BFA Alpha Megathread (2)

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 11 12 13 26 Next
03/28/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Arm
Why does Blizzard have so much contempt for themselves, for Metzen, and for us? Like, do they have secret meetings where they defecate over copies of Warcraft III while writing stories where the Horde puts human senior citizens into trebuchets?

I feel it's because so much of the conversation hasn't been directed at Blizzard.

When Cataclysm hit, the Alliance didn't get mad at Horde players, they got mad at Blizzard writing and subjected it to endless criticism, protest and scrutiny (so much so that they had to publicly address it). There's room for argument that it didn't change anything, but there's also no denying that the Alliance were given a bigger, more active role that only really came to fruition in Legion, where it visited in spades.

When Alliance writing is bad, the Alliance gets mad at Blizzard. When Horde writing is bad, the Horde gets mad at the Alliance. That's a broad generalization, to be sure, but instead of "wait and see" demands and anger at not being given the benefit of the doubt, it feels like it'd be more effective to direct that conversation toward Blizzard.

It might not work, it's true. But it's the difference between something that might not work (criticizing Blizzard) and definitely doesn't work (wait and see).
The thing that's always confused me about "wait and see" and "judge for yourself" arguments is that they often seem to depend on me spending my money and time on the thing in question in the first place.

Well, they've got my money now and I hate it. Gee, I sure showed them.
Sylvanas: We are the forsaken. We will slaughter anyone who stands in our way.

Everyone: lmao what a kidder you're such a wacky lady Sylvanas.

Sylvanas slaughters anyone who stands in her way

Everyone: WTF I thought you were a good guy???
03/28/2018 10:23 AMPosted by Enekie
When Horde writing is bad, the Horde gets mad at the Alliance.

I've been doing doubletakes ever since it was revealed that the Horde is apparently totally cool with gladiatorial slavery (so long as it's kept on the down-low), but I didn't vocalize my doubts until Cataclysm hit and it became clear Blizzard was moving the Horde away from ~shades of gray~ to charcoal. The insults came fast and hard. I had thought that "the Horde is doing some really morally dubious stuff, and I don't like the direction Blizzard is taking them" would be an inoffensive statement. Whoops!!

Recently, while discussing my void elf and his motivations, I brought up the fact that Lor'themar and Rommath and Silvermoon's upper echelons in general have done some seriously skeevy stuff, for which they have faced exactly zero consequences.

Someone proceeded to get buttmad at me. Not the people who wrote Lor'themar and Co. doing skeevy, dystopian !@#$, me for daring to even mention it, and presumably for daring to incorporate it into my void elf's backstory.

So I'm kinda just... done.

I feel like this Evil Empire of Evil stuff could have been avoided, but hey.

Oh, well. As I grow older, I find myself moving away from the idea that every fantasy story has to subvert long-held tropes in order to be good/enjoyable.

Bring on the Shining Good vs. Grimdark Evil punch-up.
http://www.wowhead.com/news=283081/battle-for-azeroth-build-26310-broadcast-text-magni-azshara-uldir-cats-siege-of-?webhook/battle-for-azeroth-build-26310-broadcast-text

Well, apparently Snake people aren't as evil as we thought. It looks like most were living peacefully till one said "lol nah". He even looked surprised about the Vulpera stuff.
GIVE ME ALLIANCE SNAKE PEOPLE

These wisps are nothing but pests. Insects to crush between your fingers. Stifle their light one by one, and soon the sky will fill with darkness.

Now that the Horde is going Full Villain, they really need to up the ham.

I want to see Sylvanas screeching this line from atop a Mortis Engine, preferably while surrounded by chittering zombie bats and backed by ominous storm clouds.
I hate where they are taking the Horde. And my faction pride for it that I've had since I started playing this game, or got into this franchise is dying.
I'm more interested in the additional Red Dragonflight dialogue for death knights.

Lasting repercussions for in-game actions?

What blasphemy is this.
03/28/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Kazimir

So I'm kinda just... done.

I can kind of understand the defensiveness of some players. The Horde's structure of building on being persecuted and misunderstood resonates for a reason, after all, and it's easy to transfer that mood to a resistance to criticism to that national character (even when the Horde hasn't been persecuted unjustly in the story for ages now).

But it's not particularly helpful. I don't begrudge people their passion, but I would rather that passion be turned outward, rather than in. As has been said since time immemorial, bad writing knows no faction.
Dungeons & Raids

I'm in Charge Now! (New) Defeat Skycap'n Kragg after summoning and defeating Patches on Mythic difficulty. 10 points.

I love when Hearthstone cards become canon in wow with Sir Finly making it in during Legion
Okay I just maybe might put up with seeing my favorite faction cannibalize itself for the sake of a faction I are nothing for, just for the satisfaction of finally being able to nuke Patches the Pirate down with a Chaos Bolt while /yelling "Who's meta-defining now?!"

Just maybe.
https://twitter.com/TheRedShirtGuy/status/978817285820477445

This is where the bee mounts come from, I bet!
All of Kul Tiras is beautiful but I'm really taken with Stormsong Valley. It's so pastoral.
03/28/2018 01:14 PMPosted by Kazimir
All of Kul Tiras is beautiful but I'm really taken with Stormsong Valley. It's so pastoral.

Until night falls and they sacrifice Edward Woodward to their dark pagan gods.
So with the whole 'Horde descends on a small town and massacres everyone present for the purpose of scourging them' I wonder how it'll come up into the future

Moreover, I wonder what the alliance equivalent will be, because as they've shown through having BOTH teldrassil and undercity instead of just one like theramore, they're keeping the tit for tat nature going
03/28/2018 01:20 PMPosted by Stalairne
I wonder how it'll come up into the future

"Those cowardly unarmed villagers were coming right for us, but we were able to best them in honorable melee combat. Really, we're the victims here."

~ Dread-Warlord Bruttor "Baby Stomper" Skulldeath, Kicker of Puppies
So with the whole 'Horde descends on a small town and massacres everyone present for the purpose of scourging them' I wonder how it'll come up into the future

Moreover, I wonder what the alliance equivalent will be, because as they've shown through having BOTH teldrassil and undercity instead of just one like theramore, they're keeping the tit for tat nature going

I'm going to say it'll probably never be brought up again, be blamed on Sylvanas or some other "only following orders" fallacy and I doubt the Alliance are going to get a counterattack of that magnitude. Mists of Pandaria was the dying gasp of Blizzard's "both sides are morally gray" ethos and it's well and truly buried now.

Not a whole lot of tit that can match that tat.

Void bomb a blood elf settlement, turning them into void elves with no choice but to join the Alliance?

Reverse undeath in Forsaken, bringing them back to the Alliance (and raising a whole bunch of questions about the nature of death)?

Just kill a bunch of civilians and call it even?
After being forced to play the shining hero for so long... getting the opportunity to be a villain sounds delightful.
03/28/2018 01:29 PMPosted by Conjurus
Reverse undeath in Forsaken, bringing them back to the Alliance (and raising a whole bunch of questions about the nature of death)?

Just abduct a bunch of undead and force them to wear lots of blush and shirts with elbows