BFA Alpha New SV Talent

Hunter
Int the recent BFA Alpha update SV got a tasty new talent in our level 15 row.

Viper's Venom Talent
Requires Hunter (Survival)
Requires level 15
Raptor Strike has a 15% chance to make your next Serpent Sting cost no Focus and deal an additional 200% initial damage.

Im not sure about anyone else but this will be one of my go toos for survival in BFA seeing how it makes the spammy nature that will be raptor strike make a lot of sense. Also since Serpent sting will benefit from our mastery its clearly the strongest potential damage of all three talents in the level 15 row.

Still waiting to see what they put in for our level 90 and level 100 slots but so far Im intrigued.
It might be one of the most boring talents of all time. You spam a boring ability to sometimes grant another generic ability a damage bonus.

/puke
02/28/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Bushsbuddy
It might be one of the most boring talents of all time. You spam a boring ability to sometimes grant another generic ability a damage bonus.

/puke

One frequently used ability having a chance at a proc that impacts another ability is a way you could describe something with a ton of classes and specs.

Do you hate all of them or is it something deeper about SV?
Goodness knows we need more passive talents. Not like we have enough already. /s

Just seems like they had no idea what to put there so they slapped on an extremely generic talent that just increases something's damage.
02/28/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Telea
02/28/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Bushsbuddy

/puke

One frequently used ability having a chance at a proc that impacts another ability is a way you could describe something with a ton of classes and specs.

I mean, I hate the current Alpha SV because its boring and generic. On top of that they keep adding boring and generic talents, and this one they even thought about for a while, then made it boring and generic.

So to answer your question its yes and yes.
Rofl guys, look at outlaw lv 15 talent which buffs pistol shot, this talent gives almost the same effect.

So they are giving us both pistol shot animation and a worse outlaw talent. I wonder what's next.

Gotta love these class design. We basically bm+outlaw now boys
"We're on the hunt for something awesome to go here!"

Increases initial Serpent Sting damage sometimes.

Why not, instead, you make it so that the proc causes your next application of Serpent Sting to apply a separate DoT. It could cause Serpent Sting to transform into "Viper Sting" which deals more damage initially and overtime. Hunters wouldn't have to worry about clipping the bonus damage by trying to keep the DoT up because it will be a separate DoT on the target. You could also try giving it an effect that causes your Serpent Sting to have a chance to deal bonus damage while it is active on the target.

So perhaps something like this:

Viper Sting
Raptor Strike has a 15% chance to transform your next Serpent Sting into Viper Sting. Viper Sting lasts 8 seconds and deals 20% more damage than Serpent Sting over its duration. Additionally, Viper Sting causes your Serpent Sting ticks on the same target to have a 30% chance to deal 50% more damage.

As a purely passive talent choice, that sounds a lot more interesting than increasing the damage of the initial application of a damage over time effect.
02/28/2018 09:35 PMPosted by Bushsbuddy

I mean, I hate the current Alpha SV because its boring and generic. On top of that they keep adding boring and generic talents, and this one they even thought about for a while, then made it boring and generic.

Understood
02/28/2018 10:08 PMPosted by Thrandal

I know it wasn’t your intent, but that description makes it sound kind of cool.

Outlaw is an absolute blast to actually play. You can’t step into the sewers without tripping over dozens of those guys even though the spec has underperformed all expansion.

Sub players(plate spinning spec) seem to be few and far between these days though.
02/28/2018 10:27 PMPosted by Telea

I know it wasn’t your intent, but that description makes it sound kind of cool.

Outlaw is an absolute blast to actually play. You can’t step into the sewers without tripping over dozens of those guys even though the spec has underperformed all expansion.

Sub players(plate spinning spec) seem to be few and far between these days though.

Yea, I agree with you, outlaw is pretty dope.
That's not my point though, which is: we shouldn't be similar to either outlaw or bm. Unfortunately, with how it is being developed in BFA's alpha, I think the current dev team is having trouble finding the right fantasy for the spec.
Outstanding.
Another ability that diminishes the spec to "press the shiny button"

Cool. Great. Good.

Why are they screwing up Survival?

What's so hard about just cutting down on the plates but keeping mongoose bite/flanking strike? These ranged abilities should be the talents, not baseline.

THEY GOT IT BACKWARDS!
03/01/2018 03:48 AMPosted by Rhogdul
What's so hard about just cutting down on the plates but keeping mongoose bite/flanking strike?

Apparently quite a bit.

These ranged abilities should be the talents or baseline for Beast Mastery which desperately needs more player attacks.

FTFY

I love BM and Outlaw, we won't have Roll the Bones. Sign me the !@#$ up! :D
so SV is literally just the copy and paste spec. i wonder what they will throw at it next.
03/01/2018 07:33 AMPosted by Yura
so SV is literally just the copy and paste spec. i wonder what they will throw at it next.
Obliterate or Mortal Strike for good measure; then there'd be a second melee ability.
03/01/2018 07:13 AMPosted by Derpykittens

I love BM and Outlaw, we won't have Roll the Bones. Sign me the !@#$ up! :D

I know right!?!? I would play the crap outa that!
02/28/2018 09:35 PMPosted by Bushsbuddy

You mention that its boring but what would be an example of something thats interesting also at the level 15 slot you really can't have something ridiculously complex. Furthermore based off what ive read of other specs this talent isn't even that bad. But what would you recommend to add to the spec in place of this talent bearing in mind the intended playstyle and mastery of the new survival.
03/01/2018 08:54 PMPosted by Striperellá
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You mention that its boring but what would be an example of something thats interesting also at the level 15 slot you really can't have something ridiculously complex. Furthermore based off what ive read of other specs this talent isn't even that bad. But what would you recommend to add to the spec in place of this talent bearing in mind the intended playstyle and mastery of the new survival.

It's hard to create any talents that would make the horrible base gameplay fun, and work within the context of the rest of the row, however I will try.

I'd say, your serpent sting grants 3 focus per tick, and has a chance to cause your next raptor strike to deal 300% damage. That's still pretty boring but its simple and a slight bit exciting when you see a proc.

Here's a better idea all together: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20761737116?page=1

It's hard to create any talents that would make the horrible base gameplay fun, and work within the context of the rest of the row, however I will try.

I'd say, your serpent sting grants 3 focus per tick, and has a chance to cause your next raptor strike to deal 300% damage. That's still pretty boring but its simple and a slight bit exciting when you see a proc.

Here's a better idea all together: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20761737116?page=1

Focus aside this talent does that. It increases the initial damage of serpent sting and serpent sting as a focus spender benefits from our mastery in the same way as raptor strike would which means if given the passives we can have a dot focused sv hunter build which is not something that could happen with mongoose bite baseline. Blizz even changed wildfire bomb to also cost focus so it too will benefit from our mastery.

So basically unlike in legion you are gonna be more punished for being focus capped and letting your dots drop off. Which to me from what I’ve read with the right talents a few passives it could have real potiental.
03/01/2018 10:54 PMPosted by Striperellá

Focus aside this talent does that. It increases the initial damage of serpent sting and serpent sting as a focus spender benefits from our mastery in the same way as raptor strike would which means if given the passives we can have a dot focused sv hunter build which is not something that could happen with mongoose bite baseline. Blizz even changed wildfire bomb to also cost focus so it too will benefit from our mastery.

So basically unlike in legion you are gonna be more punished for being focus capped and letting your dots drop off. Which to me from what I’ve read with the right talents a few passives it could have real potiental.

The reward being SS initial damage doesn't make sense to me, that's why I reverse it. Plus my way would benefit from multi dotting, and synergize with hydra bites on the next row, and mongoose bite.