[A] Looking for an elitist RP guild.

Wyrmrest Accord
Hello everyone.

I am considering a transfer to Wrymrest Accord and am looking for an elitist RP guild on the Alliance side.

I am a friendly person who takes writing very seriously and am looking for other like minded individuals.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thank you all.
*Puts up popcorn stand.*
*settles down with a pot of tea*
*braces for impact*
As much as I’d love to grab popcorn and settle in with tea, I’ll make a few suggestions to the OP:

“Elitist” has a really bad connotation that does not include the word ‘friendly’. It’s usually a term people don’t want to apply to themselves as it immediately makes them come off as unfriendly, unapproachable, or as one of those people who will just make fun of other RPers behind their backs.

I say that from experience because, back in the day (like 2008 ‘in the day’) I was super proud to apply that label to me and I was just an unpleasant disaster of a person despite being convinced both by myself and by the mostly equally disaster type friends I had at the time, that I was really just a serious writer whose “criticisms” and elitism was helpful to the community (Spoiler: It wasn’t, and it left me with a reputation that some people still only know me by a decade later, and it’s not a good reputation. Hi to anyone who remembers me from Moon Guard, and my sincerest apologies for what a complete trash person I was back then).

You can have standards for your own writing and want to be around people who are of similar mind, there’s nothing wrong with that, but you’re unlikely to find what you’re looking for or get a particularly warm welcome when stating you want an “elitist” RP guild.

That aside, you’ll likely find a better match if you detail what you’re looking for in terms of any or all of the following:

- Do you want a guild that holds regular events and has large, involved story arcs, or are you looking for something more casual without a lot of time commitments?

- If yes to the regular events and involved story arcs, what kindare you looking for? Military, bandit/pirate, secret society, horrible warlocks trying to ruin everything, cults, house/noble stuff, clan/warband stuff, race specific story lines, something I haven't thought of to list?

- Are you looking for a guild that’s looking for storytellers and event/plot arc leaders, or are you looking more to join in as a participant vs. someone leading the story (or do you want to do both)?

- Do you already have an established character/story that you want to work into an existing guild’s story line and, if yes, add a little detail about your character/backstory and maybe a few ideas of how you could integrate that into various types of guilds.

- Are you willing to go through an application/interview process?

- Are you looking for a guild that has its own website/forums (Enjin or otherwise), or does that not matter to you?

- Want a guild with a Discord or do you not care about that sort of thing?

Specifying those sorts of things are helpful for people who are guild recruiters watching forum threads.

I'll end by saying you're definitely not a good fit for the Alliance guild I'm in as we're super small, casual, and 'elitist' is a word we don't use. Most days we don't even use the word serious.

Good luck finding what you're looking for, however.
02/16/2018 09:10 AMPosted by Calleo

I say that from experience because, back in the day (like 2008 ‘in the day’) I was super proud to apply that label to me and I was just an unpleasant disaster of a person despite being convinced both by myself and by the mostly equally disaster type friends I had at the time, that I was really just a serious writer whose “criticisms” and elitism was helpful to the community (Spoiler: It wasn’t, and it left me with a reputation that some people still only know me by a decade later, and it’s not a good reputation. Hi to anyone who remembers me from Moon Guard, and my sincerest apologies for what a complete trash person I was back then).

Guaranteed that literally everyone goes through this phase.

The important thing is that it was a phase for you and didn't result in a lifestyle.
02/16/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Grandmaster
02/16/2018 09:10 AMPosted by Calleo

Guaranteed that literally everyone goes through this phase.

The important thing is that it was a phase for you and didn't result in a lifestyle.

Yeah, I still like to try and talk people out of even trying it as a phase though, it had nothing but bad results and I ended up hurting a lot of people completely unnecessarily because of it.

I've talked to some people I gave "advice" to on their RP back then that straight up told me it made them terrified to even have an RP profile (let alone RP in public) because they didn't want to be made fun of again and as bad as hearing that made me feel, I made those people feel even worse. :\

Not to mention every other 'elitist' I hung out with spent half their time making fun of basically everyone's RP for one reason or another, even their friends' writing. Just--totally not worth it, and nobody I've met that wasn't a trash person like I was uses 'elitist' as a positive thing.

These days, red flags in a profile for me are 'elitist' and 'lore compliant'.
They just make me kind of recoil not want to interact with that person.

Maybe the OP doesn't care because they're currently in that phase and I know very well how stubborn people in that phase (IT'S NOT A PHASE, MOM is the battlecry, mostly) are because I went through it, but I'd like to think they just made a poor wording choice.
Define what it is you're looking for. Right now I'm assuming you want:

1. 100% IC while online.
2. Fully fleshed out characters with back stories, history, motivations and flaws.
3. Character driven actions from both your characters and those you RP with.
4. Personal and guild story arcs that make sense from both personal and guild POV.
5. Para RP.
6. IC consequences for IC actions that lead up to and include permanent injuries and death. This would include consequences such as exhaustion from casting or maintaining an unusually strong spell or from fighting a "boss."
7. Online forum RP to accompany your in-game RP in order to flesh out your RP experience further.
8. No marysue type characters, unkillable characters or characters that "always" succeed.
Ashenreach is recruiting. Contact me in game and I'll give you the application, along with the other necessary documents to be considered for an interview with the council who forwards applicants to my subordinates. There are a series of trials after that and they're quite rigorous, though not impossible by any means. The top of the class is then considered for a second interview with the council and then a third with myself.

Lmk
I'm not certain if this was a serious post, but if it was, it was a poor choice of words. :-/ Elitism has no place in RP, but taking writing seriously (and surrounding yourself with like-minded RPers) certainly can have its place here.

I'd like to echo the other posters above that you need to define what you're looking for. As the GM of an Alliance guild, I immediately have zero idea what you're actually wanting aside from to be able to write, write well, and be around other writers in a guild. As a recruiter I would look for things such as:
  • do you have any ideas thematically what you'd like (race or culture-centered RP, dark or criminal organizations, military style organizations, etc)?
  • How often you'd like to RP?
  • Are there other facets of the game you're looking for from a guild (PvE, PvP, etc)?
  • What is your time zone? WrA is a Pacific-time based server and generally most events start around 5-6PM server time, but not all guilds schedule the same way.

You may also want to consider joining the WrA Discord to look over the ads for some guilds that may not advertise here on the forums, if you're unsure on some of those answers and need a bit of perspective.