Survival Hunter

Hunter
Recently tried Survival hunter for the first time.

I enjoy the "Warrior with a pet" style of gameplay that Survival offers. The fantasy of holding a large, mean 2H weapon and using coordinated attacks with your pet beside you is very unique and appealing.

I mostly PVE in the world of Azeroth, and do LFG/LFR.

• I really enjoy having a pet for tanking and companionship.
  • I like taming and collecting pets.
  • Mogging a 2H weapon to feel like a warrior is great.
  • So in this sense SV Hunter seems to fill a niche that I hope stays.

What about BFA, will there be weapon choice for SV Hunters? I hope I can keep my large 2H weapon mog!
    Try not to fall to deep in love with Survival.

The BFA rework is a complete mess. Even Blizzard is confused with where they are trying to go with it.
    03/16/2018 04:36 PMPosted by Gundere

The BFA rework is a complete mess. Even Blizzard is confused with where they are trying to go with it.

What are they doing that changes the play style so drastically?
    03/16/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Moosefur

Its becoming a ranged/melee hybrid. If you want, you can go to my thread titled "my thoughts on most of BFA hunter" and see an up to date layout of almost everything for each spec.

Where do you see those changes?
    03/16/2018 05:12 PMPosted by Axeperson
    03/16/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Moosefur

Its becoming a ranged/melee hybrid. If you want, you can go to my thread titled "my thoughts on most of BFA hunter" and see an up to date layout of almost everything for each spec.

Don't listen to any of these people who call it a "hybrid", they are wrong. Its still pure melee it just suffers less when you have to back off a boss.
    Check Wowhead. All the BFA alpha abilities and talents are there.

They removed basically every melee ability we have, leaving only Raptor Strike baseline. Gave us the god awful Kill Command. And Aspect of the Eagle makes you throw spirit pigeons.
    03/16/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Pricefield
    03/16/2018 05:12 PMPosted by Axeperson

Don't listen to any of these people who call it a "hybrid", they are wrong. Its still pure melee it just suffers less when you have to back off a boss.

hy·brid
    noun

a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture.

Just because its best in melee doesn't mean it isn't a hybrid.

They removed basically every melee ability we have, leaving only Raptor Strike baseline. Gave us the god awful Kill Command. And made Aspect of the Eagle makes you throw spirit pigeons.

Wouldn't reccomend this without adblock. Wowhead is known for heavy use of ads and not caring about security. You might likely get a virus.

hy·brid
    noun

They removed basically every melee ability we have, leaving only Raptor Strike baseline. Gave us the god awful Kill Command. And made Aspect of the Eagle makes you throw spirit pigeons.

Wouldn't reccomend this without adblock. Wowhead is known for heavy use of ads and not caring about security. You might likely get a virus.

Okay then by your logic i can spam howling blast from range and I'm now a hybrid spec. Or plague on unholy. Don't forget enhance has ascendance guess their in the hybrid pool too!

See how silly you sound?
    Guess what? They are hybrid too. Just like card packs in stores are essentially loot boxes.

What do you think a hybrid car does? It uses more then one fuel.

The key differences is most melee classes doesnt have almost every key rotational ability with 30 yard range on it. BFA survival is just ranged heavy on the hybrid spectrum. Warriors have things like throw axe which give them some range but most of their damage is melee.

At best, if talented this way, survival has 4 melee basef abilites and one of those is flanking strike which is a leap attack, aka, ranged.
    Guess what? They are hybrid too. Just like card packs in stores are essentially loot boxes.

What do you think a hybrid car does? It uses more then one fuel.

The key differences is most melee classes doesnt have almost every key rotational ability with 30 yard range on it. BFA survival is just ranged heavy on the hybrid spectrum. Warriors have things like throw axe which give them some range but most of their damage is melee.

At best, if talented this way, survival has 4 melee basef abilites and one of those is flanking strike which is a leap attack, aka, ranged.

Ah, so I'm debating with someone who thinks a melee ability is ranged. I'd prefer to keep my sanity and argue with intelligent people only.
    Ok, pretend you know english then. Whatever.
    Frost and Enhancement are hybrid DPS, meaning both melee and ranged. Given that parameter, hybrid's would be categorized as melee and ranged, meaning they would get prioritized for ranged mechanics throughout the fight at least once. When you have a mechanic X that targets Y people, one of those should be a hybrid class. However, we've seen throughout Legion that hybrids like Frost, Enhancement, Unholy, and any others are never targeted by a ranged mechanic unless there isn't enough ranged in the group or alive.

Since that is the case and they are not targeted by ranged mechanics while being "hybrid" DPS, that is again both melee and ranged, these specs are not hybrids. Therefore, we can determine that these specializations and/or classes are not hybrids because their damage comes from being in melee range with some abilities to allow short stints of DPS at ranged, with most having an actual DPS loss when using those abilities instead of pooling resources.

Therefore, since Survival wants to be in melee as often as possible it is not a hybrid because it will function the same as these other listed specs do, particularly like Enhancement which is not a hybrid.

@OP: Survival is going under another rework. Lacerate, Mongoose Bite, and Flanking Strike are no longer baseline. Explosive Trap is being replaced by Wildfire Grenade which will function similarly to Dragonfire. Serpent Sting returns to "replace" Lacerate; Mongoose Bite and Flanking Strike move to a talent row together where you can pick one or the other, w/Bite replacing Raptor Strike. Raptor Strike is now the only melee ability and spends focus; Kill Command is a focus generator.

Most of your damage will come from spamming Raptor Strike, the rest from maintaining DoTs, auto-attacks, KC, and your pet. It's overall a huge mess at the moment.
    My judgment is my 2nd strongest damage and my DS is also ranged therefore paladins are melee and ranged hybrid aswell.

lol.

No.
    Half of my builders and 2/3rds of my spenders work beyond normal melee range. Does Rogue get to be a hybrid too?

Please, I wanna be in the club...

Oh and Warriors have multiple ranged abilities where they either throw their weapon at something, Thor it (hammer, thunder, or lightening), or jump on it from the back field. You gotta let them in the club too!

Oh and don’t forget DH. They throw their glaves, and do crazy stuff with their fel eye holes. Not to mention all the zoom zoom stuff they have.

Ohh, and every single caster can use all of their abilities from inside melee range, so they are hybrids too! That even makes MM Hunters hybrids too.!.!

Check under your seats folks everybody gets a hybrid!!!!!!
    weird that the discussion has turned into some odd argument about what is or is not a hybrid when all i want to know is how people feel about survival basically losing two buttons from their core rotation in BFA. stuff like lacerate is now replaced with the hybrid poison shot(oh crap, i shouldn't have said hybrid) but losing baseline Mongoose Bite and the Artifact ability just seems to be dumbing down the spec. yeah you can get some of them back with the new talents, but a lot of the times the pure numbers break down into saying "don't take extra buttons on your rotation, these passive from the same tier give you more dps". just seems really bizarre to have like 25% of the rotation just cut out.

i thought they were done with pruning but i guess in this new expansion everyone is getting bare min one power pruned(the artifact power that every class gains) and it looks like we're getting nothing in return. i guess this is going to be a long expansion of 2-4 button rotation classes.
    Don't listen to any of these people who call it a "hybrid

Honestly don’t listen to any of these salty people on either side. Go watch some people play the spec on YouTube.

Basically BfA SV is a melee class that baseline has more attacks it can perform from range than those that have to be melee range. Oh and it also chucks some kinda holographic or spirit birds.
    Its looking less messy which is good. You can spec more melee or more ranged depending on play style.
    I agree with you OP. The warrior w/ a pet fantasy is pretty cool Imo and its one of the reasons why I've stuck around with the spec throughout Legion. I think the main question here is that with the weapon options available to us in BfA... will we actually be able to loot those same weapons?

I, for example, really like transmogging to 2 handed axes. But when I go to farm Grimrail Depot for the appearance I want it doesn't drop for my hunter bc its a strength axe. In order to get it I have to log over to my warrior or death knight and farm it. Fix the loot table issue for survival and I think it would be pretty good.

hy·brid
    noun

Wouldn't that make every melee spec in WoW a hybrid?