Gazlowe, Voss, Other Neutrals Join The Horde!

Story Forum
Why is Voss horde side she’s not even a horde character she’s essentially a merc.
Gaz has been a Horde independent contractor for a long time and taken place in major Horde infrastructure projects. Making it official membership once Horde starts trying to evict/enslave nonmembers is just good business.

Voss while she hasn't ever joined the Forsaken, Lorderan is still her home and foreign humans showing up to take her home from her and indiscriminately slaughter undead is a good reason to push her and any other neutral undead to finally join. Plus Horde PC is likely the closest thing she has to a friend, considering how we help her come to terms with her being undead, and then keep working together after that on occasion.
As a peerless tactician once said, you can never trust a neutral.
03/08/2018 01:34 AMPosted by Desanvos
Voss while she hasn't ever joined the Forsaken, Lorderan is still her home and foreign humans showing up to take her home from her and indiscriminately slaughter undead is a good reason to push her and any other neutral undead to finally join. Plus Horde PC is likely the closest thing she has to a friend, considering how we help her come to terms with her being undead, and then keep working together after that on occasion.

You say that but does the following sound like someone who would take offense to Alliance killing undead "indiscriminately"?

You! You're the one that found me the blade, correct? I have need of your services again.

The blade worked wonderfully, allowing me to sever the tormented undead from this world. Their screams were such beautiful music.

However, the Soulsever Blade cannot be repaired, as it is partially woven with spirit energy that is drawn upon each time a soul is released. I need another, as there are still dark forces at work in this place, raising spirits and turning them.

Yes, yes this is perfect. It is time, little souls, to return to the twisting darkness.

<Lilian cackles madly.>

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Soulcarver_Voss
Voss is clearly insane. I think nearly dying in Scholomance did something to her mentally. Perhaps having Gandling's will imposed on her damaged her in some way? Before that she seemed stable.

Her affiliation towards the Horde is strange. She has no personal loyalty, we know the Forsaken had hired her at least twice to wipe out Scarlet Crusaders, so she's willing to work with the Forsaken for her own ends.

Her working with us in Scarlet Monastery and Scholomance was for her own goals, and fighting the BL in Legion was something everyone had stakes in.

But here? Here she's helping the Horde fight the Alliance. What we do on Zandalar ultimately goes towards that goal. Rexxar and Gazlowe I can see and understand them helping us in this war effort, but why is Voss helping fight the Alliance?

It's just odd. The only think I can think of is that Lilian feels some type of kinship to the Forsaken that hasn't really been shown. But that's just a guess.
Unless something happens in the book with Voss, there's no reasons for her to be affiliated with the Horde, at all. I'm pretty unhappy seeing her, especially having her shoved down my throat as our super-special "Horde" champion in the Rogue Hall, despite not being Horde at all.

I'm mainly unhappy because there are other characters that can reach that Undead Rogue itch just as well.

Deathstalker Belmont for Horde Champion!
03/07/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Valko
I can't wait for famous historic Alliance heroes like Vanessa VanCleef and Taran Zhu to show up and fight the Horde.

Vanessa VanCleef is still pissed the alliance killed her dad. We get her AND hogger.
If Voss really is going Horde then I wonder if the rogue mount questline was just a red herring. Wouldn't put it past her being ordered to assassinate people in every major city to cause the faction war to escalate.
Have we run out of famous Alliance characters to turn neutral then?

In all seriousness, Rexxar was only ever neutral in the way Thrall or Brann Bronzebeard was neutral. Gazlowe opposed the Alliance in Cataclysm, and aided the Horde in Warlords. As for Lilian Voss, I'm going to preface this by saying I don't like her, however she was probably always intended to be a Horde character. Her story starts in a Horde exclusive zone, her story mirrors the story of a Horde faction, she primarily opposes villains mostly relevant to the Horde.

None of this is really surprising, most of it is welcome.
People have covered why Voss doesn't make sense, I want to make a case for Gazlowe.

I'm not going to pretend Gazlowe hasn't always leaned Horde. He has, that's just a fact. Besides helping with Orgrimmar (twice!) and the garrison, he's personal friends with Thrall, Baine, and formerly Cairne too. My problem arises in him entering conflict with the Alliance, assuming the missions we send these followers on are going to be faction war related.

In Cata, he had a few quests where he sent the Horde player to attack the Alliance in his place because he was still a neutral figure, but his motivation for it was they were keeping Horde merchants from entering Ratchet, not directly because of the war.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Club_Foote
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Love_it_or_Limpet

However, he also says this: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Flight_to_Theramore
Listen, I got no special love for the Alliance... but then again, I got no real hate for you guys either.
Your gold is as good as anyone else's. Sometimes better.

So I dunno. Gazlowe has always sort of been an honorary Horde character, that's just a fact and there's no two ways about it. But I think that, if these followers are going to be in open conflict with the other faction, then it goes against Gazlowe's stance of being neutral gets him more money. Helping the Horde with construction the way he did in WoD is one thing, going "I can't help it if someone in my town coincidentally attacks the soldiers I have a beef with" in Cata is one thing, but openly going against the Alliance just seems counter to his interests.

But maybe these followers won't actually be doing that and I'm making an issue over nothing. We haven't seen their missions. But I hope that, if that is what happens, we get a decent explanation.
I don't get why so many neutral people are joining in on a stupid, pointless race war. It's like the entire planet is being beaten in the face by the stupid stick.
03/08/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Lena
It's like the entire planet is being beaten in the face by the stupid stick.
That's a good name for the Sword of Sargeras...
03/07/2018 10:20 PMPosted by Felmyth
Why is Voss horde side she’s not even a horde character she’s essentially a merc.

I think it's simply cause she is undead.

Warcraft seems to have a habit of 'if you belong to x race then you are allied with y faction.' They may break that mold every once and a while, but for the most part this game is pretty rigid with that outline.
Death to voss
Gazlowe is probably just hired to come to Zandalar. I wouldn't think too deeply on his motives, the dude's always shown clear favourism towards the Horde, so I'd imagine he'd be at least willing to help.

Alternatively it's just a game mechanic. I can get plenty of faction based characters like Thassarian, Rexxar, Broll, etc to help me kill their own faction in Legion. Doesn't mean they actually do that.
03/08/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Threeslotbag
03/08/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Lena
It's like the entire planet is being beaten in the face by the stupid stick.
That's a good name for the Sword of Sargeras...

*Slow clap*

You say that but does the following sound like someone who would take offense to Alliance killing undead "indiscriminately"?

You! You're the one that found me the blade, correct? I have need of your services again.

The blade worked wonderfully, allowing me to sever the tormented undead from this world. Their screams were such beautiful music.

However, the Soulsever Blade cannot be repaired, as it is partially woven with spirit energy that is drawn upon each time a soul is released. I need another, as there are still dark forces at work in this place, raising spirits and turning them.

Yes, yes this is perfect. It is time, little souls, to return to the twisting darkness.

<Lilian cackles madly.>

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Soulcarver_Voss

Voss's issues are with the mindslave undead and those that make them mindslaves via necromancy. The key point of the forsaken is that they maintain their own will albeit a bit warped from when they died due to the jarring process of becoming undead.

Also again taking the home where they live and trying to purge all undead in Lorderan is very much something that could push neutral undead such as Voss into the Forsaken family.

----------------------------------------------------

As for Gazlowe again what people don't get is Horde money is better than no money when joining with the Horde (who are his biggest and closest clients anyway) removes the very real chance Slvyvanas would have the Horde take Ratchet and install a more favorable leader.