How do you really get into Arena? (Hunter)

Arenas
I've been playing for years and have always dabbled in PvP. I love doing BGs, but when it comes to arena it seems hard to find partners that stick around. This character has just hit 110 so I have a lot of work to do on him before it's pvp ready, but in the mean time I figured I'd ask you guys what the best way to get into 3's is. I've been over 2k in 2's back in WoD on Monk, but that was the last time I've really played arena and since I normally just played with friends we always had super bad double dps comps so we never really made it too far other than that one time.

I've never done arena on a hunter though, so I have no idea what spec or comps I should be looking to try or what even makes a good hunter from a bad one these days. Last time I played hunter in arena was back in WotLK, but again that was only in 2's.

I've been watching a ton of videos and looking things up outside of this, but I just figured I might as well see what you forum goers think and maybe get some advice that may not be easily found in other sources.

Thanks in advance!
Ret hunter priest (Cupid/php) is a bread and butter 3s comp for hunter that is super easy to start with. Feral hunter priest (jungle) is also a bread and butter hunter comp.

Both of these comps hinge on executing cc chains that you and your partners coordinate. hoj or bash into trap with a follow up fear on the enemy healer. (Sometimes in jungle you will have to set up your own trap with bursting shot)

I recommend starting with php if you are just picking up hunter because it can be more forgiving and has huge advantages against double melee comps, which you'll see a lot of in lower ratings. It's quite a bit weaker against double casters than jungle however.

As far as spec goes, I would start with marksmanship. If for no other reason than more people will be familiar with what you are generally doing.
Honestly if i was to learn arena from scratch, i'd start with something easier and more versatile than Hunter. It currently only has 2 comps in the meta (PHP and Jungle), i'm aware it can work with other stuff but try to get anyone from LFG (most new player's first experience with ranked arena come through it, which is an issue in itself imho) to think outside of the box and tell me about how it goes, so getting to play the game at all as a Hunter at the moment feels like an uphill battle to begin with.

As far as difficulty goes, messing up as a Hunter just tend to be more punishing than most other classes, specially as a new player, as missing a trap for example locks you out of your primary CC for 30 seconds, while getting kicked on a Poly for example doesn't have nearly as much consequences.

If you really like the MM playstyle and want to stay in the same ballpark,i'd really suggest trying a Mage, Frost in particular, plays relatively similarly but has a lot more comps and isn't as punishing.

P.S : Before someone think i'm whining, i understand all of this is irrelevant to experienced players for who pulling HoJ => Traps and Bash => traps is an automatism but this is a new player perspective thread where concepts such as positioning or even basic strats aren't innate. Hunter just isn't the smoothest learning curve if you want to get into arena in my opinion, that's all.
practice and watch streamers. go into lfg and find a team to queue with even if its not meta. try your best to get your rating up slowly over time. focus on the mistakes you make, no matter how small they are, and work on fixing them so you can be a more consistent player. eventually find a team or teams that you can consistently queue with. that is how you improve and get into arena.
Practice trapping and kiting first and foremost. Watch some youtube videos, streamers. The rest is situational awareness and just learning your class and other classes moves.
q skirms until u get better, then do 2s until u get better, then do 3s.
02/20/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Griever
Honestly if i was to learn arena from scratch, i'd start with something easier and more versatile than Hunter. It currently only has 2 comps in the meta (PHP and Jungle), i'm aware it can work with other stuff but try to get anyone from LFG (most new player's first experience with ranked arena come through it, which is an issue in itself imho) to think outside of the box and tell me about how it goes, so getting to play the game at all as a Hunter at the moment feels like an uphill battle to begin with.

As far as difficulty goes, messing up as a Hunter just tend to be more punishing than most other classes, specially as a new player, as missing a trap for example locks you out of your primary CC for 30 seconds, while getting kicked on a Poly for example doesn't have nearly as much consequences.

If you really like the MM playstyle and want to stay in the same ballpark,i'd really suggest trying a Mage, Frost in particular, plays relatively similarly but has a lot more comps and isn't as punishing.

P.S : Before someone think i'm whining, i understand all of this is irrelevant to experienced players for who pulling HoJ => Traps and Bash => traps is an automatism but this is a new player perspective thread where concepts such as positioning or even basic strats aren't innate. Hunter just isn't the smoothest learning curve if you want to get into arena in my opinion, that's all.

I disagree there actually, I think (mm) hunter is a nice class to start on because it sort of has everything. It has plenty of tools to feel you're actually getting better, whether that be positioning, kiting, or setting up cc chains. The class itself is pretty versatile, it's just the comp variety now that is meh but that also changes per season.
Thanks for the responses so far! I have a mage as well, but it's fire. I've tried to pvp on it but could only really accomplish anything as fire since I just constantly get kicked and haven't really learned the art of juking. Ranged seems easier to learn on since it's easier to tell when you're taking bigger damage. I figured as a hunter I could be ranged without the issue of having to worry about juking kicks. I understand trapping and stuff for the most part and often feel like I'm the reason we are able to land key kills in bgs, but that's with uncoordinated people who may or may not know what they are doing.

I guess for the most part I'm just not sure how people figure out what comps work well since I don't play too many other classes. I've mostly mained Monk or Feral so I'm not really sure what to look out for in other classes. Is there someplace I could more easily see what abilities I should look out for in other classes or find some neat tricks I should be doing as a hunter in competitive pvp? So far I've seen a bunch of guides on hunter pvp but mostly they only go over talents and not really the strategy behind it so I can start really getting a fundamental understanding.

Sorry for the noob questions. Throughout all my friends I'm the "hardcore" pvper so getting into actual competitive has been harder than I would have thought.
02/20/2018 12:16 PMPosted by Laoghaire
I disagree there actually, I think (mm) hunter is a nice class to start on because it sort of has everything. It has plenty of tools to feel you're actually getting better, whether that be positioning, kiting, or setting up cc chains. The class itself is pretty versatile, it's just the comp variety now that is meh but that also changes per season.

My experience with it isn't necessarily that it's hard or a super high skillcap class, but it's harder to get experience with it because of your relatively limited options in lfg. There's also a definite right and wrong way to play those bread and butter comps, and rets/ferals that don't know what to do will make everything really frustrating. Like it's hard to practice meshing your pressure with trap setups if/when your partner is constantly picking really bad times and places to start the setups. You'll have inexperienced rets horse across the map while hunter has two melee on him and hoj 60 yards away behind los and rage at the hunter for not trapping out of his setup hoj, for example. (you want the ret to follow the melee while you kite to africa, holding hoj for a couple seconds and then hoj in the open when healer has to push in).

Mage/warlock/boomkin can also play setup comps like that, but their primary cc is spammable, so it's slightly less punishing when your partners don't mesh 100% with you. I think that's what Griever is referring to when he's talking about the potential for a more frustrating experience than one of those classes. Again, not like it's hard to do, but one of those things where "practice doesn't really make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect". Finding people that know/are willing to learn how to play with you can be a struggle in and of itself.
02/20/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Griever

recommending somebody start on any caster in legion (barring ele sham)?????????????????????????????????????