What is "toxic"?

Classic Discussion
"Toxic behavior" is the flavor of the day thing it seems. We have so many people throwing the word around on both sides, it makes me wonder if anyone has any clue what they're talking about.

My bet is, no.

Preface: I personally hate the term "toxic". It's just a way to slander what someone else is doing or saying without having anything to actually say. It is a way of shutting people up, regardless of if it may or may not be accurate.

On to the point of the thread. What is "toxic"? Odds are you've used the term once or twice (or a few hundred times, depending on who you are on this forum). But what do you mean when you say it? "Bad behavior"? "Being a jerk"? "Just being toxic, man, you know what it means!"? Do you have a dictionary definition you are running off of?

I know that just about any thread on this forum will eventually devolve into a pissing contest of who is more "toxic", but I'd like to find out in the middle of that what people actually mean. And I'm looking for people to be as specific and definitive as possible. So please, pull up a chair, have a drink, and tell me what "toxic" means to you. Please refrain from mentioning names or quoting anyone, just give us a self-made example of what you would consider "toxic", and explain why that example is "toxic".

Postscript: If all you're going to say is "Saying "no changes" is toxic because it is" or "asking for transmog is toxic because it is", nobody really cares about that. You basically say nothing when you say that, other than that you have a complete inability to form your own cohesive thoughts and arguments.

Stay classy, and FOR THE HORDE!
It's a catch-all phrase used in place of words not allowed by the CoC. Choose not-allowed word of your choice and slap it in place.
People are 100% using toxic wrong well in this sense.

At this point its anyone who disagrees with the other person's personal agenda.

In reality though, its a person who is just a douchebag/!@#$%^- whatever you want to call it. Really unpleasant person and just wants to bully people. That is toxicity that should be used. At the same time, its used as a personal attack 90% of the time sadly.
02/25/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Idun
It's a catch-all phrase used in place of words not allowed by the CoC. Choose not-allowed word of your choice and slap it in place.
So when you see/say "toxic" you are actually calling someone a #$%^ #$^% !@$ $%& @#$% or #$@%? I want to be sure I understand you.

02/25/2018 06:46 PMPosted by Nightrom
In reality though, its a person who is just a douchebag/!@#$%^- whatever you want to call it. Really unpleasant person and just wants to bully people. That is toxicity that should be used. At the same time, its used as a personal attack 90% of the time sadly.
I agree that people are using it wrong. But when you say "unpleasant person who wants to bully", what about context? Is it bullying to tell someone who is trying to troll to "gtfo"? I'm trying to get as much information about this as I can. I know it is a vain hope, but I hope that people understanding one another on this issue might broker a cessation of the ubiquitous "toxic" slinging.
IMO....

Toxic is an adjective used to describe people who intentionally or unintentionally destroy the sense of community within a group.

I think however in the example you describe, it's being used inappropriately to shut down debate. Typically if someone can't make a good argument they start throwing around labels like that.
02/25/2018 06:54 PMPosted by Kadavr
02/25/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Idun
So when you see/say "toxic" you are actually calling someone a #$%^ #$^% !@$ $%& @#$% or #$@%? I want to be sure I understand you.

02/25/2018 06:46 PMPosted by Nightrom
I agree that people are using it wrong. But when you say "unpleasant person who wants to bully", what about context? Is it bullying to tell someone who is trying to troll to "gtfo"? I'm trying to get as much information about this as I can. I know it is a vain hope, but I hope that people understanding one another on this issue might broker a cessation of the ubiquitous "toxic" slinging.

When I say bullying I mean going out of their way in putting someone down through personal attacks not willingly wanting to have an actual debate on the subject.

Trolling (unless its meant to just be funny) is a form of bullying. So telling the trolls to gtfo is logical as they live under bridges and not on forums.
02/25/2018 06:55 PMPosted by Heavyweight
IMO....

Toxic is an adjective used to describe people who intentionally or unintentionally destroy the sense of community within a group.

I think however in the example you describe, it's being used inappropriately to shut down debate. Typically if someone can't make a good argument they start throwing around labels like that.

This, and unfortunately there are many who either argue just for the sake of doing so, and those that think feelings have merit in an argument.

Typically it's the overly sensitive that fall back on calling names and claiming the community is toxic.

The closest places in the WoW forums to Toxic behavior are the General forums, and occasionally arena forums.

If you want a genuinely toxic place to observe; League of legends is a very good example.

This forum has a high level of passion, but it's far from toxic.
I have never used the word toxic to describe others in my life. I have rarely ever used the term at all, for a reason.

To me it all goes back to my firm stance as a person against special interests. I believe a person should be judged on their merit instead of special consideration. I have reservations against guilt by association as well as the stipulation is often used to squeeze suspects just for being in the same vicinity, used to confiscate private property. So much can be accomplished by ascribing the word toxic to an individual, with or without merit.

I think only cowards and liars use words like toxic, and if you saw it in person you would see the crocodile tears. Despicable. Back Handed.

I honestly do not think people who use the word toxic on the forum truly understand the meaning of the word, and that the usage says more about their character than any point they are attempting to make. There are plenty of synonyms to toxic but I have taken up enough of your time.
To many, its being told "I don't like your suggestion".
02/25/2018 07:26 PMPosted by Clion
But what does it mean to you?
op is the most toxic person that camps the classic forum.
From what I noticed people just throw out the word toxic as a way to insult the opposing side, and act as if they have the moral high ground.

This place is far from toxic. There's a lot of passion from people here, but I don't consider it to be as bad as people make it out to be. I think the GD forums were much worse for discussion, but I don't see anyone calling that place toxic.
There is a world of difference between being toxic and being unwilling to back down from the nonsensical ravings being thrown at us just because we prefer the Vanilla game as it was.

If you throw nonsense at me, you will get it back in spades. A Changer tried to tell me I had harassed a CM, and as I hadnt ever been to these forums prior to a week or so ago, thats just blatant bullying and defamation.

Vanilla was the best game I ever played, and a lot of the connection I had with it was at an emotional level. You cant pin logic on a feeling, you cant pin logic on an emotional response. Vanilla was challenging and fun. Fun isnt logical, fun is in the eye of the beholder.

All Ive seen here so far is people wanting to dumb the game down just like they did the first time around. If things like new models, guild banks and so on wind up in the game, I wont end up in the game. Im not playing a bastardized version of a game Ive advocated for and hoped for, for 10 years.

If its not true blue Classic, count me out.
Toxic is a buzzword that's been reduced to nothingness by way of people labeling anything they dislike as "toxic."
02/25/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Twidget
There is a world of difference between being toxic and being unwilling to back down from the nonsensical ravings being thrown at us just because we prefer the Vanilla game as it was.

If you throw nonsense at me, you will get it back in spades. A Changer tried to tell me I had harassed a CM, and as I hadnt ever been to these forums prior to a week or so ago, thats just blatant bullying and defamation.

Vanilla was the best game I ever played, and a lot of the connection I had with it was at an emotional level. You cant pin logic on a feeling, you cant pin logic on an emotional response. Vanilla was challenging and fun. Fun isnt logical, fun is in the eye of the beholder.

All Ive seen here so far is people wanting to dumb the game down just like they did the first time around. If things like new models, guild banks and so on wind up in the game, I wont end up in the game. Im not playing a bastardized version of a game Ive advocated for and hoped for, for 10 years.

If its not true blue Classic, count me out.
This isn't what the thread is about, and really has no relevance. I may agree with much of what you've said, but this is not the place to discuss it.

What does "toxic" mean to you?
Anyone who doesn't agree with me is toxic and they smell too.

Or at least I think that's how it works.
this is toxic: https://youtu.be/LOZuxwVk7TU
02/25/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Iconöclast
Anyone who doesn't agree with me is toxic and they smell too.

Or at least I think that's how it works.
Again, this is cute, but it does nothing but tell me what I knew your opinion was already. What is, in your own personal opinion, "toxic" behavior?
Toxic is a word used by people who want to immediately discredit someone's opinion and credibility. It's nonsense.
02/25/2018 07:26 PMPosted by Clion
and to others it is when someone is refuting Thier argument with emotional fallacy instead of logic and reason.

Unfortunately when people are using emotion as Thier argument / counter argument there is no reasoning with them.