Suggested Allied Race: Lightforged Humans

General Discussion
I made a thread about this before, but I can't find it with search history not working, so I thought I'd repost.

Blizzard asked us for suggestions on new Allied Races, so this is one I'd like to put forward: Lightforged Humans. Here are my thoughts.

1. BACKGROUND EXPLANATION
Firstly, I'm not suggesting that any old human be able to become Lightforged. Rather, that the Lightforged process is one which is specifically pursued by refugees of Lordaeron for a specific purpose. It's something which would make sense for the people of Lordaeron, who've already had a deep connection with the Light in the past, to lean into that background and go deeper with it, beyond becoming Paladins or Priests. And one can easily see the process being opened up to them. Particularly since the man who initially brought the Lightforged Draenei into the Alliance and holds a great deal of influence within the Army of the Light, Turalyon, is himself a citizen of Lordaeron. So who better to open the door for the citizens of Lordaeron to undergo the Lightforged process than Turalyon, the prototype for the Lightforged Human?

The reason why so many Lordaeron refugees would pursue the process to become Lightforged would tie directly into their storyline of Battle for Azeroth (Which is why it'd be specifically them and not, say, Lightforged Stormwind Humans, or Lightforged Bronzebeard Dwarves, and so on). With the fall of the Forsaken, reclaiming the Kingdom of Lordaeron for its living citizens is now tantalizingly close to coming to fruition. Unfortunately, Sylvanas seems to have plagued the land before she left. And that's before we take into account the various plagues and toxins which the Scourge had already riddled the land with. A normal human, then, would have very limited options in what they could do there or where they could live. A Lightforged Human, on the other hand, would be able to survive the poisonous toxins in the land. They could serve as the vanguard for the people of Lordaeron, cleansing the land in order to make it inhabitable for the greater mass of refugees who'll follow them. We've already seen something just like that with Light's Hope Chapel, as we see people infused with the power of the Light engaged in an effort to cleanse the land. Lightforged Humans would take that effort and expand it to a larger scale, using their connection to the Light to accelerate those efforts and spread them over the whole of Lordaeron.

So not only would there be story justification for their creation, but they'd fall perfectly within the Battle for Azeroth narrative. They'd enhance it, as we'd now have players who could specifically view the world through the eyes of a character who's native to Lordaeron and is actively fighting to reclaim their homeland, and would have NPC Humans specifically identified as Lordaeronians hanging about.

2. APPEARANCE
The difference between a Lightforged Human and a normal Stormwind Human would be obvious, namely the glowing eyes and the Lightforged tattoos. They could go further, though.

* Skin Colors: We could have more variety here than what we see with the Stormwind Human. They could introduce Humans who run every shade of skin color, from the whitest Caucasian to the blackest African, and everything in between. It'd be great if we'd see some true variety, and using the work on the Lightforged Human would be a great opportunity to justify taking the time to do the work, and then moving it over to the baseline Human (Similar to how regular Orcs, coincidentally, got their upright option right around the time that Blizzard started working on Mag'har Orcs).

* Hair Styles: They could use normal Human hairstyles, but they could also have different hair styles to represent different trends found amongst the people of Lordaeron. Let's see afros, mohawks, cornrows, receeding hair loss similar to Bruce Willis early in his career, etc. Again, as with skin colors, some of these hair styles could be reused on the normal Human to give them more variety, but a lot of others could remain a unique option for Lightforged Humans. They could even add in hair options which depict their being infused with the Light, similar to how Void Elf hair has become all voidy and tentacled. Or maybe hair with visible golden halos, similar to how Lightforged Draenei get their runes (For example: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-K9TCZBLlxfI/TxskHypMacI/AAAAAAAAAp0/gYyDdtdwzns/s1600/DSCN3875.JPG).

* Scarring: No group of people probably deserve a scarring option as much as the people of Lordaeron, who likely suffered horrors at the hands of the Scourge and later the Forsaken as they made their escape. We're talking Night of the Living Dead stuff here, where they were probably clawed at or chewed on by the Undead. Anyone who got out of Lordaeron likely had a harrowing journey, and likely didn't get out of it unscarred, so that'd be another great option available for them. Let's see claw marks on peoples faces, eye patches because they're missing an eye, chewed off ears, etc. They shouldn't all have scarring, but it'd be great if it were an option to add to your character.

3. RACIAL FEATURES
The racial features would naturally be different than both those offered by normal Humans as well as those of the Lightforged Draenei. This would be a great chance for Blizzard to give them something really characterful. They could get a combination of racials which not only speak to their new status as Lightforged beings, but also indicate that those traits have been affected by their status as refugees from Lordaeron. Some suggestions:

* Light's Judgment: Keep as-is.
* Holy Protection: Similar to Holy Resistance, except that it protects against disease and poison effects (Making them more resistant to the Forsaken plagues and such).
* Light's Reckoning: Possibly keep as-is, or maybe change it so that, rather than providing healing upon death, it instead cleanses nearby allies of effects (To further represent that in a lot of ways, their emphasis with the use of the Light would be to cleanse toxins, plagues, and poisons, rather than specifically healing).
* Undeadbane: Instead of Demonbane, they could have "Undeadbane", and get bonus experience from killing all kinds of Undead, whether they're Scourge, Forsaken, etc.
* Survivor: I can't think of anything specific, just an ability that reflects the hardiness of the Lordaeronians. That they're where they are because of some quality that gave them a slight edge and helped them escape. Maybe a Stamina increase, similar to Tauren, or maybe some other kind of bonus which makes them slightly more survivable than a comparable character. Basically, what trait would you ascribe to Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead? That's what they'd have.

4. CLASS CHOICES
Naturally, Lightforged Humans would not have the same class options as standard Humans. I would argue for the following:

* Warrior
* Paladin
* Hunter
* Priest
* Mage
* Monk

They definitely wouldn't be Warlocks, Druids, Death Knights, or Demon Hunters.

Maybe they could be Rogues (Can you hide in shadows with glowing eyes)? I'm not sure about that, although a Holy Assassin would be interesting.

Shamans, however, I think are a possibility. Remember, at Light's Hope Chapel we have both Paladins and Shamans working together to restore the land. So many some enterprising Lordaeronians, seeking to help cure their land, will learn shamanism from Rimblat Earthshatter or the other Earthen Ring members hanging about there? It's a thought.

5. FACTION LEADER
This would obviously be Calia Menethil. This would be a great way to bring her to the forefront, by having her undergo the Lightforged process (And maybe giving her a new, unique model in the process). Blizzard could then make her an important NPC in the forefront of the Alliance war efforts in the northern part of the Eastern Kingdoms, specifically tasked with the reclaiming of Lordaeron.

6. BENEFITS FOR BLIZZARD
As mentioned above, the inclusion of Lightforged Lordaeronian Humans would fit within the narrative, and they already have a means of introducing that through Turalyon, himself a Lordaeronian who very much wants to see his homeland rise from the ashes. So what does Blizzard get out of it?

1) They're an easy addition. Using the base human model, they'd just have to add a couple visual distinctions and that's it. Glowing eyes, Lightforged tattoos, some new hair, facial hair, skin tone, and scarring options, possibly halos, and they could call it a day. They could also use the development of the Lightforged Human as a means to broaden the variety of the standard Human. Just as Blizzard developed an upright option for Mag'har Orcs and then applied that change to the standard Orc, they could use the development of Lightforged Humans as a vehicle through which they can give some more and much needed diversity to the standard Human.

2) Lordaeron is very popular amongst the Alliance player base. How many people, to this day, still envision their Human character NOT as a Stormwind Human, but as a refugee from Lordaeron? Odds are we're talking about a sizeable number of players. Some of which would love to race change their character from a normal Human character to something which is specifically Lordaeronian.

3) They'd look awesome, and that counts for a lot. So basically they'd be taking the already popular human model, which accounts for 15.2% of the number of max level players, and making it cooler. This lends itself to further financial benefits for Blizzard, as we're talking about people paying for race changes, possibly even faction changes, and level boosts. Not to mention the number of people who'd level them from Level 20. In terms of the time and money that they'll invest in creating the model (Which won't be much), they'll likely get a very good ROI.

7. CONCLUSION
Making the people of Lordaeron a playable race, given the story that's unfolding in Battle for Azeroth, would be fantastic. However, it isn't enough to just use a regular human and just call it a day. They need a gimmick, similar to that of the Gilneans, who are Humans who turn into Worgen, or the Kul Tirans, who are visually distinctive. They need to be different enough, visually, character wise, and rules wise, to justify their inclusion as an Allied Race. Making them Lightforged gives them that distinction, and they'd make a great addition to the stable of Allied Races available to the Alliance.

So thoughts?
Sounds cool to me man.
I don't see why not, if Turalyon can do it others can too.
03/17/2018 03:01 PMPosted by Andastari
Turalyon is like a prodigy handling the light as a human though. Before he became a paladin, as a priest he was one of the best at a pretty young age

Then again Blizz loves wanking our characters in the lore so why not
03/17/2018 03:04 PMPosted by Chiju
Turalyon is like a prodigy handling the light as a human though. Before he became a paladin, as a priest he was one of the best at a pretty young age

Then again Blizz loves wanking our characters in the lore so why not

True, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be a prodigy with the Light to become Lightforged. I doubt that every Lightforged Draenei is anywhere close to his connection to the Light. From what I gather, becoming Lightforged is more about your level of commitment to your cause, and making the Light a part of yourself in order to advance your cause, rather than being exceptionally connected to the Light. So while Turalyon is the only Lightforged Human we know of so far, it's not because he's exceptional in that regard, but because he's the only Human in the lore so far who's had an opportunity to become Lightforged.

So if becoming Lightforged necessitates devotion to the Light and commitment to a cause, then who would fit the bill more than the people of Lordaeron? A people who are so devoted to the Light that they retained that connection to the Light even in undeath (I.E. the Scarlet Crusade), and who are intensely devoted to the cause of restoring Lordaeron to the living? There likely are a great many Lordaeronian refugees who're just as driven as those Draenei in the Army of the Light who become Lightforged.

Weird Aside: If Lightforged Humans with glowing eyes were to become an option, as well as making them black, then I'd totally make a black Lightforged Human Monk named Bruceleeroy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zErOLhzrJxM).

Serious Aside: If Lightforged Humans were to become an option, I'd race change this guy in a heartbeat. I'd love to not only play a race with racials which complement my class choice, but to be able to say he's a Lordaeronian and have him fight for his homeland.
Here's some art I've found through Google search that shows what I basically mean with Lightforged Humans. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that depicts the Lightforged tattoos, too.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QE7VEUDE7Bk/U2AaT8lf5cI/AAAAAAAABb0/1Ei_tfjq2WU/s1600/AasimarCover_Guido_Kuip_2014_s.jpg

http://alharadnd.wdfiles.com/local--files/aasimar/Aasimar.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/60/4d/ea/604dea1cf8ddd46631ee00dc52c23988.jpg

http://lrpc.wdfiles.com/local--files/aasimar/Aasimar2.png

https://68.media.tumblr.com/25d5b787b0b0347a440c7f4c14dfda8d/tumblr_ohkqc1hYdO1urkl64o1_500.jpg

It's pretty subdued in comparison to what Blizzard could come up with, though. I wish I had some artistic ability, because I'm sure someone with some artistic ability could show just how awesome Lightforged Humans can potentially look.
Nope, more lightforged would be stupid. Same as more void or more fire races.

Not really, Turalyon was only chosen because Xe'ra had an specific vision about him and Alleria.
03/17/2018 02:51 PMPosted by Azrael
* Monk

Why the Hell would Lightforged anything get Monk if Lightforged Draenei don't.
03/17/2018 04:01 PMPosted by Averyx

Not really, Turalyon was only chosen because Xe'ra had an specific vision about him and Alleria.

Whatever went on behind the scenes that resulted in Turalyon becoming a Lightforged Human, it no longer applies, because Xe'ra is dead. And as we've seen, the Army of Light continues to churn out Lightforged Draenei after the death of Xe'ra, so they still have the ability to create new Lightforged. So if they're able to make Turalyon Lightforged, then surely they can make other Lightforged Humans, with or without Xe'ra.

Although even if Xe'ra were still alive, why would it matter? If Turalyon was made Lightforged because Xe'ra had a vision about him, she could just as easily have had a vision about the people of Lordaeron becoming Lightforged. Maybe her vision included the sight of him fighting alongside other Lightforged Humans to reclaim his homeland?

03/17/2018 04:04 PMPosted by Hnetu
03/17/2018 02:51 PMPosted by Azrael
* Monk

Why the Hell would Lightforged anything get Monk if Lightforged Draenei don't.

Aren't Monk skills taught by the Pandaren? In which case, that fighting style is unique to Azeroth, which is why Lightforged Draenei don't have access to it, as they literally only just now stepped foot on Azeroth. So that would be the reason behind it. Not because being Lightforged would be somehow contrary to also being a Monk.
I support this as long as the flipside is a Void Gnome race.
Whatever went on behind the scenes that resulted in Turalyon becoming a Lightforged Human, it no longer applies, because Xe'ra is dead. And as we've seen, the Army of Light continues to churn out Lightforged Draenei after the death of Xe'ra, so they still have the ability to create new Lightforged. So if they're able to make Turalyon Lightforged, then surely they can make other Lightforged Humans, with or without Xe'ra.

Although even if Xe'ra were still alive, why would it matter? If Turalyon was made Lightforged because Xe'ra had a vision about him, she could just as easily have had a vision about the people of Lordaeron becoming Lightforged. Maybe her vision included the sight of him fighting alongside other Lightforged Humans to reclaim his homeland?

Draenei seem to be naturally affected by it, humans aren't. Turalyon being an example as the lightforging didn't really affect him other than giving him a longer lifespan and Xe'ra herself said that Turalyon was naturally stronger in the light than his race. Doesn't seem like other races can go through the same ritual ritual either as we can see T'paartos being guided by a draenei spirit.
03/17/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Averyx
Draenei seem to be naturally affected by it, humans aren't. Turalyon being an example as the lightforging didn't really affect him other than giving him a longer lifespan and Xe'ra herself said that Turalyon was naturally stronger in the light than his race. Doesn't seem like other races can go through the same ritual ritual either as we can see T'paartos being guided by a draenei spirit.

We really haven't seen how much the process has affected Turalyon. That longer lifespan might come with other benefits that so far remain unseen (Like the aforementioned resistance to plague, toxin, and disease, which would be a boon to any Lordaeronian who'd like to reclaim their homeland). And as the prototypical Lightforged Human, he doesn't have to be exactly the same. Look at Alleria as an example of that. She's technically the first "Void Elf", but she's very different from the other Void Elves. Turalyon's lightforging may have been shaped by Xe'ra to fulfill a specific purpose, so without her interference, any future Lightforged Humans might come out of it with some differences in what they get out of it (Like what I listed in my OP, versus the immortality granted to Turalyon).

Moreover, the ritual being guided by Draenei spirits doesn't necessarily mean that other races can't undergo that ritual (After all, who guided the very first Lightforged Draenei? Maybe a Na'ru? Or maybe the ritual just uses the spirits of those who've died in the service of the Light in the past, so the ritual for a human might allow them to contact the spirit of, say, Uther Lightbringer). It just means that it'd be new for other races to undergo it. Paladins are a great example. Draenei had access to the class thousands of years before Humans, and yet Humans were able to develop the class independent of the Draenei. How much easier would it be, then, to have Draenei show them the Lightforged process? Particularly when we're talking about a species, Humans, who've also shown to possess an affinity with the Light (Turalyon, Anduin, Uther, etc.), and a culture, that of the people of Lordaeron, which are heavily devoted to the Light (Something which we've seen, again, with the Scarlet Crusade, who maintained their connection to the Light even after they were turned into Scourge)?

IMO, I don't think we've seen any reason why Humans can't become Lightforged. We've seen the opposite, as Turalyon himself has become Lightforged. And given that we've also seen that the Army of the Light can continue creating Lightforged in the absence of a Na'ru, there's a definite possibility of seeing more Lightforged Humans.
I would actually prefer LF Humans than Kul'Tirans. And even LF Draenei. Though I'm not complaining, I'm enjoying my LFD, just I have never really been fond of playing Draenei.

(I think it's the tail...Or the hooves...) Oh well, they are ok, just not preferred. lol
03/17/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Amarthya
I would actually prefer LF Humans than Kul'Tirans. And even LF Draenei. Though I'm not complaining, I'm enjoying my LFD, just I have never really been fond of playing Draenei.

(I think it's the tail...Or the hooves...) Oh well, they are ok, just not preferred. lol

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the Draenei. Nothing against them. They just don't catch my interest.

I would, however, love to be able to play a character which is specifically Lordaeronian. You can't do that in the current game, though, because otherwise they'd just be another regular Human, all of whom are from Stormwind. They need a "gimmick" to stick out from all the other human factions. That's how we got Gilneans. They're not just humans, but humans who turn into worgen. And now we've got Kul Tirans, whose "gimmick" is that they're fat humans. We can't go body shape with Lordaeronians, though, because the idea of being fat serving as the basis of an Allied Race is making people angry. And really, where can Blizzard go from there? Stormwind Humans are the buff, physically fit humans, Kul Tirans are the fat humans, and Lordaeronians are the super skinny humans?

They need something, and making them Lightforged would not only introduce a great looking race to the game, but it'd fit right into the lore of the people and the things going on in the upcoming expansion. Becoming Lightforged would be extremely fitting for the people who invented Paladins and who have a strong devotion to the Light. And it'd be doubly fitting for those people to go down a road that'll give them an extra edge in finally reclaiming their homeland. Particularly when Turalyon, one of the most famous Paladins of Azeroth's history, is from Lordaeron, is himself a Lightforged Human, and would have a direct influence over the decision of whether to allow refugees from Lordaeron to subject themselves to the Lightforged process. It makes sense all around, and it'd be great if Blizzard were to create a Lightforged Human as an Allied Race, and give us that storyline where we get to play as a character who's specifically a refugee from Lordaeron trying to reclaim their homeland.
03/17/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Azrael
Aren't Monk skills taught by the Pandaren? In which case, that fighting style is unique to Azeroth, which is why Lightforged Draenei don't have access to it, as they literally only just now stepped foot on Azeroth. So that would be the reason behind it. Not because being Lightforged would be somehow contrary to also being a Monk.

This is a dumb reason. Draenei had Jed'hin a hundred thousand years before there was a Pandaren anything, let alone a Monk. Besides that, playable Lightforged are newly recruited from the Draenei who crashed on Azeroth.
03/17/2018 08:57 PMPosted by Lumineus
This is a dumb reason. Draenei had Jed'hin a hundred thousand years before there was a Pandaren anything, let alone a Monk.

There's a difference between being someone skilled in hand-to-hand combat or some kind of martial art and being what Warcraft actually terms a "Monk." Whether it's the Brewmaster or the Mistweaver, a lot of what they do specifically originates in Pandaria and only works because it comes from that context.

If the class were called the "Brawler" or "Martial Artist", then I'd agree with you. But it's the Monk. And the Monk, as we know of it in World of Warcraft, is heavily dependent on its ties to Pandaria for how the class works and what it does to make sense. Things which don't exist on Argus. There's no Jade Serpent on Argus, after all. Nor are Draenei noted for using alcoholism to fight.

Besides that, playable Lightforged are newly recruited from the Draenei who crashed on Azeroth.

I didn't see any indication of that. I assumed the new Lightforged Draenei were recruits from the Army of the Light (Which seems to be predominantly Draenei but not necessarily Lightforged). T'Paartos, for instance, didn't seem to be an Azerothian Draenei. Do you have a source that points to the playable Lightforged Draenei being Draenei that were on board the Exodar?
Not a good idea.
1. Allied races have skin colors actually relavent to them. It's why you don't see green draenai or void elves. Void elves are purple, LF draenai are white, nighborne are blue etc.
2. Literally the only added thing would be that they'd have yellow eyes and maybe some lightforged tatts that you'd never see under the armor anyway.

Basically all you're asking for is humans with different eye color.
No no, feel free to take Turalyon we like Fareeya better anyways.
Well, it would probably be the only way humans got new hair and face options like Turalyon and his epic battle scars, "not on the horizon" otherwise, especially when body sliders are being made into races now... Plus there's the armor, which would probably be a different color (yellow vs the maroon one LFD get). That might be worth it to some. Personally, would rather have a number of other races beforehand.
Void Humans would be better. Still bad, but better.