What's your advice for starting WoW in 2018?

General Discussion
Hey folks! Long time reader, apparently not a very big poster. I am writing a story for a website about getting into the game in 2018, basically tips for folks who have somehow never played before and suddenly feel the itch. While I have my own opinionated take on starting races, classes for beginners, finding a guild and basically what to expect, I am interested in including community input into the piece.

So, any tips for someone looking to play WoW for the first time?
when you reach max level do everything you can to expose yourself to as many new and different situations as you can, do things that challenge you and make you uncomfortable.

It's the best way to learn
Be chill, go to your own rhythm and try stuff out till you find what you like.
Save your boosts. Level at least one character fresh from level 1 all the way up. Learn the game slowly before you get thrown into the deep end with a fresh 100 or 110.
02/28/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Rande
Hey folks! Long time reader, apparently not a very big poster. I am writing a story for a website about getting into the game in 2018, basically tips for folks who have somehow never played before and suddenly feel the itch. While I have my own opinionated take on starting races, classes for beginners, finding a guild and basically what to expect, I am interested in including community input into the piece.

loads of material here

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/1011644/
The game is increasingly built on compelling you to log in consistently to do certain chores (it's how they measure success for their shareholders now that they no longer report sub numbers).

Tell yourself that it is okay to skip days that you just don't feel like playing. Keep telling yourself. Figure out what your goal is and focus on it, rather than trying to do everything. Trying to maintain every system the game offers you is exhausting and will burn you out.
Never assume anything about any aspect of the game, good or bad. There have been various parts of the game over the years that I never tried because I assumed based on the in-game description (or just plain ignorance), that I wouldn't enjoy them. Lo & Behold, I ended up not liking some of them. Others? I ended up getting really involved in. Examples on both sides of that coin: Pet battles- Didn't think I'd dig that to much and I was right. Just boring to me. On the other hand? PvP- Was intimidated by it because of all the negative stuff I'd read and heard from various sources. Ended up really enjoying it, (although I suck at it, lol).

Short answer: Try it all as you go.
Don't be surprised if you end up mostly playing by yourself into max level. It doesn't mean people aren't social in this game, it's just that most people speed through leveling and don't bother grouping up like other MMOs. WoW has infinitely more to do at end game than other MMOs, though, especially in a group.
I used to recommend WoW to everyone, now I tell them not to bother.
Don't be in a rush to get to the end game. Yes, I know it's all exciting and new and what friends you may have are in the top levels or whatever. But all that stuff you want to rush through is content, it is lore, and it is meaningful. Read the quests. Explore the world, there are books scattered here and there in otherwise empty cabins or whatever and they each have something to say.

WoW is not a sprint, it's an ultra-marathon. It will take time. It's meant to be that way. It really isn't meant to be done with a quest helper and your nose only right in front of you ignoring everything else around you.

Having said that, play what and how you want to play. If you aren't having fun then either the character or the game is not for you. No problems with that, there are a lot of games that are not right for me either.
Do not use the default key bindings. I did at first and you will suck!!!!
1. Take no shortcuts. Level a character from 1 to 110 by doing quests and maybe a few dungeons.

2. Stay off the forums, unless you have a specific question about something in the game. Ignore all the angst and negativity.

3. Play at your own pace. Don't be in a rush to "catch up" to everyone else. Learn the game and your character as you go.

4. Remember, there will never be a second chance at a first time experience. Enjoy the newness while it lasts.
Get lost in the story if you can. Ignore the rest till it comes naturally.
You guys are so perfect. :)
You will feel overwhelmed and miss tons of the game at first. Your going to focus on questing first because that's what's right in front of you. And that alone will seem like you're barely able to handle it. Then you will discover the other dimensions of the game, like professions, economy, dungeons, pvp, achievements, vanity collecting, and the like. And before you know it 6-7 hours will have gone by.

Just take it slow but explore everything around you - click all the buttons on your bar, see what all the menu settings do, just explore it all until it becomes second nature.
roll horde since it seems once again Blizz is going to make sure theyre the center of attention
02/28/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Rande

Don't.
For the Horde!
In other words, you want us to write your article for you? How much will you be paying us?
02/28/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Aarschott
4. Remember, there will never be a second chance at a first time experience. Enjoy the newness while it lasts.

This is really so vitally important.

The game is best when new. When its fresh. As you discover each zone.

To be honest, right now is the best time to start the game.

Because you have several months to casually level a character, go through the zones and the world, and the expansions, and then have a character ready for the next expansion.

When the next expansion hits, it'll all fill up with new players. Nobody will know anything, everything is new for everyone.

So, while as a whole the game is in "end expansion lull", for a new player, it's the perfect time. Their friends will have more time to spend with them, perhaps leveling with them, etc.