygen
This topic has come up before, and the common response is that vanilla can be played whenever you have time. I always thought this was a cheap answer. From my experience I know a player can put in over 30 hours a week and never set foot in a dungeon or raid. Today I am older. I am fortunate to not have an over abundance of obligations (maybe unfortunate), but I do have less time than I had the first time around. I have wondered if I will play even half as much as I did the first go around, especially if I do not find much success like the first time, after a certain point.

Quite a few regulars here acknowledge there will be tourists in the new vanilla. What about those who plan to stick around? Someone could intend to be a regular, but things change. I am also curious how many will successfully make vanilla part of their routine this time around. All I can promise is that I will give it a shot.

I will likely fall under the tourist area. I enjoy group Content and the fixed time commitment to classic will keep me away. I really hope everyone that does play classic has a good time, I am just curious how many of those people will exist. May create a vicious cycle of less players thus less access to groups for Content, and so on.
Looking forward to short baron runs. Also looking forward to having a weekend free and spending the better part of a Saturday doing a full BRD clear. Variety is nice.
Oh heck, sure I'll play. Who wouldn't play? Why wouldn't you play?

Well, actually, if they need more cash money to play, then I won't play. I simply won't pay for Classic, but if it's free (with my current WoW subscript), I'll play. When the servers light up, I'll be there with bells on.

If they one time charge for the client, like $15, I MIGHT pay for that, but I certainly won't subscribe.

Will I STAY!?

That's a different question entirely. Who knows.
03/08/2018 03:37 PMPosted by Progy

It's not. It's been 14 years. Some people have obligations. Some don't. Some have time, some will make time when necessary, others won't or can't.

I don't have time like I used to. I won't be going into UBRS on any given week night like I used to. But that's what weekends are for.
I'm in the same boat with kids, work, wife, projects, work, farm.

It'll probably take me a year or so to pre-bis but I'm not too worried.. End game isn't going anywhere!
The game for me does not start at level 60.

The game starts at level 1.
Play with that mentality, and you will never be let down.
NOT playing classic? Even if you have the time? How can one even entertain such a daft idea? :)
I'm not any younger myself and working. That said I'm still playing classic. Maybe I will have time for a lot of things and maybe I won't. Either way I'm going to enjoy it more than current because to me it was a better game.

I have no problems with people who started in vanilla saying they won't ever touch it again. That's fine. I do know there's a population that will and in a game that encourages social bonds more then what current WoW does and that's good enough for me.
I dunno, I felt pretty engaged the entire time I was leveling on Nostalrius. Even simple crap like killing spiders in Stonetalon was fun, but I couldn't put a finger on why. Maybe it was the other players. I don't know.

I find myself with less and less time lately, but as long as I can toast some nerds in Un'Goro with my friends, I think it'll all be fine.
I got you OP....

“I’m not going to spend time on a game that requires me to try and work towards gratification. I would much rather spend less time on an easier game for instant gratification”

Your welcome.
It will probably take me 6 months to get to 60, but I will still play. Which means I will still PAY the $15/month.
Definitely in a similar boat to you in that my time is more valuable now than when I was younger (and as a result current WoW will definitely be my main game as I can play it how I like in shorter amounts of time).

However, the great thing about classic servers is that... well this is it most likely. Whenever I feel the itch to play, or happen to have a big swath of time that I'd like to use on a dungeon or raid or whatever else on classic then I can go right ahead and do that.

There's no rush to catch up quickly and hit end game when you don't have to worry about expansions being released and the sort. If it takes me many months to hit 60, and many more to gear up to a reasonable level then so be it. It's definitely a completely different game to the current one in that aspect especially.
Yeah I’m all set. I started WoW in 2005 when I had nothing else whatsoever to do with my spare time and it still took forever to get to max level, let alone get geared and get into raids.

Now? Lol. It’d take years to get to 60 with how much I play now.
Its a time investment that is worth it. If you don't agree then by all means there are plenty of other things to do. But regardless of how much time I manage to have or not have I will play this game at the pace I am able. If I have to move much slower than your average person, so be it. I would rather play this game and move at a snails pace but enjoy the immersion of living in a World of Warcraft that has such a strong sense of community than play the retail single player version.
I'll be level 20 in about a months time. I'm a filthy casual.